Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help!

C

Cali1

VIP Member
Vehicle
Please Select
Cali has decided to not start.
Computer seems to think my heater is on, when I try get the roof down it won't start abs the computer tells me my ignition is on!!
Stick on a campsite on my anniversary ... Any help ideas?
I've taken out all fuses, disconnected the batteries all dash lights etc are coming on when trying to start just won't tick over..
I'm guessing it's electrical somehow from the camping side to the driving side.
Hanks

Have you tried a control panel reset?

Reset the control panel as GJ suggests , but strange the verhicle does not want to start.
Is the (starter)battery drained?
Lowering the roof needs egnition ON , i always say have you engine running while operating the roof ( my dealer told me to)
Did you try and plug it in to hook-up 220v and see what the control panel shows?
Can't see any verhicle details ( you not filled them in ) but if it is T6 ....call dealer -warrenty

Last edited:
Reset instructions courtesy of Welshgas:

1. Have you actually Switched the Control Panel OFF, using the Bottom L button?

2. Switch On the Control Panel using Bottom L button. This will re-boot software.

3. When Control Panel is On - Press and Hold Bottom R button and press Control Knob fora few seconds. A " New " hidden Menu is displayed. Scroll to " Volkswagen " and " Diagnostics " . Any Error codes shown?

If Codes shown, copy down and use Reset function to Clear them.

Thanks for the quick replies, the on:eek:ff on the control panel will not turn on or off, but holding the button down flashes my fridge and heater..
Batteries are fully charged, driven two hours with only the fridge on, roof was erected with the engine on.
I've now got the roof to work ( just started coming down without me doing anything!) but still nothing on the engine side and cannot do anything with the control panel
Thanks everyone for your time and help, looks like AA..

Good luck . Please do let us know what solution the assistance will bring...

Sorry for the delay,I damaged the phone a day after this started...ahh.
Ok so looks like I've been a fool.

The main engine battery was flat,AA guy came out hooked it up and it started.
However the on board computer was still flashing the heating was on,the fridge was off (it was meant to be on) and when turning the ignition off there is a buzzing sound for a few minutes..AA has no idea,we turned the cali off a couple of times and everything re set itself,but still making the buzzing noise.

Now Im obviously completely stupid,because I believe what I get told.
When i picked the truck up four years ago I was told that the leisure batteries will charge up the main battery if it runs flat and visa versa so never will be an issue.
I've used the van for weeks without hook up,in minus temps and its started first time.
After going thru the forum I see the sales team lied to about the battery (my fault should have checked) but could it be my battery is coming to the end of its time?
Ive covered 33000 miles,mostly in the first two years,it now only does approx 5,000/6,000 a year,could not using it be an issue??

Thanks everyone for your help,Hope maybe this may help others.
If the car wont start,your on board computer flashing and doing all crazy stuff,try getting your battery jump started!!!!!!!!

And to top it off,i now see roof corrosion.....

What age is your Cali? If it's a 2008 onwards then the engine battery should get charged when you're on hook up though it's only a trickle charge, so if you cane the battery you can probably still flatten it.
We turn off anything that uses the engine battery if we're camping without hook up - in our case electric side door and cab interior lights. We've also had the stereo wired to the leisure battery as this would be a prime candidate for draining the engine battery.
We flattened our engine battery once but you live and learn as they say!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

What year is your Cali , please fill it in on your personal page so ot shows up under your avatar.
On Older T5 models the enginebattery is not charged while on hook-up, so i belive .
This would be corrected if i say wrong ....so you need to use a external charger during longer times of not using if you want a healthy battery.
If your cali is more than say 5 years it is not unusual the batteries are done theire fair bit of time and needs change.
Depending on how they are maintained.
tip: switch off the interieur light in the cabin , also switches off the "california " lights in the sliding door ...
Edit : while i was typing seems @Freeley did about the same:thumb

Cali is 2012,it has been stood a lot this year which i think will explain the battery if i think about it.Does not explain the noise and other bits,but hopefully VW can sort.
Im going to charge now regular,I leave my bikes on trickle charge will look into something like that.Its only left for a couple of weeks at a time but does not get a long run at the moment.
Im guessing I could always jump it off the leisure battery if this happens again?
I only stay on sites when I'm with the wife,usually its used for work and parked in remote places.
I have done three full winters in it with only four 12 hour drives to get to destination then left for three weeks in situ and never had an issue.
Ive just noticed..Im waffling on...Will stop!!

Im now going down the saga with the roof,lets see how this goes..

Cali is 2012,it has been stood a lot this year which i think will explain the battery if i think about it.Does not explain the noise and other bits,but hopefully VW can sort.
Im going to charge now regular,I leave my bikes on trickle charge will look into something like that.Its only left for a couple of weeks at a time but does not get a long run at the moment.
Im guessing I could always jump it off the leisure battery if this happens again?
I only stay on sites when I'm with the wife,usually its used for work and parked in remote places.
I have done three full winters in it with only four 12 hour drives to get to destination then left for three weeks in situ and never had an issue.
Ive just noticed..Im waffling on...Will stop!!

