Help! Time to change …

Kmann

Kmann

Iben & Henrik
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Our Cali is about 14 month, and with +33.000 km on the clock, my Continental Sport Contact 5 has 4 mm left. And the wear is symmetrical. So I am quite satisfied with them. The legal limit here is 1.6 mm, but with the wet and cold season coming I think 3 mm will a good limit.

I have used winter tyres for 3 months last winter, and prefer the better grip than all seasons will offer. Some years we have no snow, some years we have a lot. One never knows - but real winter tyres make a huge difference.

So now I wonder If I should run the present tyres for another two months (Champagne tour included), change for winters and get new tyres when changing back in spring? Or get new now? My rear left has been leaking the last 6-8.000 km. So it needs to be topped up every now and then. But it's not a huge problem.

I have looked around and it is a jungle. I have read the post here, but new products keep coming.

I need 255-45-R18 (103Y) and have shortened the list to:

Continental PremiumContact 6 XL

Categories: Gas efficiency: B / Wet grip: A / Noise: 73dB) Price: 640€

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT 2 XL

Categories: Gas efficiency: B / Wet grip: A / Noise: 69dB) Price: 720€

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 XL

Categories: Gas efficiency: B / Wet grip: A / Noise: 69dB) Price: 580€

I have looked for:
  • Good grip - high safety
  • Slow wear - better economy
  • Low consumption - better economy
  • Low noise - comfort
Should I change now? Is 4dB less noise worth considering? Should I save the money or is the wear faster on the cheaper tyre? Is there a tyre I have missed?

Please let me hear your opinion or experience.

I would stick with them until winter. You obviously know that you can't trust the grip as much as with new tires. But I think it is a bit wear for 30000km.

I would stick with them until winter. You obviously know that you can't trust the grip as much as with new tires. But I think it is a bit wear for 30000km.

That's what I lean towards as well, I can change to winters a bit earlier if the weather gets nasty.

@kave What do you mean about the wear - is it much or little with 30k?

I am not quite sure what "mileage" to expect on a set of tyres, other than in really can vary. Mine is a 102 hp, manual and no 4M. I guess an engine with more power tend to eat more rubber …

Did you checked prices in other countries , as you will come to France within' two weeks you might as wel change then allong the way...might be cheaper in Germany or Belgium ....who knows!

Did you checked prices in other countries , as you will come to France within' two weeks you might as wel change then allong the way...might be cheaper in Germany or Belgium ....who knows!

I had the thought, but we are on a pretty tight skedule and I am still not sure what to buy? What are you driving on?

EDIT: Actually the tyres are the same price in Germany …

Last edited:
Our Cali is about 14 month, and with +33.000 km on the clock, my Continental Sport Contact 5 has 4 mm left. And the wear is symmetrical. So I am quite satisfied with them. The legal limit here is 1.6 mm, but with the wet and cold season coming I think 3 mm will a good limit.

I have used winter tyres for 3 months last winter, and prefer the better grip than all seasons will offer. Some years we have no snow, some years we have a lot. One never knows - but real winter tyres make a huge difference.

So now I wonder If I should run the present tyres for another two months (Champagne tour included), change for winters and get new tyres when changing back in spring? Or get new now? My rear left has been leaking the last 6-8.000 km. So it needs to be topped up every now and then. But it's not a huge problem.

I have looked around and it is a jungle. I have read the post here, but new products keep coming.

I need 255-45-R18 (103Y) and have shortened the list to:

Continental PremiumContact 6 XL

Categories: Gas efficiency: B / Wet grip: A / Noise: 73dB) Price: 640€

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT 2 XL

Categories: Gas efficiency: B / Wet grip: A / Noise: 69dB) Price: 720€

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 XL

Categories: Gas efficiency: B / Wet grip: A / Noise: 69dB) Price: 580€

I have looked for:
  • Good grip - high safety
  • Slow wear - better economy
  • Low consumption - better economy
  • Low noise - comfort
Should I change now? Is 4dB less noise worth considering? Should I save the money or is the wear faster on the cheaper tyre? Is there a tyre I have missed?

Please let me hear your opinion or experience.
You don't NEED tyres with a 'Y' speed rating. H is more than adequate for a California.

You don't NEED tyres with a 'Y' speed rating. H is more than adequate for a California.

Actually, I am quite confused about that. It seems that I only can find tyres in this size as Y. Or at least if I look for premium quality … with a 102 hp less would do ;-)

18" looks cool but expencife!
These are my shoes...
Goodyear marathon
Came as standard , done almost 40k and still look new
Also got a set of winters but they done less than 10k , don't know witch brand out of my head...

IMG_1154.JPG

That's what I lean towards as well, I can change to winters a bit earlier if the weather gets nasty.

@kave What do you mean about the wear - is it much or little with 30k?

