Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help... Where's the Centre Console Cigarette Lighter Fuse?

oceanblue

oceanblue

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Bought an AirMan Tour compressor pump which I tested earlier today. Sadly, it's shorted the cigarette lighter on the centre console. It's now no longer working, so hoping it's just a blown fuse. Easy... until you need to find the said fuse!

Anyone know what amp fuse it is and where it should be located? On the T6 Ocean with comfort dash, it looks like the fuses are hidden behind the lower cup holder and under the bonnet. Any help would be appreciated so I don't have to pull-out and check every fuse on the van!

Also, does anyone know if the same fuse is used for any other electrical items? We're going on our first major trip on Thursday and don't want to find that something random has also stopped working!

Cheers...

on our t5 was under the passenger seat

2008 - fuse box under the ashtray, blue one on top row, 3 in from the right (changed mine last night). Not much help to you but might help someone else... Now where is the fuse for the heated seats ???

I have just written up a fuse location list for the fuses under the passenger seat and all 12v sockets are indeed 15A but the one in the dash is not listed so I am sure you will find it behind the bottle cooler under the gear lever.

Mine went too , and I tracked it down to the fuses behind the bottle cooler below center console. Luckily I have the fuse cards still in there so I have included here - hope the upload works ok. Mine is 2006 4Motion 174 Manual Norwegian Original LHD

fuse 1.jpg

fuse 2.jpg

fuse 1.jpg

fuse 2.jpg

I have just written up a fuse location list for the fuses under the passenger seat and all 12v sockets are indeed 15A but the one in the dash is not listed so I am sure you will find it behind the bottle cooler under the gear lever.
Whilst this is helpful @Loz for post Cali t6, the original cali t5 fuses are underneath ashtray and under passenger seat and the location of fuses is different

Whilst this is helpful @Loz for post Cali t6, the original cali t5 fuses are underneath ashtray and under passenger seat and the location of fuses is different
But the op on post#1 that I was replying to has a 2016 T6 :confused:

and just in case this thread pops up again in a search; here is the Centre dashboard socket fuse(gear lever);Dashboard 12V Socket Fuse.jpg

And here are the fuses under the passenger seat for the sockets rear of the seats;
T6_Ocean_Fuses.png

And the Top Dash 12v Socket is under the passenger seat on its own in some cases;
Dashboard fuse with second battery.JPG

Last edited:
I located the burnt out 15 amp fuse for my dashboard cigarette lighter on my 2017 T6. Thanks for the image. I replaced it with a new 15 amp that immediately blew with a spark when I inserted it. I think there was a Chinese USB phone charger plugged into the outlet but no phone charging. Now when I stick in a new 15 amp fuse with no Chinese USB inserted I get a dead 12 volt outlet but the fuse does not blow.

How can I problem solve this? Is there another fuse higher “upstream”?

Thanks.
Loop

It could just be a loose wire or worst case perhaps the chinese usb charger has overloaded something and damaged wiring.

It may be difficult to tell without taking things apart and as you are under warranty you may be better to ask your local dealer to take a look.

I located the burnt out 15 amp fuse for my dashboard cigarette lighter on my 2017 T6. Thanks for the image. I replaced it with a new 15 amp that immediately blew with a spark when I inserted it. I think there was a Chinese USB phone charger plugged into the outlet but no phone charging. Now when I stick in a new 15 amp fuse with no Chinese USB inserted I get a dead 12 volt outlet but the fuse does not blow.

Thanks.
Loop
1.that Socket only works with Ignition On.
2. The Socket/wiring connection too Socket maybe damaged.

In my 2015 T5 Beach where both console sockets work(ed) without the ignition on, when I plugged my Nextbase dash cam into one of them, can't remember which one, and it blew the fuse. Reading some of the prior posts I located it under the front seat, on it’s own at a right angle to the other ones and replaced it. Now the socket on top of the dashboard works, but the one in the pull out cup holder does not, so I fear I have done some other damage. Would there be separate fuses for these two sockets?

Check that no parts from your cheap cigarette lighter plug have fell inside the socket and are shorting it out. Also check the plug itself as they usually are also fused at the spring loaded pin end.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
In my 2015 T5 Beach where both console sockets work(ed) without the ignition on, when I plugged my Nextbase dash cam into one of them, can't remember which one, and it blew the fuse. Reading some of the prior posts I located it under the front seat, on it’s own at a right angle to the other ones and replaced it. Now the socket on top of the dashboard works, but the one in the pull out cup holder does not, so I fear I have done some other damage. Would there be separate fuses for these two sockets?
On my 2014 SE, the Top Dash mounted Socket is from the Leisure Batteries and the fuse was, as you stated, under the Passenger seat.
However, the other 12v socket in the Pull Out draw/Drink Holder is run from the Engine Battery and the fuse for this is in the bank of fuses in the Lower Dashboard under the Drawer. It was a 15 or 20 amp fuse.
As has been suggested, make sure there are no bits in the socket etc:.

