Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

High milers

deltheblue

deltheblue

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Is everyone driving round in new calis or are some of you like me using a vehicle with high mileage?

The reason I ask is I'm going to Europe in November in mine for the first time and though mine runs great I have a niggling about breaking down,good experiences with high milers would make me feel better.....

What do you call "high mileage"?

what is your ----- sidepod beat me to it

I would say good breakdown cover is required regardless of what millage is on the clock. New vans break down
I always get good breakdown cover even when I've hired new ones,My van runs like a dream and it'll be serviced before I go,It may be because I don't know the van yet and I'm a bit concerned

Done 137000 miles mainly on the continent, do have and always had breakdown cover and used this once

342,000 km on the clock and I happily spent 4 weeks cruising around Croatia and Slovenia this summer with the wife and two small kids and not a care in the world.

However, that was in a twenty year old T4, built like tanks they are!

342,000 km on the clock and I happily spent 4 weeks cruising around Croatia and Slovenia this summer with the wife and two small kids and not a care in the world.

However, that was in a twenty year old T4, built like tanks they are!
Wow that's fantastic

100000 plus mine is much higher but with a full service history and new gearbox clutch and flywheel got all receipts all done in germany
A colleague of mine is driving around in a 102hp T4 converted van that he bought about 6 years ago with 100,000 on the clock and now has circa 190,000. been off the road once in that time I think.

A colleague of mine is driving around in a 102hp converted van that he bought about 6 years ago with 100,000 on the clock and now has circa 190,000. been off the road once in that time I think.
I'm feeling good about things now some great responses and very reassuring cheers

240,000 kms is what we´ve done in our 2006 2.5 174ps.
new driveshaft at 210,000 and a new engine at 225,000 ( hole in a cylinder )
it will one day end up like Triggers Broom, but i love it.

240,000 kms is what we´ve done in our 2006 2.5 174ps.
new driveshaft at 210,000 and a new engine at 225,000 ( hole in a cylinder )
it will one day end up like Triggers Broom, but i love it.
How much was the new engine

11,500€ fitted with new clutch,manifold,intercooler and other new stuff.
Jesus that's a hit,mine has been well looked after and had new gearbox and clutch etc hoping I never have to shell out that type of dough as I think it would be scrapped

Jesus that's a hit,mine has been well looked after and had new gearbox and clutch etc hoping I never have to shell out that type of dough as I think it would be scrapped
Mine has also been well looked after, owned it from new and full service history.
You´re right it was a hit, but i didn´t want to sell it as a scrapper and then pay north
of 70,000€ for basically the same thing. 14,800€ vw quoted me without all the new stuff.
You´ve put me on a real downer thinking about it again.Thanks.

Mine has also been well looked after, owned it from new and full service history.
You´re right it was a hit, but i didn´t want to sell it as a scrapper and then pay north
of 70,000€ for basically the same thing. 14,800€ vw quoted me without all the new stuff.
You´ve put me on a real downer thinking about it again.Thanks.
Sorry mate you mentioned it I was looking for good reassuring stories :thumb

Our T4 with 260k+ km on it took us on several trips up to 7,000km, all at a constant 78mph, and never missed a beat.

I was initially concerned that it might be too much for a 25yr old van, but by the time I sold it I had complete faith in its ability to chomp huge distance without issue.

TBH there isn't much point in comparison between the 4 and 5.
Completely different engine design.

The 5 was never designed to be rebuilt or last. Fit for purpose. Last the life of the builders van then scrap it.

That said. With proper service it should go on long enough.