Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi - New member, quick introduction

Stoo24

Stoo24

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi, just joined as thinking about buying a Beach Camper. My wife and I have 3 kids (9, 6 & 4) and currently have a Sharan with DSG and use it to tow our caravan. I've also got a company car and thinking about not renewing the lease when it comes up later this year and possibly getting a Beach. We'd still keep the caravan and maybe change the Sharan for something smaller/cheaper. A Beach Camper with 3 seat bench seems ideal for what we need i.e. short and long hops with 3 kids, caravan tug, short stay camping on site or wild with me doing a lot of hillwalking up north (we're in Scottish Borders). My parents used to have a T5 Campervan conversion (Autotrail Trooper), which I borrowed from time to time, so I'm familiar with a lot of the pros and cons of different layouts and features etc but finding information on this site really helpful. I'm not 100% decided on what to do yet but will keep you posted and may have a few questions. Cheers, Stuart.

Hello Stuart,
As a father of four (all grown up) and now a grandfather of eight, I can tell you that there is no finer vehicle for your circumstances. I only wish the Beach had been available when our kids were young. Having said that I could never have afforded one then.

We have a seven seater T6 Beach and I have yet to find anything that it doesn't do well. You can use it as a mini bus, a beach hut, a sports pavillion, a removal van, a mobile office, a secret off grid bolt hole on wheels, a brilliant tow vehicle etc etc........oh and as a camper van it is second to none. The down stairs bed is huge and theirs another upstairs. The storage possibilities are über flexible and there are numerous companies making all sorts of very imaginative camping accessories specifically for the Beach. So you should be able to taylor make your storage to suit your personal needs and here's the best bit, none of it is fixed so this vehicle is incredibly flexible.

Options:
1. If you do decide to get a Beach Camper then I would say that number one on your option list should be the diesel parking heater. It turns the van into a 365 day a year camper and has other major benefits as well. You can defrost the van whilst still having your breakfast just by pressing the heater remote from the comfort of your house. When it comes to doing the school run the van is already toasty warm with no ice to scrape. Trust me you must get this option or your family will will never forgive you.

2. With the three seater bench seat you will need some form of mattress to make it comfortable for sleeping on. There are all sorts of alternatives but it's the "VW Comfort Mattress" option that is IMO, the one to go for as it converts a bumpy undulating bench seat into a perfectly flat bed. It's underside is contoured to mirror the bumps in the folded bench seat. You may find it rather hard though so don't be too misled by the term "Comfort". Think of the Comfort mattress as the starting point in constructing a comfortable bed. It isn't that comfortable but is IMO, essential as a base platform.

Useful game changing accessories:
1. Brandrup Isotop roof liner: Makes the roof warmer, darker, almost draught free and keeps the damp out.
2. Pull out boot tray: this is also a game changer. Without one the thing you want will always be buried in the depths of the boot and will almost always nessesitate you having to kneel on wet grass to tunnel in under the Multiflex board to find it. With a pull out tray you can instantly access anything in the boot.
3. Water proof seat covers: With kids and dogs they are an absolute must.
4. Compressor fridge/freezer: These things are expensive but essential when camping.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Hello Stuart,
As a father of four (all grown up) and now a grandfather of eight, I can tell you that there is no finer vehicle for your circumstances. I only wish the Beach had been available when our kids were young. Having said that I could never have afforded one then.

We have a seven seater T6 Beach and I have yet to find anything that it doesn't do well. You can use it as a mini bus, a beach hut, a sports pavillion, a removal van, a mobile office, a secret off grid bolt hole on wheels, a brilliant tow vehicle etc etc........oh and as a camper van it is second to none. The down stairs bed is huge and theirs another upstairs. The storage possibilities are über flexible and there are numerous companies making all sorts of very imaginative camping accessories specifically for the Beach. So you should be able to taylor make your storage to suit your personal needs and here's the best bit, none of it is fixed so this vehicle is incredibly flexible.

Options:
1. If you do decide to get a Beach Camper then I would say that number one on your option list should be the diesel parking heater. It turns the van into a 365 day a year camper and has other major benefits as well. You can defrost the van whilst still having your breakfast just by pressing the heater remote from the comfort of your house. When it comes to doing the school run the van is already toasty warm with no ice to scrape. Trust me you must get this option or your family will will never forgive you.

2. With the three seater bench seat you will need some form of mattress to make it comfortable for sleeping on. There are all sorts of alternatives but it's the "VW Comfort Mattress" option that is IMO, the one to go for as it converts a bumpy undulating bench seat into a perfectly flat bed. It's underside is contoured to mirror the bumps in the folded bench seat. You may find it rather hard though so don't be too misled by the term "Comfort". Think of the Comfort mattress as the starting point in constructing a comfortable bed. It isn't that comfortable but is IMO, essential as a base platform.

