Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help With Spare Wheel Please

N

nickandemma

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
So it's happened! :sad Our spare wheel was stolen. Please could someone tell me what I need to buy (am a bit confused about the part numbers for the correct locking bolt etc. Many thanks.

Could you possibly explain how this locking bolt works? I presume it allows you to lock the wheel to the cage somehow?

The ebay listing suggests that it is for steel wheels only, and I guess (without checking) that our spare is an alloy. A friend with a T5 also had his spare stolen last week, so I was looking for a quick & easy solution.

On a similar note I was thinking of spray painting my bike rack, so if that was stolen it would be a bit easier to identify on ebay! Difficult to see how you can prevent someone stealing that, without locking it onto the towing eye.

Simon

Hi it shouldn't matter if the wheel is alloy
The spare is held in place by a large carrier secured with two bolts one of them can be removed completely the other has a small slot so you just loosen that one basically you replace the removable one with the locking bolt

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

20130701_125209.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to reply, with a photo!

I'll order one now.

Simon

Give Steve in our parts department a call for some prices as well.

We can ship too!

01403 581 242

Thanks

Man ! That's a great accessory ! Does anyone know the ETKA reference number of this part ?

Nobody knows the reference number ?

ZGB 701 071 592
Mine lives in the glove compartment, should really fit it! It says "suitable for transporter spare wheel (alloy). Again not sure why the alloy spare is different to steel.

beardie said:
ZGB 701 071 592
Mine lives in the glove compartment, should really fit it! It says "suitable for transporter spare wheel (alloy). Again not sure why the alloy spare is different to steel.

Thanks !
(strange, my ETKA doesn't find it, maybe it's only in the UK).

Sorry for dumb question, but can't you just undo that "locking" bolt with a Mole wrench?

No the outer casing just turn's you need the coresponding nut to undo it :thumb

Big red thing will draw attention its expensive and to be honest the locking bolt from Vw is cheap and works .... If they really want it they will cut the carrier pin at back and drop the spare out that way after seeing the big red thing catching their eye from at the rear ...

I've just received a locking bolt from Breeze Volkswagon in Poole which is too short to replace the existing bolt. The part number of my bolt is ZGB 701 071 5 92E. As far as I can see the part number is the same as mentioned in this thread but with the additional letter 'E' at the end. The threaded portion on this bolt is about 45mm long whereas the existing one in the Cali is roughly twice this length. Am I missing a trick or do I have the wrong bolt?

Got mine from Breeze via ebay yes it shorter but it fits fine :p

It definitely didn't fit mine. I contacted Breeze and they said it was because I had alloy wheels and they offered to exchange it for a longer one. So it's on it's way back to them.
However the spare wheel isn't an alloy it's steel. I suspect it has more to do with the size of the wheel (probably width). Mine are 17" (235/55 R17 103W).

Have Fun

I've ordered the same from Breeze for my steel spare. My tyres are 235/55 17's.

Anybody that's had success with this got the same size tyres?

Concur my spare tyre is on steel 235 55 17 ordered from Breeze it is noticable shorter, fitted last week end fits fine It looks to short but it is not

Great - thanks.

Hopefully save me and Breeze the hassle of returning it.

Just a quick bit of advice for anyone thinking of buying one of these locking nuts. I went to fit mine at the weekend, and found that my 2012 Cali already had one fitted. :oops:

In my defence, it does look just like a normal bolt until you try to undo it and find that the cover spins round. I don't know if Calis of a certain age include this as standard, or whether it is dealer dependent.

If anyone wants a new (discounted) one, just let me know ...

Simon

I've been to my VW dealer yesterday and he wasn't able to find the ETKA ref. number. Maybe it's just an accessorie for the UK (?)...

The two part numbers are:

ZGB 701 071 592 Security bolt (Alloy spare wheel)
ZGB 701 071 592 E Security bolt (Steel spare wheel)

The bolt for Alloy spare wheels is longer, to allow for the wider alloy wheel.

My understanding is that the 'ZGB' part of the number designates it as a VW UK part number?

Dave...

Dav1d said:
My understanding is that the 'ZGB' part of the number designates it as a VW UK part number?

Dave...

I think so indeed... That would explain why my VW dealer couldn't find this reference.

Well, well. eBay it is then.

Back