Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hob ignition “knack”?

maxandcali

maxandcali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello!

Two trips in with our new T6 Ocean and getting the hobs to light seems to be a random lottery. They both definitely work, because we’ve used both several times, but it’s testing our patience as to why it won’t work first time each time we come to use it!

The gas is coming through (you can hear and smell it) and the spark from the ignitions appears every time, but it just doesn’t light the full ring every time.

Anyone else had this issue? Is there a knack of doing it, or does the gas switch under the hobs need to be on for X amount of minutes before attempting or anything like that??! :talktothehand

Thanks!

No problem with ours, but I've found letting the gas flow for about 5 secs before trying the igniter usually gives success...

I don't have a ocean but on my Dometic on my slidepod I can adjust the gap for the piezo, which I had to do as it wasn't lighting very well. Maybe the same can be done on the Ocean cooker. Otherwise check gas is turned on fully and give a clean of the burners.

I am sure a Ocean owner will be along to confirm.

Last edited:
I'm afraid not with the Ocean, the spark gap is pretty much fixed as it's a plain post surrounded by the ceramic - no 'prong' to bend.

Have you spilt something or had a boil over? May be some of the gas channels are blocked so you not getting even gas flow all round the burner?

hold the button down for a couple of secs. before lighting and once lit.

Have you spilt something or had a boil over? May be some of the gas channels are blocked so you not getting even gas flow all round the burner?

Not that I can remember. What would be the way to check/fix?

thanks.

Holding down the button before lighting is defenitly the way to go.
also parking sort of level seems to improve the willingness to light ..

Hello!

Two trips in with our new T6 Ocean and getting the hobs to light seems to be a random lottery. They both definitely work, because we’ve used both several times, but it’s testing our patience as to why it won’t work first time each time we come to use it!

The gas is coming through (you can hear and smell it) and the spark from the ignitions appears every time, but it just doesn’t light the full ring every time.

Anyone else had this issue? Is there a knack of doing it, or does the gas switch under the hobs need to be on for X amount of minutes before attempting or anything like that??! :talktothehand

Thanks!
You are holding the Gas Knob down for long enough after the Gas has been lit for the Flame Failure Sensor to be de-activated and allow the burner flame to continue? At least 5 to 10 secs.

Like it’s been said, turn the knob to full and press down a a sec or so before pressing the igniter. If it’s not working properly check the igniter cable underneath the left hand door

78C526E2-31CC-4A1D-8E38-51FB5A55B3D1.jpeg

You are holding the Gas Knob down for long enough after the Gas has been lit for the Flame Failure Sensor to be de-activated and allow the burner flame to continue? At least 5 to 10 secs.

Yeah like with any gas hob. Except when it hasn’t lit, there’s a lot of gas floating about in the van!

Thanks for everyone's advice/suggestions. Will give it another whirl and check underneath on the next trip.

We need to push down quite hard to get ours to light properly. Also make sure the knob has been turned back firmly against the stop when pushed down before pressing the igniter.

Alan

Have something similar but with only one of the burners. Leftie lights first push of the igniter. Rightie takes a volley of pushes 5 or 6 to ignite. Often can see the gas ignite away from burner and then blow away and out rather than jump back to the burner and ignite the whole ring.
May just be position of igniter and gas flow from nearest gas jet in the burner to the igniter on rightie.

Yes and if you put it on full to light it you’ll burn the hairs off your fingers!

1. Switch on gas inside cupboard
2. Turn control know on hob to on position
3. Leave for a few seconds
4. Depress control knob, hold and press igniter to light

Usually works for us,

Put a pan on the hob before you light it to trap the gas then press the ignitor.

Waggle the electrode prong. I find it gets oxide on it so a quick push and wiggle works wonders. Also note that Butane isnt very enthusiastic at vapourising in low temperatures like 5c