I am not quite sure what "mileage" to expect on a set of tyres, other than in really can vary. Mine is a 102 hp, manual and no 4M. I guess an engine with more power tend to eat more rubber …
Sorry, I mean its poor life to get only 33000km of life in them before considering an exchange. But wider and larger wheels tend to have a shorter life than smaller ones.
I will measure mine tomorrow, they have 25000 on them now.

Sorry, I mean its poor life to get only 33000km of life in them before considering an exchange. But wider and larger wheels tend to have a shorter life than smaller ones.
I will measure mine tomorrow, they have 25000 on them now.

They are not done yet. But I am just starting to look around and figure out what to do. They were down on 5 mm before our summer trip That's about 6.000 km ago. So if I go down on the limit (1.6 mm) I would reach 45-50 tkm. But I rather change before. Safety is more important than a little saved.

Looking forward to hear what you have …

Tyres usually have a treadwear indicator on the sidewall, 100 is taken as the start point meaning that lower number wears faster and higher number will wear more slowly, info on attached site.

Tyres are now a 'black art':talktothehand when trying to decide.

I'd not use 18" rims for winter tyres but have a set of 17" or even 16" rims with a 215 tyre.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/tyres-advices/utqg

Tyres usually have a treadwear indicator on the sidewall, 100 is taken as the start point meaning that lower number wears faster and higher number will wear more slowly, info on attached site.

Tyres are now a 'black art':talktothehand when trying to decide.

I'd not use 18" rims for winter tyres but have a set of 17" or even 16" rims with a 215 tyre.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/tyres-advices/utqg

That is new to me - Interesting. Just went out with the flashlight, my current Continental have Treadwear: 280, Traction: AA and Temperature: A configuration.

I put Michelin Alpins on our 4M 174+ Cali about 4 winters ago for a trip to the French Alps (very snowy) and also bought Spike Spiders, just in case. Never needed the spike spiders (still unwrapped) and never took the Alpins off. Masses of tread left although we only do about 10k Kilometres a year as a daily drive and odd trips to Holland, Germany etc.. Great in the wet. I really should change in the spring but with the great wet performance of the Alpins saw little point. We have two Landrovers and I reckon the Cali is better than either of them on snowy roads.

R18s 255/45 Hankooks summer tyres. Only managed 10k miles on the fronts. Not impressed.

Considering Volkswagen 17s steels going forward

Zzzzzzz. Round and black. Check.

Just replaced two front Goodyear Marathons after 40K miles which seemed pretty good to me so replaced like for like. Back tyres still going strong. Got a quote when I was in Poland last week expecting them to be cheaper than here in London but was quoted £116 per tyre, without fitting, compared to £104 here including home fitting. Also Goodyear have a cash back promotion on at the moment so I should get £10 back from them ....

Just replaced two front Goodyear Marathons after 40K miles which seemed pretty good to me so replaced like for like. Back tyres still going strong. Got a quote when I was in Poland last week expecting them to be cheaper than here in London but was quoted £116 per tyre, without fitting, compared to £104 here including home fitting. Also Goodyear have a cash back promotion on at the moment so I should get £10 back from them ....

I am not sure I can get it in the right size … but that was also one of those I looked after. The Marathon Van.

I put Michelin Alpins on our 4M 174+ Cali about 4 winters ago for a trip to the French Alps (very snowy) and also bought Spike Spiders, just in case. Never needed the spike spiders (still unwrapped) and never took the Alpins off. Masses of tread left although we only do about 10k Kilometres a year as a daily drive and odd trips to Holland, Germany etc.. Great in the wet. I really should change in the spring but with the great wet performance of the Alpins saw little point. We have two Landrovers and I reckon the Cali is better than either of them on snowy roads.

Have been looking at them too. Nice to hear real life experiences, because, on the paper, they have less grip in wet conditions, poor fuel economy … but from others, I have heard good about them. But I lost interest due to the specs on paper …

I put Alpins on about 18,000 miles (3 years) ago and have driven winter and summer on them - no issues and still lloads of tread left. Never bothered putting the standard tyres and wheels back on.

I put Alpins on about 18,000 miles (3 years) ago and have driven winter and summer on them - no issues and still lloads of tread left. Never bothered putting the standard tyres and wheels back on.
Incidentally, economy 37-39 mpg on 4Motion Revo stage1 174. 33 on a commute. Miles so far 70k. Much smoother after a terraclene. Improved mpg by about 2.

Have been looking at them too. Nice to hear real life experiences, because, on the paper, they have less grip in wet conditions, poor fuel economy … but from others, I have heard good about them. But I lost interest due to the specs on paper …
Well, I haven't paid attention to others' fuel results. I just figured that for a 3 tonne 4wd vehicle with a pretty frisky engine on 'A' roads, 39mpg across country was pretty amazing. Not sure how much the Alpins contribute but they certainly don't seem to be doing the economy any harm.

Back