Im now going down the saga with the roof,lets see how this goes..
Ok, 2012 model then the mains charger will charge both Leisure and Engine Battery. VW state in the Handbook that the vehicle should be placed on Mains for at least 12-24 hrs every month.
Remember the Alarm system is active when not using the vehicle. Also the Alternator can ONLY charge the Leisure/starter batteries to about 80% capacity whereas the Mains Charger can get them to 100%. If you have been pushing the batteries to the limit then after 5 yrs they could be nearing the point that they need changing as they may not hold the charge very well. Repeated use of the cab radio when NOT on hookup is a very simple way of flattening the engine battery.
I would suggest following the VW charging regimen and get all 3 batteries checked out properly to see how well they hold their charge. You might need to replace some NB: Leisure batteries should be replaced as a pair.

VW state in the Handbook that the vehicle should be placed on Mains for at least 12-24 hrs every month

Prefaced by "If the additional battery is not charged by the alternator while the engine is running"; i.e if you drive your Cali regularly, it's not necessary.

Also the Alternator can ONLY charge the Leisure/starter batteries to about 80% capacity whereas the Mains Charger can get them to 100%.
I don't get(understand) this?
I don't see how the alternator charging would only get the leisure battery to 80%.
Its only a matter of time before it would be fully charged and why would a split charge system disconnect it at 80%

Is this a Cali myth or a proven fact?

or is it the calculation that after an overnight use, you couldn't drive enough in the next day to fully charge them?

@Loz
Don't know if it is a Cali myth but my dealer stated the same....on hook-up once a month . Alternator allone not charges the three bats. 100%
Guess thats why on T6 you get to chose the option "ugraded alternator"?

Prefaced by "If the additional battery is not charged by the alternator while the engine is running"; i.e if you drive your Cali regularly, it's not necessary.
Those who drive their Californias on a regular basis all year round, for a decent distance each trip don't seem to be in the majority, as the OP also stated he doesn't drive it regularly.

I don't get(understand) this?
I don't see how the alternator charging would only get the leisure battery to 80%.
Its only a matter of time before it would be fully charged and why would a split charge system disconnect it at 80%

Is this a Cali myth or a proven fact?

or is it the calculation that after an overnight use, you couldn't drive enough in the next day to fully charge them?
I think it is to do with the charging profile from the Alternator compared with that from the California Mains Charger which is suited to the Leisure type battery whereas the Alternator profile is predominantly designed for quick charging of a high output Engine Battery.

I think it is to do with the charging profile from the Alternator compared with that from the California Mains Charger which is suited to the Leisure type battery whereas the Alternator profile is predominantly designed for quick charging of a high output Engine Battery.
Yes, it probably was, but now we have the bluemotion regenerative braking we should be able to charge a lot faster now.

Yes, it probably was, but now we have the bluemotion regenerative braking we should be able to charge a lot faster now.
I agree to some extent but the alternator is still charging 2 dissimilar battery types and although we have the regenerative braking of the Bluemotion package we also have the added stress on the Engine battery with Stop/Start.
This is a good explanation.
http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/31782-keeping-fully-charged

I agree to some extent but the alternator is still charging 2 dissimilar battery types and although we have the regenerative braking of the Bluemotion package we also have the added stress on the Engine battery with Stop/Start.
This is a good explanation.
http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/31782-keeping-fully-charged
Yes, that is a good beginners guide.
I know how charging systems work as I was designing and installing marine systems in the 90s and these were the challenges then.. But now you can match up the batteries to all be AGM as start stop VWs have AGM as standard now and these will take a fast charge without the need to soak.
But it just comes down to how long you drive as to how much you can put back in, a nearly flat (10v) 95ah AGM takes about 5 hours driving to get back to somewhere near full.
I think for the cost, a solar system could be factory supplied and certainly on my list for next year, because if you can cover off the draw from the fridge, heater and the lights with your solar system, your leisure battery is not going to drop much and you stand a better chance of fully topping up on the shorter journeys.

Last edited:
Yes, that is a good beginners guide.
I know how charging systems work as I was designing and installing marine systems in the 90s and these were the challenges then.. But now you can match up the batteries to all be AGM as start stop VWs have AGM as standard now and these will take a fast charge without the need to soak.
But it just comes down to how long you drive as to how much you can put back in, a nearly flat (10v) 95ah AGM takes about 5 hours driving to get back to somewhere near full.
I think for the cost, a solar system could be factory supplied and certainly on my list for next year, because if you can cover off the draw from the fridge, heater and the lights with your solar system, your leisure better is not going to drop much and you stand a better chance of fully topping up on the shorter journeys.
That's why I've got a Solar system installed and my vehicle is used a lot, 33,000 miles in 19 months.

wow...Great advice,will definite connect monthly to hook up.It does make sense as the last three years was heading to alps or Scotland 10 plus driving and never had an issue,this year I've done very little and its caused a problem.

Think also will look at the solar idea,I intend for the cali to be a keeper.
Getting the local VW to check all,if needs be replace the whole lot.
Can any one recommend a solar panel fitter?Would it cause a problem having a roof rack and boats on top.I know if i drop a boat on them will be a an issue,but mean in general.Grit water from the kayaks,could it be a problem?

The solar panel won't work if it's covered by a boat!

Funny...Better not keep it on when not using it!!Was thinking more of the mud and grit from the boat on the panels.