Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hob burner pan stands chrome bubbling

I have been in touch with Dometic and they would like to know some details for those effected by the bubbling on the pan stands. They haven't confirmed or denied any coating but do want more details. If you are interested in helping to get to the bottom of the issue please PM me.

I have been in touch with Dometic and they would like to know some details for those effected by the bubbling on the pan stands. They haven't confirmed or denied any coating but do want more details. If you are interested in helping to get to the bottom of the issue please PM me.
Third world problems it’s a burner hob just put your kettle on it and chill

We had this on a 73 plate Cali which we rejected due to bellowsgate. We recently collected a 24 plate. It’s a bit early to say as only used hob a couple of times but there are signs of it on this one too. Will let you know if it deteriorates.

Hi all, a quick question.

I expect the chrome pan stands around the burners to tarnish in the heat but is it normal on first use for the chrome to bubble up? Had plenty of other camping stoves and never seen this before but can't remember if they were chrome.

So before I attempt to clean them or get VW to replace is this normal?

View attachment 120752

View attachment 120755

View attachment 120757

View attachment 120758
Hi. By coincidence I just used my cooker this afternoon on my new California. I didn’t get the bubbling you experienced. Went blue/brown as expected. I think you need to get back to VW to rectify

I expect the chrome pan stands around the burners to tarnish in the heat but is it normal on first use for the chrome to bubble up? Had plenty of other camping stoves and never seen this before but can't remember if they were chrome.

So before I attempt to clean them or get VW to replace is this
Hi. By coincidence I just used my cooker this afternoon on my new California. I didn’t get the bubbling you experienced. Went blue/brown as expected. I think you need to get back to VW to rectify

View attachment 120752

View attachment 120755

View attachment 120757

View attachment 120758
We have a brand new Ocean and the same thing happened on our hob when we went on our first trip last week. I will be reporting it to VW now that I see it is happening to others too.

View attachment 120752

View attachment 120755

View attachment 120757

View attachment 120758
Mine did exactly the same during first use yesterday. I'm going to bring it up to the dealer. It's on a 3yr wrnty.
2023 VW Calif. Ocean. Picked up Oct. 23'. Manufacture started July 23.

Mine did exactly the same during first use yesterday. I'm going to bring it up to the dealer. It's on a 3yr wrnty.
2023 VW Calif. Ocean. Picked up Oct. 23'. Manufacture started July 23.
i think mine did the same its now burnt off and has no bubbling so give it a bit longer and it will probably be fine

What gas (and brand) are you using? Could this be a factor?

Ours have bubbled too on a MY24 Ocean. I can’t believe this isn’t effecting all more recent models. It’s nothing at all to do with the cookware. I was surprised by how hot the frames become on full heat, glowing red hot. I’m sure a metalurgist would instantly recognise the issue. Although tbh as it doesn’t effect the function at all I’m not too worried about it.

If anyone can get one to me at University of Southampton I can have a closer look. From the images it looks like a coating but we wouldn’t want to confirm without looking at it. If someone is prepared to lose their one I can section it and take a very close look to determine more. I would even reduce our consultancy daily rate from £1300 to a large glass of something

If anyone can get one to me at University of Southampton I can have a closer look. From the images it looks like a coating but we wouldn’t want to confirm without looking at it. If someone is prepared to lose their one I can section it and take a very close look to determine more. I would even reduce our consultancy daily rate from £1300 to a large glass of something

That would be interesting but I can’t see anyone sacrificing their pot stand in the interest of science.
I don’t know if it gives you a clue or not but the pot stands are magnetic.

There is a label on the underside of the hob not far from the gas isolation valve, mine is dated 9/11/23. I'll let you all know how we get on. If anyone has a recent cali without the bubbling on the stands ( hob must have been used) could you post a image of your label. Thanks1000016286.jpg

If they send replacements I'll be in touch!