Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help! Suncream marks on paintwork

P

Pillarsalders

We have lots of fingerprints and handprints on our dark blue 2008 cali which we think must be made when someone touches the van after putting on suncream. Ordinary car washing does nothing. Any ideas how best to remove them without doing more damage?

googling it came up with a few suggestions that are supposed to work ,no idea if they do
1) magic sponge
2) pencil eraser ,followed by orange juice then elbow grease
3) Autoglym paint restorer

It's nasty stuff, I had this on a previous car.

The longer it stays on the more damage it does. I used T-cut which improved a lot, but still some patches left.

T cut? WTF? Why use an abrasive all you need is a degreaseant?

Yes, T-cut.

Chemicals in sun cream etch through the clear coat permanently damaging it. You might get away with a degreaser if you are quick, but if it has been left on for a few weeks, you'll need something like T-cut, or in bad cases a respray!

We've had the "suncream disaster" before.

Just wipe it off. It's no big deal. I drove to a running event today, slathered in sun cream, no problem.

We've had this on our vehicles. We thought suncream was the culprit but realised little hands recently cleaned with baby wipes also leave marks.

You are not supposed to use T-Cut on metallic paints

My dealer got this out after a year (my GF touched the paint in the first week of owning the brand new Cali ), they used I think a vigrous polish with a power mop etc.

Basically it sucks into the paint because the paint is now water based these days, over time it will become permanent in the paint. I also was told Autoglym Paint rennovator is good for this.

You are not supposed to use T-Cut on metallic paints
Metallics have a clear coat so T cut is fine but just don't go to silly and rub through. Not sure I would use it to remove sunscreen though.

Same on wife's polo keep polishing it off but marks keep coming back,try dodo juice polish. Then wax on top to protect

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

googling it came up with a few suggestions that are supposed to work ,no idea if they do
1) magic sponge
2) pencil eraser ,followed by orange juice then elbow grease
3) Autoglym paint restorer
Don't use magic sponge whatever you do. I have dark blue Cali. I had a small bird sing stain on the bonnet that would not come off with the usual car wash and warm water . I then tried the white magic sponge it took the gloss off so I now have a small flat area (microscopic scratches) on the bonnet.

Don't use magic sponge whatever you do. I have dark blue Cali. I had a small bird poo stain on the bonnet that would not come off with the usual car wash and warm water . I then tried the white magic sponge it took the gloss off so I now have a small flat area (microscopic scratches) on the bonnet.
Meguiars Scratch X will help with that. Specially made for fine scratches.

Yes, T-cut.

Chemicals in sun cream etch through the clear coat permanently damaging it. You might get away with a degreaser if you are quick, but if it has been left on for a few weeks, you'll need something like T-cut, or in bad cases a respray!
Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine seems to do the trick for fairly new marks - certainly a lot less aggressive than T-Cut.

Back