OK I have discovered that on my Beach, the fuses for both the console cigarette lighters are under the front passenger seat. As well as the one fuse off on it's own at right angles to the rest, the 15 amp fuse in the centre of the picture (slightly lighter blue) is the fuse for the cigarette lighter in the pull out drinks holder. Thanks for everybody's help. Just to confirm that these two dashboard cigarette lighters are active all the time.
upload_2019-2-15_13-18-57.png

OK I have discovered that on my Beach, the fuses for both the console cigarette lighters are under the front passenger seat. As well as the one fuse off on it's own at right angles to the rest, the 15 amp fuse in the centre of the picture (slightly lighter blue) is the fuse for the cigarette lighter in the pull out drinks holder. Thanks for everybody's help. Just to confirm that these two dashboard cigarette lighters are active all the time.
View attachment 41459
The vagaries of VW wiring. On my SE the 12v Socket with the Drink Holders is Ignition controlled and from the Engine Battery and the Top Dashboard Socket continually live and from the Leisure Batteries.

The vagaries of VW wiring.
You're not wrong there WelshGas!

I had to tackle this fuse today on our 2018 T6 Beach (with Comfort Dash). I needed a beer afterwards!

OK I have discovered that on my Beach, the fuses for both the console cigarette lighters are under the front passenger seat.

Thanks Mitbin, this may be the case for the T5, but having checked them all it's not so on the T6.

and just in case this thread pops up again in a search; here is the Centre dashboard socket fuse(gear lever);

Loz - your resources again have proved invaluable and if our paths ever cross I would buy you a few beers!

Initially I checked the manual (obvious place to look), and found this...

20190914_184715.jpg

The T6 had been in production for 3 years before we got this one! How could they not have documented this by now?

This page had a few pointers and after checking all of the fuses under the passenger seat (these engineers must do a lot of yoga!) I came to the conclusion that it must be somewhere else...

20190914_184729.jpg

The other threads I've seen have a few pointers on how to remove the "bottle holder in the centre console". The fuses are indeed behind this and you do need to remove it. Never fear, it's not as scary as the manual makes out.

Looking at your dash and the bottom drawer you'll see this:

20190914_180422.jpg

Slide out the "bottle holder" and bend your neck 125 degrees to the left and look under the handle that pulls it out. (I couldn't believe my neck could bend that far) You should see 2 tabs:

20190914_180606.jpg

These two:

20190914_180614.jpg

Pinch them inwards and PULL! The whole unit slides out. (I reckon VW charge £90+VAT for this "operation")

If you can bear to turn your neck back again then you'll see this wonderful sight. Fuses!

20190914_180436.jpg

This lovely blue fuse here(marked with the red arrow) is the offender. Replace that with another 15A and you've fixed the problem!

20190914_180447.jpg

Whilst this saga has been frustrating, I found out that our van had a bottle cooler that I didn't know existed. The dealer had stuffed a plastic coffee cup in the holder and I didn't even know the temperature dial was in there.

How effective it is remains to be seen, but I've done my yoga for the year!

20190914_180606.jpg

Last edited:
Numpty here managed to drop a coin in the 12V socket in the dashboard (2016 T6). There was a wee spark so I know I’ve blown a fuse. Confirmed by inserting a charger adapter into the socket and no joy (where it does work in my camping 12V sockets now they have been fixed by the dealer).
Now I need to decide whether or not to investigate myself or ask the dealer to replace the fuse when it goes in for other warranty issues...
Found this thread incredibly useful. Thanks @Loz and others.

Thanks.
Loop
Hey Loopster,
Did you manage to find this fault?
I‘m in a similar situation... T6 2017 beach... replaced a blown fuse on panel behind centre low bottle holder But sickest still not working.
Thought you Might be able to point me in the right direction
thanks
Mark

Hey Loopster,
Did you manage to find this fault?
I‘m in a similar situation... T6 2017 beach... replaced a blown fuse on panel behind centre low bottle holder But sickest still not working.
Thought you Might be able to point me in the right direction
thanks
Mark
Hey.
It is a 15A under the center console in the middle row. Just find the 15a color or pull each out and inspect it. I took this to a dealer and they charged an hour work for a 10 cent fuse. Just explore a little. It is not too hard.
Loop