Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi! Which options are a must on a beach?

N

NathanBarratt

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi
We have narrowed our search down to a nearly new T5 beach, but getting confused by the dizzying array of options. I'd really welcome your advice on which options are a must and which we can do without. It will be my everyday car and used for a few over night stops at sports events and an annual trip to France with 2 adults and three kids under 5 and then the odd weekend away.

I've seen price difference of about 3000 between a fairly basic spec and a fully loaded one.

So far the essential options are a bike rack and drive away awning. After that we aren't sure and we'd be really grateful for your advice.

Heater is essential (with or without the remote). In fact for Nottingham don't bother with the remote how many frosty days have we had in the last 2 years where you might want to use it from inside the house.

Following a lot of the discussions recently about the seats, stick to the standard ones that swivel. We only swivel the passenger seat, but with 5 I guess you'll swivel both.

We have the mfsw which is worth it although I think the options on this have changed for the T6. We also have the comfort mattress but there are plenty of other options people use. You'll find them if you search.

We're in South Notts, so if you want a quick look round ours, then give me a shout.

PS and the drive away awning.

one mans must have is another mans luxury - but having just picked up a Beach my main considerations were.

Do your research and decide what you need - i decided to trust VW and stick with as much standard kit as poss - solid colour / standard wheels / dash / stereo etc - I am not disappointed.

my extras were

Parking heater - MH
Internal lights LED - MH
External lights - fogs
Extra rear window (as not gone for 3 zone air con) MH
Privacy glass - MH
Heated screen
Awning
Additional 6th seat

In my experience there are four MHs - the rest is about added convenience, vanity and perceived resale values. My van is my only car so it needs to be practical, comfortable and adaptable - and it is. I have saved my money for getting the camping kit, fridge and storage bits right.

Have fun

Fabulous, thank you, that is really helpful. I'm hearing loud and clear about the heater. That will help to narrow down our search. Your time is much appreciated.
Looking forward to finding that right one now.

Heater is essential (with or without the remote). In fact for Nottingham don't bother with the remote how many frosty days have we had in the last 2 years where you might want to use it from inside the house.
Inside the house?
We use the remote inside the van!

I place it adjacent to the bed at night and it is the height of luxury to just stretch an arm out from under the duvet in the morning, press the button and then snuggle back under until van is toasty warm. Highly recommended for Autumn/Winter/Spring camping.

I use our remote from inside the house, look out the front door if its icy click the remote then go and have a shower, luxury, bloody luxury. Van all toasty warm and defrosted when you get in.

I use our remote from inside the house, look out the front door if its icy click the remote then go and have a shower, luxury, bloody luxury. Van all toasty warm and defrosted when you get in.
Yep just done the same this morning before the school run as it was pretty frosty over here, the remote is very handy indeed.

It very much depends on what you want to use the van for:

For me heater is only really a must if you plan to camp off season or without a hookup. Don't get me wrong I wish I had one. They are great for wild camping and cold mornings but a must, depends on your use? They are great but you will pay more for it. The diesel vans are slow to heat up especially if stationary so it will make frosty mornings easier potentially. When camping I use a small oil filled radiator on hookup.

My extras were:

Privacy Glass a must for me, good for camping, generally privacy and keeping inside of the van cooler in summer..
3 seat bench
Dab satnav radio
Cruise control/Bluemotion etc eat the miles up.
Seat covers.
Reversing sensors, I wouldn't have a vehicle this size without them again. After driving the cali I have even pondered fitting them on my old van.

heater, cruise control, parking sensors, manual airco

you can save a lot of money on
- engine size and chiptune (the 84 ps is exactly the same, but software limited version of the 140ps).
- car radio - aftermarket radio does the job fine (beware - if you order without radio you have only 2 speakers, can be retrofitted though)

if you don't take additional seats, it might be tough to get 6 or 7 seats on the paperwork later.

heater, cruise control, parking sensors, manual airco

you can save a lot of money on
- engine size and chiptune (the 84 ps is exactly the same, but software limited version of the 140ps).
- car radio - aftermarket radio does the job fine (beware - if you order without radio you have only 2 speakers, can be retrofitted though)

if you don't take additional seats, it might be tough to get 6 or 7 seats on the paperwork later.
Remapping is fine, it works, it can also invalidate your 3 year UK warranty for anything Drivetrain related.

Also the 102ps ( smallest engine in UK ) only has a 5 speed gearbox.

Hi
We have narrowed our search down to a nearly new T5 beach, but getting confused by the dizzying array of options. I'd really welcome your advice on which options are a must and which we can do without. It will be my everyday car and used for a few over night stops at sports events and an annual trip to France with 2 adults and three kids under 5 and then the odd weekend away.

I've seen price difference of about 3000 between a fairly basic spec and a fully loaded one.

So far the essential options are a bike rack and drive away awning. After that we aren't sure and we'd be really grateful for your advice.
Get the auxillary heater with remote control. It is very expensive but you will not regret it. IMO it is the best value option on the list.

Get the auxillary heater with remote control. It is very expensive but you will not regret it. IMO it is the best value option on the list.
It will definitely be the first thing people ask about when you come to sell it.