Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help with dogs.

Lyndak

Lyndak

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
We have just ordered our first California Ocean, due in about 4 months. I’m concerned how to travel with my dogs. I have three, 2 cockerpoos and a Yorkshire terrier. attaching them to the seat belts is not an option having three, plus they get all tangled up. If I bought crates I’m unsure of the size or where to put them. For instance if they went in the rear we Would lose Space to put everything else. If we put them in the main cabin is that secure and what size to fit three dogs. Sorry for going on but it’s important to us to be able to travel with them. Any advice??

We traveled with our Vizsla thru 13 countries in our Cali , we used a harnes in the seatbelt for a while but in the end a fodable (fabric) crate was the best soulution.
There are lots of usefull posts with pictures in this dog section of the forum , have a look arround in the threads.
Three is more than one doh...;)

The foldable crates do seem to be more popular, thanks for replying xx

With three dogs you will obviously have to balance various factors. The law (in the UK at least) only says dogs should be kept under control in the vehicle which means tethering them so they don't disturb the driver. However you'll doubtless also be thinking about safety, both of the dogs and yourselves.

You have broadly speaking three options then: crates (either in the rear or in the 'living area'), harnesses, (in rear or on bench seat), or just light tethering.

If you choose harnesses, be under no illusions that unless they are of the right specification they will NOT protect the dog or you in anything other than a trivial shunt. I researched this a couple of years back. Most of the harnesses sold, even "good" brands, are not crash-certified and when independently tested have been show that they are utterly ineffectual, they WILL fail instantly and your dog will become a projectile (a likely scenario is your 10kg small dog hitting the back of your seat, or your head restraint, with a force similar to that of a third of a tonne weight dropped from about two metres). There are now a few harnesses that have actually been designed and tested to be effective. So choose carefully.

Similarly with crates. Even if the crate is secured effectively (hard to do), the dog will be thrown forward in the crate, the crate structure will fail and if the front of the crate isn't against a hard object (eg the beach seat back) the whole dog/crate unit will become the projectile. Your driver/passenger seat will give you some protection against that - assuming not a rollover accident - but be under no illusions that a crate itself is likely to protect the dog in an accident in any significant way.

We only have one dog so it's much easier. Mostly she travels on the bench seat in an EZYDog harness (uses the seat belt as the anchor). But on a long journey we sometimes let her sit/lie on the floor behind the driver's seat (just lightly tethered) as she often prefers that and we're prepared to accept the risk on less risky roads like motorways.

There will be some forumistas who are in the multi-dog scenario like you, who can tell you what they do.

Sorry if what I've written sounds scary but it's as well to understand the real issues and then make choices accordingly. One approach being just to accept some risks for convenience, comfort and holiday fun. Your dogs will love Cali-camping!

Thanks so much for replying. I think all the things you mentioned have gone through my head. I have been looking at the EZY dog site and their harnesses do seem strong. I will be giving this much more thought. We want our dogs to enjoy the Cali as much as we will

Hi

We use one of these for travelling attached to the dogs harness.

We remove the lead on site and lay the ring flat. It’s positioned so bed can still be used without having to remove it.

We only have one dog though, albeit an English Pointer so a big breed.

GillF9076DE4-CDA1-4FE1-A990-7C82417B2D6E.jpeg

Hi

We use one of these for travelling attached to the dogs harness.

We remove the lead on site and lay the ring flat. It’s positioned so bed can still be used without having to remove it.

We only have one dog though, albeit an English Pointer so a big breed.

GillView attachment 64447

We keep a dog lead semi-permanently fixed to the driver's seat belt anchor point, using a stainless steel carabiner clip. On the road, we can clip that directly to the dog collar or harness to prevent her from joining us in the front (only on lower-risk journeys such as motorway as I mentioned above; on normal roads - ie higher risk - she's in her crash harness on the bench seat).

Then when parked with side door open we can simply clip another lead (either her normal walking one or a retractable) to the fixed one to make a double length to allow her a bit of a roam close by outside, eg on a lunch stop. (At an evening stop we usually use a longer wire tether with a ground twist-spike, slightly away from the van).

Thanks for that. We still looking at various options but that looks good

But on a long journey we sometimes let her sit/lie on the floor behind the driver's seat (just lightly tethered) as she often prefers that and we're prepared to accept the risk on less risky roads like motorways.
My Rosie seems to prefer the 'soft' patch of carpet next to the handbrake. It almost seems designed for a slender dog to lie in!