Useful game changing accessories:
1. Brandrup Isotop roof liner: Makes the roof warmer, darker, almost draught free and keeps the damp out.
2. Pull out boot tray: this is also a game changer. Without one the thing you want will always be buried in the depths of the boot and will almost always nessesitate you having to kneel on wet grass to tunnel in under the Multiflex board to find it. With a pull out tray you can instantly access anything in the boot.
3. Water proof seat covers: With kids and dogs they are an absolute must.
4. Compressor fridge/freezer: These things are expensive but essential when camping.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Thanks Borris, all useful info and suggestions. I'm working my way through all the options threads and had short listed many of your add-ons.
I would definitely get the heater option and wonder if that then reduces the benefit of the heated windscreen option? Given most cold starts will be when the van is at home I can point my remote at it and warm it up. Is that how it works? I'm well inland in Scotland and used to scraping windscreens but have grown soft in recent years as I've been driving an electric hybrid and the best bit about it is using my phone app to heat it up while I'm still lying in bed!
I note the comfort mattress and bed extension option is one item on the VW configurator and wonder what the extension bit is?
I've read some threads about the Isotop v top cover options and can see the benefit of not having to faff with an external cover, although additional weather protection of an external cover might be beneficial. If crazy weather, I might just keep the roof down.
Note the tray option and will search for info on this. I did see one on a supplier website and seemed expensive.
Covers will make sense. We do have a dog too.
I found some fridge/cool box threads too. I would get something that can be stored behind the passenger seat I think.

Thanks Borris, all useful info and suggestions. I'm working my way through all the options threads and had short listed many of your add-ons.
I would definitely get the heater option and wonder if that then reduces the benefit of the heated windscreen option? Given most cold starts will be when the van is at home I can point my remote at it and warm it up. Is that how it works? I'm well inland in Scotland and used to scraping windscreens but have grown soft in recent years as I've been driving an electric hybrid and the best bit about it is using my phone app to heat it up while I'm still lying in bed!
I note the comfort mattress and bed extension option is one item on the VW configurator and wonder what the extension bit is?
I've read some threads about the Isotop v top cover options and can see the benefit of not having to faff with an external cover, although additional weather protection of an external cover might be beneficial. If crazy weather, I might just keep the roof down.
Note the tray option and will search for info on this. I did see one on a supplier website and seemed expensive.
Covers will make sense. We do have a dog too.
I found some fridge/cool box threads too. I would get something that can be stored behind the passenger seat I think.
Some will say that if you have the diesel parking heater you don't need the heated windscreen and that is undoubtedly true for most of the time. However, we have both options and have found that on really icy mornings they compliment each other nicely. Stick the heater on whilst indoors and use the heated screen if there's still any ice on the screen when you're ready to leave.

Some will say that if you have the diesel parking heater you don't need the heated windscreen and that is undoubtedly true for most of the time. However, we have both options and have found that on really icy mornings they compliment each other nicely. Stick the heater on whilst indoors and use the heated screen if there's still any ice on the screen when you're ready to leave.
Thanks again Borris. Another option to consider but suspect I'll be needing to cut down the list to keep within budget, if I buy new. 2nd hand Beaches seem as rare as hen's teeth at the moment and those that are around are not cheap enough compared to new price. I'm going to take a trip to a dealer and scope out costs, delivery times etc. I'm in no desperate rush to commit but did read that those ordering now are being told 2nd quarter next year for delivery. Not sure if that's the same for all Californias.

Thanks again Borris. Another option to consider but suspect I'll be needing to cut down the list to keep within budget, if I buy new. 2nd hand Beaches seem as rare as hen's teeth at the moment and those that are around are not cheap enough compared to new price. I'm going to take a trip to a dealer and scope out costs, delivery times etc. I'm in no desperate rush to commit but did read that those ordering now are being told 2nd quarter next year for delivery. Not sure if that's the same for all Californias.
Sorry, I can't help regarding delivery times.

All I can say is that Beaches for sale are in short supply on the second hand market. I think that one reason maybe because people tend to hang onto them longer. Because of that you will probably struggle finding one that suits your check list. I had the same problem and concluded that buying new was the only way. It will cost you more but you'll end up with exactly what you want. These vehicles hold their value better than almost anything else on the road so it's not much of a gamble.

Check the price that Drive the Deal and Auto Ebid are quoting first, so you have a target price when visiting the dealer.

New Beaches (and Coasts) are certainly being delivered quicker than Oceans at the moment. I’ve seen 3 months on here, if you’re lucky.
Oceans are 12months+

Thanks all. Looking at approx 9% discount on RRP on both Drive the Deal and Auto Bid with a few of my options added. Good to know.