Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Higher suspension worth it?

Ok the tag didn't work on the previous message, so I'll try again... @Skewif .... any thoughts/views v much appreciated.

Kerb weight of the 4M only seems to be 100kg more than the equivalent standard van, so may be the 3 grey stripe vs 4 grey stripe T32 springs won't be significantly different...

Ok the tag didn't work on the previous message, so I'll try again... @Skewif .... any thoughts/views v much appreciated.

Kerb weight of the 4M only seems to be 100kg more than the equivalent standard van, so may be the 3 grey stripe vs 4 grey stripe T32 springs won't be significantly different...
I would go for it. 3 grey will be a noticeable improvement on what you have. Assuming you have 2 white stripes fitted the new springs are up 3 levels load / firmness. The difference between 3 and 4 grey is not that great but may depending on what is currently fitted give less lift. They will however not compress as much given the same load so should keep your flaps from dragging when fully laden. The number of stripes and small cost to have them fitted will soon be forgotten once a few corners have been taken with a smile. I await with great interest upon your verdict.

Last edited:
Ehem... so I the parcel with springs taken off a T32, arrived today from Customvanz. They are being fitted to my Cali tomorrow by a local garage. However to my dismay, despite having asked for 4 stripe springs I have just realised I been sent 3 stripe springs, off a non-4M van... :( :headbang I wonder whether these will be an improvement....

Votes for whether I should go ahead please...?

If I don't then my rear mudflaps will be trailing all the way to Luxembourg and France when we pile off there on Sunday... I'd so like to get them fitted really, but not if it's going to be a waste of time and money and no significant improvement over the standard Cali 4M springs... I do have Bilstein B6 shocks, so if the springs are a little softer than the 4M version, may be the extra 4M weight will be kept in check by them anyway. Am I missing anything or does anyone have any other thoughts ...@Skewif, @Gavrobb, @Loz, @Trebor (apologies for tagging you all but I need to make a decision before 1st thing tomorrow when the Cali is due in the garage)

Go for it ! 3 grey made massive difference to handling of my van . I’m having Bilstein b6 fitted next week ready for Norway .

I am interested in how much time and money the garage will charge to mount these. I understand it is more work on a 4motion van than fwd.

I am interested in how much time and money the garage will charge to mount these. I understand it is more work on a 4motion van than fwd.
I was charged £50 to just have rear springs fitted on a 4M. Also bought a pair of almost new 3 grey springs from the same garage for £10 just in case I ever want to lower mine back to std height. Good HD shocks are a must and can be had for around £100 a pair. So can have a much better drive for less than £200.

Great, thank you. I guess the HD shocks also requires some detective work to found out which to have?

Great, thank you. I guess the HD shocks also requires some detective work to found out which to have?
The Sachs HD shocks are a favourite on the German forums. I have them on the front of mine and know many who have fitted on the rear. Less than half the cost of B6 and no real need to tell insurance as are a std OEM option for a Cali in certain countries.
Happy to dig out the part number if needed.

The Sachs HD shocks are a favourite on the German forums. I have them on the front of mine and know many who have fitted on the rear. Less than half the cost of B6 and no real need to tell insurance as are a std OEM option for a Cali in certain countries.
Happy to dig out the part number if needed.
The fact that an owner fits uprated suspension components to a standard Cali would tend to indicate they will drive it with more verve than the average plodder, I would think the insurance co would like to know their risk is increased because of that. Of course you will only find out their opinion if you have a large claim in the future.

Apologies for the delay in replying I'm away at the moment. I was quoted £75 and £108 from two different garages to fit the springs and new top and bottom spring mounts I supplied. I think it is a little more work on a 4M but not as much work/cost as replacing the front springs

Go for it ! 3 grey made massive difference to handling of my van . I’m having Bilstein b6 fitted next week ready for Norway .
I did indeed go for it and I am delighted with the results. With the new springs and rubbers the rear of the van sits approx 35mm higher than it did previously. It handles a full load much better and the springing is still nice and progressive - not at all harsh

I would go for it. 3 grey will be a noticeable improvement on what you have. Assuming you have 2 white stripes fitted the new springs are up 3 levels load / firmness. The difference between 3 and 4 grey is not that great but may depending on what is currently fitted give less lift. They will however not compress as much given the same load so should keep your flaps from dragging when fully laden. The number of stripes and small cost to have them fitted will soon be forgotten once a few corners have been taken with a smile. I await with great interest upon your verdict.
I did indeed go for it and I am delighted with the results. With the new springs and rubbers the rear of the van sits approx 35mm higher than it did previously. It handles a full load much better and the springing is still nice and progressive - not at all harsh

Huh, the local VW dealer quoted me 250€ to install springs excluding springs itself.

No. Another example of servicing pricing, our Californias second service at 40.000km costs 470€ without anything but servicing, ie oil and a coupe filter etc.

Good to hear you're happy with the results. Is the tailgate now high enough to lessen the number of head injuries?

Cali is pretty high as standard for getting in/out (4m DSG version) going higher may not be well received by your passenger, long drop out and climb in. Main reason I had air suspension fitted.

Get the HD Antiroll bars. (ARB's).

Back