Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help: Smashed rear side window glass

drmanhattan

drmanhattan

VIP Member
my family are at a campsite in France and we just found the wardrobe window (rear near side) double glazed glass has been completely shattered. We think it was from a stone thrown up by a campsite grass mower. The inner glass appears intact. Outside glass is smashed. I've put a bin liner and tape on it for the ride home to the UK. I'm worried as this is probably the most difficult and therefore costliest window to replace. Has anyone here had this glass replaced? if so, was it a straightforward replacement and what was the repair cost?

IMG_6752.JPG

It should be straight forward enough I'm guessing the window is bonded in so not a problem for a glass fitter. Pita though.I hope you get it sorted without any probs

Thanks Calikev. It's reassuring to hear that. I'll post here about the outcome.

What was the outcome with this. Mine has just been smashed when my van was broken into in Bristol today. Not much nicked but it’s a hell of a mess and of course can’t get anything done until at least Tuesday now and we are supposed to be going to Ireland on Thursday!! They smashed the drivers door window as well - b******s.

What was the outcome with this. Mine has just been smashed when my van was broken into in Bristol today. Not much nicked but it’s a hell of a mess and of course can’t get anything done until at least Tuesday now and we are supposed to be going to Ireland on Thursday!! They smashed the drivers door window as well - b******s.

Where in Bristol did this happen?

Has anyone else had to replace the rear side window? How long did it take Autoglass to source one. Worried about having it done by Thursday when we’re off to Ireland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Road, Leigh Woods.

That area is very popular with mountain bikers. They must have thought your California had a lot of valuables inside.

Reactions: DM
That area is very popular with mountain bikers. They must have thought your California had a lot of valuables inside.

Yes - there were plenty of cars and dog walkers when we arrived. I guess they only need a couple of minutes. They’d be disappointed. All they got was my wife’s very old iPhone which I immediately locked so is now useless. But loads of hassle for me .

North Road, Leigh Woods.

Very sorry to read this. We live about a mile from there just over the bridge and it is, unfortunately, well known for it. The walks and cycle rides around there are fabulous and take a while to do which gives the scallywags, footpads, naer-do-wells, etc long enough to do their worst.

Very sorry to read this. We live about a mile from there just over the bridge and it is, unfortunately, well known for it. The walks and cycle rides around there are fabulous and take a while to do which gives the scallywags, footpads, naer-do-wells, etc long enough to do their worst.

Autoglass have a big base just off the M5 near Almondsbury and Heritage VW have a showroom & Sales not far from the M32 - they might have a source of replacements. 0117 203 3378

Thanks Simon. I live in the East Mids - we had a chilly drive home on Saturday evening.

I am insured with Comfort who use Autoglass. They have been fairly good so far - arranged for the AA to attend my home address to weatherproof the vehicle.

I’ve been promised a call first thing tomorrow to arrange fitting.

I’m just trying to work out what tint is on them now. I can’t remember whether I ordered it with extra tint. Think I just went for factory standard in the end.

Sorry to hear, such bad luck and a poor end to your visit to Bristol.
I hope the repair happens quickly and you can get on with your travels.

Alan

Sorry to hear, such bad luck and a poor end to your visit to Bristol.

The irony is that we’d spent the day viewing flats for my daughter in much less upmarket areas with no problems. I guess the crooks know what they are doing targeting the posh areas.

Ok - I’m trying to make sure that Autoglass order the right side window. I can’t afford for any delay.

When I purchased my Cali I ordered the Privacy Glass Option. This was listed on one quote as BW option QL0. Does that sound correct.

What’s worrying me is that I cannot find QL0 on the list of options sticker on the service book - although it is very difficult to make them out. I have got one that looks a bit like 3L0 but the 3 is very indiatinct and not like other 3s. Maybe it’s a poorly printed Q.

Has anyone else got this option. Is the QL0 obvious on the sticker?

Thanks.

What’s worrying me is that I cannot find QL0 on the list of options sticker/QUOTE]

The reason I’m worried is that the dealer screwed up other options and failed to include them on the VW order even though they charged me for them.

Ok - I’m trying to make sure that Autoglass order the right side window. I can’t afford for any delay.

When I purchased my Cali I ordered the Privacy Glass Option. This was listed on one quote as BW option QL0. Does that sound correct.

What’s worrying me is that I cannot find QL0 on the list of options sticker on the service book - although it is very difficult to make them out. I have got one that looks a bit like 3L0 but the 3 is very indiatinct and not like other 3s. Maybe it’s a poorly printed Q.

Has anyone else got this option. Is the QL0 obvious on the sticker?

Thanks.

I have a 3LO on the last line in my vehicle Data Sticker, but I've no idea what it means. That window is behind the wardrobe so apart from the little rectangle of glass which the plastic slide out tray thing fits over, there is nothing visible. If you get the wrong one I'm not sure if it would show or not from outside, but from inside it shouldn't.

Only a thought, have you told Autoglass that the window is double glazed? I seem to remember someone a long time ago broke a rear double glazed screen and it was hard to find one as they are only used in the California. The rear ones at the side are also both double glazed.

Good call @SimonB . Autoglass don't stock the double glazed windows, you need to order these from Volkswagen, ours took around 7 days to arrive as it had to come from Germany

Good call @SimonB . Autoglass don't stock the double glazed windows, you need to order these from Volkswagen, ours took around 7 days to arrive as it had to come from Germany

Oh S***. That’s what I feared. We are supposed to be going on holiday to Ireland on Thursday - somehow I can’t see that happening

I smashed my back window. It took 4 attempts to get the right glass, Autoglass couldn’t cope with a double glazed unit and had to come from Germany, sorry ! Even if they put a SINGLE glazed unit in just now perhaps ?

Even if they put a SINGLE glazed unit in just now perhaps ?

Thanks - I’ll certainly ask if there is any possibility of that. Otherwise I fear our holiday is a write-off before it’s even started.

Oh S***. That’s what I feared. We are supposed to be going on holiday to Ireland on Thursday - somehow I can’t see that happening

I do hope you resolved it. It's a bad memory to take away from Bristol and worse when it spoils your holiday as well.

I do hope you resolved it.

Thanks Simon. It’s resolved in as far as we are not going on holiday in the van next week!

But we have fortunately been able to rearrange our holidays. In unplanned trip to Iceland for the first week - whilst the van is fixed - and then a shorter trip to Ireland later in the summer in the Van. We’ve always wanted to go to Iceland so that should be good.

It’s currently at the local dealer waiting to be fixed - estimate is 1 - 2 weeks to source the glass. Ironically they have to get Autoglass in to actually fit it but I have more confidence that they will order the correct glass.

Total cost is likely to be £75 glass excess, £100 gadget insurance excess and £59 to change my ferries. Could have been worse I guess.

Back