My Rosie seems to prefer the 'soft' patch of carpet next to the handbrake. It almost seems designed for a slender dog to lie in!
I should add that's where she goes when I've a passenger. When alone, she wants to sit upright, on the front passenger seat, getting laughs from passers-by as we are left hand drive. Just need one of those kiddies steering wheels for her...

More seriously, if they are on the seats, then those proper waterproof Inka seat covers can be very slippy for them under very hard braking (avoiding a deer etc). I was luck to get an old pair of second skin type covers, which she's much less likely to slide off in those circumstances.
Those covers are fab for practically with dogs, but slippy.

More seriously, if they are on the seats, then those proper waterproof Inka seat covers can be very slippy for them under very hard braking (avoiding a deer etc). I was luck to get an old pair of second skin type covers, which she's much less likely to slide off in those circumstances.
Those covers are fab for practically with dogs, but slippy.

We have INKA covers and yes they are quite slippy. On the bench seat we have a blanket for our spaniel to stop her slipping around too much even in her harness, but the blanket then in turn has to be held in place on the seat by a thin bungy cord that I made up for the purpose.

We have INKA covers and yes they are quite slippy. On the bench seat we have a blanket for our spaniel to stop her slipping around too much even in her harness, but the blanket then in turn has to be held in place on the seat by a thin bungy cord that I made up for the purpose.
We also have slippy Inka seat covers and use a piece of nonslip vet bed on top. It does ‘cling’ to the covers very well.

Also, I have found a small caribiner and it now is attached to the seat belt anchor point! So thanks for that, I now have choices!

Gill

With three dogs you will obviously have to balance various factors. The law (in the UK at least) only says dogs should be kept under control in the vehicle which means tethering them so they don't disturb the driver. However you'll doubtless also be thinking about safety, both of the dogs and yourselves.

You have broadly speaking three options then: crates (either in the rear or in the 'living area'), harnesses, (in rear or on bench seat), or just light tethering.

If you choose harnesses, be under no illusions that unless they are of the right specification they will NOT protect the dog or you in anything other than a trivial shunt. I researched this a couple of years back. Most of the harnesses sold, even "good" brands, are not crash-certified and when independently tested have been show that they are utterly ineffectual, they WILL fail instantly and your dog will become a projectile (a likely scenario is your 10kg small dog hitting the back of your seat, or your head restraint, with a force similar to that of a third of a tonne weight dropped from about two metres). There are now a few harnesses that have actually been designed and tested to be effective. So choose carefully.

Similarly with crates. Even if the crate is secured effectively (hard to do), the dog will be thrown forward in the crate, the crate structure will fail and if the front of the crate isn't against a hard object (eg the beach seat back) the whole dog/crate unit will become the projectile. Your driver/passenger seat will give you some protection against that - assuming not a rollover accident - but be under no illusions that a crate itself is likely to protect the dog in an accident in any significant way.

We only have one dog so it's much easier. Mostly she travels on the bench seat in an EZYDog harness (uses the seat belt as the anchor). But on a long journey we sometimes let her sit/lie on the floor behind the driver's seat (just lightly tethered) as she often prefers that and we're prepared to accept the risk on less risky roads like motorways.

There will be some forumistas who are in the multi-dog scenario like you, who can tell you what they do.

Sorry if what I've written sounds scary but it's as well to understand the real issues and then make choices accordingly. One approach being just to accept some risks for convenience, comfort and holiday fun. Your dogs will love Cali-camping!
We have a small 7.5kg dog usually in a crate in the boot, but sometimes in an EZY harness clipped to a seatbelt sitting on the rear seat. I had thought that in the event of a crash the seatbelt would lock and the harness would hold her. Are you saying that that would not be case?

Good evening,

We got a dog seat which is high enough for our dog to look out. The dog seat is fixed with the seat belt and the dog harness is fixed also to the seat belt.

We hope that 1.) the dog is comfortable, 2.) is able to look at, 3.) save at least for emergency breaks and 4.) we are all save in the van if, god forbid, a bad accident happens.

1597519550902.png
In this picture Honey is not strapped in and not wearing her harness. I don't know what she is doing here.

1597519568388.png
Here is wearing her old harness, but not hooked up. Maybe we just arrived.

So far I believe we have achieved point 1 and 2.

