Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

HELP! SPARE 17" ALLOY WHEEL AND TYRE NEEDED

Julian_Camper_Man

Julian_Camper_Man

I am looking to buy a decent SPARE 17" ALLOY WHEEL AND TYRE since it was not provided on my brand new Cali with 18" wheels. So on top of trying to buy a good quality tyre and wheel i also need to buy the bracket they removed in Germany!

My fault for spending more money than sense on 18" wheels

Any good people who can help would be appreciated - close to Wales would be really helpful!

Would agree. For an £100 I went with a matching alloy spare and now somewhat regret it.

Has anyone an alloy or a steel wheel with tyre to sell please before I go ahead and order the replacement of the bracket? :)

Last edited:
The issue I see with a steel spare wheel is that you can’t (rather won’t) rotate them. An alloy spare can be rotated giving you 25% longer wear out of the 5 tyres. Then if you want you can keep the least worn tyre as a spare in the next cycle. Once the tyre is 7-8 years old you should replace tyres anyway so having an as-new spare tyre that you don’t use is a waste of money in my opinion.

I am looking to buy a decent SPARE 17" ALLOY WHEEL AND TYRE since it was not provided on my brand new Cali with 18" wheels. So on top of trying to buy a good quality tyre and wheel i also need to buy the bracket they removed in Germany!

My fault for spending more money than sense on 18" wheels

Any good people who can help would be appreciated - close to Wales would be really helpful!
Had the same issue with a new combo 6.1
Solution
The bracket and bolt can be bought for about £20 brand new from a company advertising on eBay, this company modifies vw vans for wheelchair access through the back doors which necessitates removing the spare wheel bracket… all brand new
Wheel with tyre from eBay or breakers
Suggest steel and re spray. With aluminium rattle can
Job done diy for less than £50

Alloy is lighter and won’t rust. Usually a few on EBay / FB marketplace.

The issue I see with a steel spare wheel is that you can’t (rather won’t) rotate them. An alloy spare can be rotated giving you 25% longer wear out of the 5 tyres. Then if you want you can keep the least worn tyre as a spare in the next cycle. Once the tyre is 7-8 years old you should replace tyres anyway so having an as-new spare tyre that you don’t use is a waste of money in my opinion.
The OP had 18inch wheels and wanted a spare 17inch alloy so the rotation to with the other 4 wheels would be a non starter.