Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help with options on Ocean

C

Camper Mouse

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I am about to start talking to dealers before placing an order for a new Ocean, but am confused by some of the options on the current price list on VW. Really wish the configurator would start working again!

I have read lots of the other threads asking for help, so apologies if I have missed the answers to my questions.

Bluetooth handsfree set - what is this? I have visions of a £10 headset from the local petrol station.
What's the advantage of the premium bluetooth?
Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat - am I right in thinking that this is needed to convert the downstairs bed and otherwise you would be sleeping direct on the seats?
Power steering (steering wheel adjustable in height and reach) - surely the Ocean comes with power steering, so is this just adding the height and reach adjustment?
Sliding rear windows - does the Ocean come with these or not? Its not very clear from the price list.
Am confused about audio options/combinations, but hoping the dealer can explain.

Can't quite believe that a vehicle of this price does not come with cruise control and parking sensors as standard. Will console myself with the knowledge that I'll be getting heated seats, which I neither want nor need.

Appreciate any help and guidance :)

Hi Camper Mouse,

In short now is not a good time to be buying...unless you enjoy asking lots of questions and banging your head against the wall.

Problem is VW have just moved over to MY 18 as at 2 June, which means higher prices and some new bits and pieces as standard (but not enough of the later to justify the former).

As a customer I suggest you will need three things to enable you to understand the options and make informed decisions. (A) An accurate and up to date price list. (B) A working configurator. (C) A knowledgeable and helpful salesperson.

(A) is up to date but as you've noticed not accurate. I have been through the errors on there so might be able to help e.g. power steering / adjustable wheel is still standard, as are suspension and shock absorbers. Standard windows and options haven't changed (for the Beach at least).

(B) isn't working because it's taken VW nearly 3 weeks to update it for MY18.

(C) is a bit of a lottery but if you can tick this box you can overcome A and B...with aforementioned questions and head banging. I can recommend Preston, South Hereford and Exeter van centres for this bit.

It can be done! I ordered a Beach last week. This forum was a big help. Make sure you use the search function!!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

:thanks @Steve39. I was going to try my local dealer, but will take your advice and call your recommendations first.

No problem. Would try your local as well. I might just have been unlucky with mine.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Audio Options are fairly straight forward once you get you head around them.

Composition Colour is standard and is really just a radio with SD card.

Composition Media upgrades to a bigger screen but importantly allows you to add App Connect which supports Apple Carplay and Android Auto so you can use your phone for navigation via Apple/Google maps.

Discover and Discover Plus are your built in sat nav options. I stopped at a combo of Composition Media and App Connect so didn't explore these.

Standard Bluetooth allows pairing with other Bluetooth devices e.g. your phone for basic handsfree calls etc.

Upgraded Bluetooth also allows you to use the van as a wireless hotspot if that's something you want to explore. I didn't. It is also, so I'm told, the only way to get a second USB port now unless you go for Discover Plus.

Dealer should be able to help further put hopefully that gives a high level idea of what to expect.

Thanks once again, Steve. You have explained the audio really well. Your set up sounds the perfect combination. Think I will copy you, Bluetooth phone calls and sat nav via phone with car play, will be great. :)

My ocean is on order right now & I also went for the AppConnect + larger composition screen (avoided sat nav at the extortionate cost in favour of using my own apps, ie Waze).

Every dealer suggested this combination and then I satisfied my curiosity here on the forum to make the final decision.

Thank you, Mark. I spoke to a dealer today who also recommended the app connect and bigger screen combo.

Reactions: wyn
That's a good guide from Steve.

I only wish VW would take a leaf out of other companies cofigurators - BMW's for instance is so much more logical, easy to use and understand in comparison. I think VW also need to pay their German to English translators a bit more and hire some who fully understand the nuances of language!

Thank you, Mark. I spoke to a dealer today who also recommended the app connect and bigger screen combo.

We went for app connect - really pleased with it. I was also confused by the bed extension/comfort option. The salesman thought it was just a very thick mattress (& not an extension as such). We didn't go for it & just use a Zonesleep mattress topper bought from this site. Packs relatively small & works well for us.

As of yesterday I thought I had decided on all options, and understood them all thanks to help from this forum. My task for today was to email dealers to see if any discounts available, and then vw put the petrol options into the mix. No petrol DSG in the smaller engine though.

I went for the lane warning lights in the mirrors as I thought this would be most useful on trips abroad. However the system is disabled when you have a tow bar connection so its pointless as I would nearly always take my bikes on holiday with me. I wish I knew this when I specced my van. I wish i'd ordered speed sensitive power steering too as I find the steering heavy at low speeds. Sat Nav is a waste of money too.

Back