Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Here's my Beach conundrum

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
So, I have looking to acquire a Beach 4motion 204ps Tdi from Germany as you can't have that combo in the UK... they sell something called an 'Edition' spec, which is fairly decently equipped with upgrades such as LED lights and comfort dash etc.
The dealer has 2 incoming cars soon.
Cali A has Parking Heater, 230v Hookup but no AppConnect/Car-Net (it does have Discovery Media system)
Cali B has the Auxiliary Heater and AppConnect with (Discovery Media PLUS system), RV camera, locking diff etc. but NO HOOKUP

There are a few bits and bobs different on both and I think neither of them have a swivel driver seat but I'm thinking perhaps I can get that modified afterwards? (please do tell me if I'm wrong on that as it's quite a biggie) In addition, they all seem to have optioned: Laminated glass package, tow bar prep, elec fold mirrors, adaptive cruise control, hill descent control, comfort dash, High beam assist, Lights and vision pack, Multi func. paddle shift wheel, 3 keys, 6th Seat (3 seat bench), Heavy Duty Anti Roll Bars, power latching and heated washers.

So the question I'm asking myself is whether I should get Cali A and try retrofit AppConnect (or change the head unit) OR go with Cali B and have someone retrofit a 230v Hookup?

If anyone cares the whole thing comes in around £55k which may sound a lot for a beach but the 'Edition' does have extra kit (this is also a 4motion DSG 204ps) and an Ocean really doesn't meet my needs (not enough seats and I'd probably never use the kitchen)

It's going to be a daily driver (I don't mind LHD), I want to use it as a mobile office somedays as I work from home and it would be great for a change of scenery. I was wondering if the Auxiliary heater will be sufficient - one of the things this will come in useful for is if we hit another 20hour traffic jam to the alps which has happened twice so far - in which case I'd pull over and we could all sleep, but I wonder if the Aux heater would be enough for that or would it require a parking heater?

I'm told that you can run the Aux Heater for 2 hours at a time for a maximum of 3 times in succession.

anyway, throwing all this info out there, all advice welcome. S2

Having owned a LHD Cali, I'm a bit puzzled by your plan.
Trading the convenience and safety of a RHD for the 204 over the 150, plus losing the 3rd year's warranty. You'll have loads of power but won't be able to see if it's clear to overtake.

Is the 4x4 the bit I'm missing in your plan?

Mains Hookup is easily fitted.
Parking Heater is much more efficient. The Auxilliary Heater, unless I'm mistaken, heats the engine coolant only and uses a lot of electrical power to run a coolant pump and the vehicle Heater fans etc. I thought it could only be run for 30mins before having to start the engine. Could be wrong.
The Parking Heater just heats the inside and can be run continuously.

Mains Hookup is easily fitted.
Parking Heater is much more efficient. The Auxilliary Heater, unless I'm mistaken, heats the engine coolant only and uses a lot of electrical power to run a coolant pump and the vehicle Heater fans etc. I thought it could only be run for 30mins before having to start the engine. Could be wrong.
The Parking Heater just heats the inside and can be run continuously.
Thanks, that's good to know.

Having owned a LHD Cali, I'm a bit puzzled by your plan.
Trading the convenience and safety of a RHD for the 204 over the 150, plus losing the 3rd year's warranty. You'll have loads of power but won't be able to see if it's clear to overtake.

Is the 4x4 the bit I'm missing in your plan?
204ps isn't exactly loads of power, it's just more. I drive to the alps 3x a year in winter, plus summer holidays in Europe and wet country roads here etc. I just prefer AWD. 99% of what little overtaking I do is in Europe. I've owned LHD cars over the last 30 years and (particularly with the increased driver height in a Cali) I'm not sure I'm trading my safety for anything. I get the convenience argument though, car park barriers are not funny! I hope the extra power and awd combined with the lower weight of a Beach will make for a good combination.

Seems like a great way to loose some money.
Pay normal price in Germany then shed 20% as you cross the channel.
LHD isn't exactly a sought after option in this country on resale.

Genius.

i was initially keen on 4motion, but in reality a set of winter tyres get you most places. i have the 150ps beach and find the power adequate and fun, plus i have a feeling the more powerful engine is not a natural fit into a vehicle that was designed as a tradesman van with most having 100ps or less.

