Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi everybody,

Glyn

Glyn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi everybody, my name is Glyn and my wife is Colette. We live in Liverpool and purchased our California SE 180PS fitted with a 7 speed automatic direct shift (DSG) gearbox on 16th May 2014. See below for the long list of extras.

We spent 10 years touring Europe in a Landrover, using a tent for accommodation. It came time to look for something more user friendly and we viewed caravans, motorhomes and the camper van. The salesman at the Liverpool van centre said when we first saw the California in the showroom that most people take about a year to make up their mind, he was right. A year later and after much discussion between my wife and I we decided the campervan best suited our needs and we put down our deposit and waited 16 weeks for delivery.

Collecting the van on a Friday afternoon we returned home, loaded it up with bedding, food for the weekend etc. and off we excitedly toddled to a campsite in Snowdonia. We had thought it would take time to learn how everything worked (the rock n roll bed, the roof tent, turning the front seats around et al) and generally get used to the van. Nothing could be further from the truth, everything is so well thought out and easy to use by the end of the weekend we felt we had owned it for years. It just felt “comfortable” from the very first night. Arriving at a site we have everything done and the kettle on in minutes.

We planned to use the van at least one weekend in every month but have missed 8 up to now, on the plus side that means we have succeeded 20 times. I keep a record of all our trips, so far we have spent 36 nights in the UK and 82 nights in Europe sleeping in it, so not too bad!

Our aim is to visit all the historic counties in the UK. There are 92 and so far we’ve only managed 12. Must stop popping over to Europe!

I’ve gone on a bit/lot above but if you are still awake here’s the list of options we purchased when we bought the van:-

Factory fitted options:-
Natural grey exterior and RL interior
Bluetooth Premier
Tyre pressure monitor
Black awning
TFT display
Privacy glass
Comfort mattress
Mud flaps, front and rear
Front and rear parking sensors
Multi function steering wheel
Storage net
Safe
Lane change assist
Heated rear window and washwipe

Van centre fitted accessories:
Chrome bars
Tinted windows (privacy glass isn’t very private)
Bumper protector
Bike rack
Wind deflectors
Headlamp protectors
Waterproof seat covers
Monster mats for front
Brandrup carpet for rear

Welcome allong , i used to have a Hannibal roof(box) tent on my Def 90 .
Sold the Def for the Cali = much more fun to me !

Me too, an Eezi-Awn on a 110, but always suspected that I'd be happier in a T2/4/5/6.... :)

Welcome Glyn, great to hear that you're enjoying the Cali.

I dreamd of a Cali before i bought a Def ....
But a Def 90 was all my budget could take at my 30's ....when getting to 40y i had some more savings...resulting in my dreamcar . Always said i wanted one since i got my driverslicence on my 18th , back then it was the T4 ...

Welcome Glyn, nice write-up. Love the 180/DSG combination.

Hi Glyn and welcome. Spent many happy hours driving a 110 and looking to spend many more in the Cali.

Mike

We've used a Discovery 2, Discovery 3 and a Defender over the years. Although the slowest and noisiest the Defender was the most fun. We had an Oztent, brilliant tent but I wouldn't go back - the Cali is just superb!

Hi Glyn and welcome. Spent many happy hours driving a 110 and looking to spend many more in the Cali.

Mike
We had a 90 but did fancy the 110 so we could have slept in the back. Great vehicles but wouldn't swap the Cali even if I was offered one of each. Good luck against Sunderland tomorrow.

We had a 90 but did fancy the 110 so we could have slept in the back. Great vehicles but wouldn't swap the Cali even if I was offered one of each. Good luck against Sunderland tomorrow.
No I agree with you. Drove the 110 under different circumstances and no substitute for a Cali. They were definitely more fun behind the wheel rather than on the bench seats in the back.
And thanks will change the Avatar when I get my Cali.

Mike