Happy California.
Eberhard
(Wuff)

We have a small 7.5kg dog usually in a crate in the boot, but sometimes in an EZY harness clipped to a seatbelt sitting on the rear seat. I had thought that in the event of a crash the seatbelt would lock and the harness would hold her. Are you saying that that would not be case?

No the EzyHarness/seat belt combo should be fine. Because the EzyHarness products have been crash tested. Lots of harnesses have not - watch this video to get an idea:

Thanks so much for replying. I think all the things you mentioned have gone through my head. I have been looking at the EZY dog site and their harnesses do seem strong. I will be giving this much more thought. We want our dogs to enjoy the Cali as much as we will
This may not suit you ... but if your dogs get on very well it just might be an idea.
Have an elderly 2008 SE Cali with the “wooden” backboard behind the rear seat. Wanting something less deep
So as to move the bench seat back & travel in non-camper mode with a fifth seat fitted I substituted with a “shorter” Ikea table firmly & carefully wedged in place.
Now ... that, with suitable dog mat on top is where our Beagle normally travels for I found I could attach hefty straps to lower parts of the steel frame of the bench seat which then rise up between the table & the back of the Seat. These have hefty D rings attached. Then to these I’ve attached two of the extension straps that then attach to dog harnesses. Have 2 strap setups & have comfortably carried 2 Beagles there. They have great views out from both the rear and the drivers rear side window plus can just stick their heads up over the top of the seat back to check on you. If we carried a third dog it would sit harnessed on the rear seat.
Must stress, at the rear the dog(s) are set apart as far as can comfortably be managed & are relatively enclosed with only a very short distance to travel until in a head on collision they are up against the rear of the bench seat so their impact is minimised and the straps & harness are more to keep them in place and are subject to little stress, not being required to stop their full weights from being flung forward . And btw, for any dog harnessed on the bench seat, must have the strap connecting the harness to the safety belt socket short enough that only the dogs front paws extend over the seat front edge. That video shows what happens if the strap is too long & the dog leaves the seat area in flight!!!

If thinking of a similar arrangement at the rear of the modern Cali without a fifth seat the question would be can you construct a robust strap arrangement for each dog securely fixed to the bed steel frame that then comes up in the gap between the “backboard”, or up through gaps in the “Boards” steel mesh closest to the seat back. & Just long enough to come sufficiently up forward & above the mat fitted over the backboard to then attach with D rings to extension straps that then clip onto the dog harness. Don’t think it would be safe to try to fit 3 dogs In like this. The third would probably lie or sit behind the two at the seat end & with 3 there could get the dog extension leads tangled with each other if the dogs are thrown about in a major smash. Just put your 3 up there & observe how they settle down?

Obviously, this way you retain all the storage space at the rear below the board.

Last edited:
Thanks for so many ideas here. I appreciate you taking the time and trouble

We have just ordered our first California Ocean, due in about 4 months. I’m concerned how to travel with my dogs. I have three, 2 cockerpoos and a Yorkshire terrier. attaching them to the seat belts is not an option having three, plus they get all tangled up. If I bought crates I’m unsure of the size or where to put them. For instance if they went in the rear we Would lose Space to put everything else. If we put them in the main cabin is that secure and what size to fit three dogs. Sorry for going on but it’s important to us to be able to travel with them. Any advice??
We attach one of our dogs to the seat belt and the other to a luggage hook on the rail . ( I have fitted one on each side ) they are too large to go on the seat !

6F75EBC2-F026-4657-90A4-541C736837D0.jpeg

95FCD2DC-D1FC-49CB-B38D-E86BA934750B.png

We have two large dogs and a medium they travel everywhere with us the best solution for us and keeping them safe is harness with restraints using the seat and rails.

Each dog has its own place in the van.
Rottie on the seat with a towel Velcro to remain in place, he’s had a seat belt restraint attached to harness.

Shepard back floor on foam and a bed hes 65kg takes up a lot of room , restrained using rail leash and harness .

Bull terrier between front seat in her bed again harness and restraint.

Key for us is regular stops, three hours max then dogs are out for a long walk and play time so they sleep when travelling.

We plan our route as a journey finding places of interest or friends to see, never in a rush when travelling which helps with the regular stops.
When we sleep at nights they keep this configuration apart from the bull terrier jumps on the drivers seat and sleeps.
Only issue we find is moving about when it’s snowing or raining as the dogs don’t move from their allocated spaces and we are trying to tip toe around whilst making coffee!