Does buying LHD mean you get the rear door on the kerb side? ;-)

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Does buying LHD mean you get the rear door on the kerb side? ;-)

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Only if you park in Europe, sadly. It's the same.

I too have a Beach but 150 DSG. Plenty for me but if you want 204 and 4-motion, go for it.

In my view, the ethos of the Cali is to go for what suits you and not others. Also ignore the re-sale effects of LHDs, I reckon its negligible. For example, the most desirable T25s are the Westies, almost exclusively LHDs, their residuals are very strong and rising.

If I were you, and based on what you have said, go for Cali A. Clearly LHD is not an issue for you and the Edition gives you loads of nice kit. You will have the hook-up and parking heater (both intrusive retro-fits) for your trips to the lovely Alps. If you really want App-Connect, you can fit the Kenwood jobby for a lot less than a retrospective parking heater and a hook-up combined.

With regards to "working from home / van". I do this regularly, often twice a week. Whether it is by the sea-side or, like today, at Thorpe Park. Whilst my daughter and mates were getting soaked on the rides on an inset treat, I sat in the van in the car park all day, rigged-up to my 4g dongle-wotsit and did a full day's work - loved it.

Incidentally, I don't have parking heater. I don't need it as we don't ski, do not camp in winter.. etc.. At extremes of the season we make sure we have EHU and use a small fan heater if needs must. But I completely understand that for some, the parking heater is essential..

Anyway, tomorrow night we are off to the South Downs for a campfire and fun. The Cali is ready to go, all we need to do is load the kids and off we go.

Go for it.

App connect/car net is no big deal. I have it but could easily live without it. Edition models are great. I had the Edition 25 Caravelle. Because they are well speced as standard, they retain their value better than option fitted standard vans, if that makes sense.

I would recommend you go for option A. If it's got sat nav anyway, I can't really see much benefit in App connect either.

I barely use the App Connect in my Beach and only use it for the sat nav from my phone.

It seems strange that they may not have swivel drivers seat only? I thought that the comfort seats option meant both seats don't swivel.

Hello s2bear,

I can't say anything about this App Connect thing however I would miss the parking heater as it is great when retourning from a hike, walk in autumn and turn on it's more powerful than the "normal/AC" heater.

I tought as long as you do not order the option to "level up/down" the drivers seat it is always possible to swivel it. I might be wrong.

If you need any support in German language let me know.

Beside I like the edition models!

I hope you find "your" perfect California!
Cheers sapto

Have you checked Ireland. They have options which aren't available in the UK but retain RHD which has to be abetter bet for resale here.
I have, thanks. They only seem to have the Coast & Ocean models listed

Thanks for your responses, they're all really very much appreciated as good points raised. If I can, I'm going for option A as I think I read somewhere that (if I really want it) Car Play is around £400. Trouble is... someone reserved it already until Monday, although the dealer doesn't think he'll purchase it. it also DOES NOT have 'Seat driver, comfort height adjustment' so hopefully it's a swiveller.

I had a massive discussion with a VW dealer about swivel seats, as they had specced a demo with the comfort seat. They were trying to say it was fine to add an aftermarket one, so long as it was TUV-tested. Now I actually have a conversion, it's fine and a fairly simple job. I think they were quoting about £300 to add the swivel but my excellent converter charges less than that, don't know if that helps.

I had a massive discussion with a VW dealer about swivel seats, as they had specced a demo with the comfort seat. They were trying to say it was fine to add an aftermarket one, so long as it was TUV-tested. Now I actually have a conversion, it's fine and a fairly simple job. I think they were quoting about £300 to add the swivel but my excellent converter charges less than that, don't know if that helps.
That does help - thank you!

Just to Coast & Ocean available in the Republic of Ireland, no Beach....

Beach & Ocean available in Northern Ireland, as per rest of the UK.

Option A for me.

Parking heater and hookup are a must imho, you can get them both fitted after but factory fit is preferential. Many beaches don't have a parking heater so it makes it desireable too.

App connect is to be frank a bit disappointing imho and not worth the money.

What MattBW said. I tried to find a Beach with parking heater over the last month or two before putting a factory order in and (a) there weren't many available and (b) they were all really expensive. I personally wouldn't want to retrofit to a brand new van.

Back