Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hole in roof bellows

C

CarolS

VIP Member
i took our 13 reg Cali to our local VW dealer on Tuesday after noticing that a very small hole has appeared in the roof bellows. The hole is close to the seam on the front of the roof bellows on the left hand side at about 8ins up from the bottom. After inspecting the hole I was told that the hole was as a result of the lining being caught in the scissors due to the doors and windows being closed when the roof was lowered. They also said that this was backed up by the burgee strap fitted to the roof which indicated laziness in closing the roof. Despite my protestations they refused to accept that the roof had never been closed with the doors and windows closed and that the bungess strap was used an an additional precaution. Nor would they accept that given the location of the hole there was no way it could have been caused by the roof mechanism.
As far as they were concerned no other reports of holes in the roof bellows had been reported and if it was not on the data base it was not a VW problem! Good service or what??? Appreciate any advice from others who may have encountered problems in getting issues resolved.

Rubbish from the dealer.

If it is on the forward facing face how on earth can it be scissor- mechanism caused?

Bungee is an extra, nothing to do with style of opening or closing.

I have small pinholes where the seam is, it is normal and certainly does not compromise the element protection of the roof bellows but a hole away from the seam must be a fabric flaw,.

I have a couple of little pin holes on the seam too, Jen, but I agree that a hole away from the seam can't be right. I also fail to see how a hole on the front panel could be created by the scissor mechanism when opening or closing... I would go to another dealer and see if you get a better service there, CarolS.

Maud

the burgee strap fitted to the roof which indicated laziness in closing the roof
How do they come to that conclusion? I would say it indicates an awareness of a problem that can occur and therefore make it less likely to happen. :confused:

Sounds like you likely caught it as you closed the inner sliding hatch to the roof...I damaged mine like that...hole in the same place as you describe.

Sounds like you likely caught it as you closed the inner sliding hatch to the roof...I damaged mine like that...hole in the same place as you describe.

Is the fabric really that fragile? :eek: There isn't anything sharp on the sliding hatch is there? You've got me worried now; I hold my breath as I put the roof up and down as it is, but hadn't worried about closing and opening the hatch until now! :(

Maud

Good tip. Will make a note of that. Thanks

Despite the appalling response for the dealer... I suspect you may be right.

I know of two others that have had this happen... one fairly new, the other older which looks more like it's been worn over time by the slider.

Need to be a little careful tucking the fabric away.

I'd still take it to another dealer though.

Rgds

M

Take photos & send to customer services with explanation of how one of their van centres treated you.

Sent from my SM-G900F

I agree with Andy. Worth a try!

Thanks for all the responses. I have no recollection of the roof snagging on the inner hatch and would have thought it would be something I would be aware of but I am happy to be corrected on this point. I am still fuming at the attitude of the service advisor whose comments I considered to be rude and offensive. I will take some photos and write to VW customer service to request a second opinion. It may not resolve the issue but at least I will have expressed my views with regard to the appalling attitude of the service advisor.

Did you repair the hole and if so how? TVM

Hi we have the same issue. Took to vw dealer who replaced below. I pointed out damage was due to large machined aluminium blocks in roof rails. We had never opened roof befor so was not due to our closing incorrectly. On collection I asked dealer to demonstrate again how to close. On raising the roof the new bellows was damaged again. We opened all doors and windows and suet roof. The bellows folded on the sharp edge of the block. They have replaced the bellows and we collect on Tuesday may (they have had since Jan) they can not confirm what blocks are for but they are not on new ones. But VW have told the dealer they can not remove. The car has now laps out of warranty this week

Hi we have the same issue. Took to vw dealer who replaced below. I pointed out damage was due to large machined aluminium blocks in roof rails. We had never opened roof befor so was not due to our closing incorrectly. On collection I asked dealer to demonstrate again how to close. On raising the roof the new bellows was damaged again. We opened all doors and windows and suet roof. The bellows folded on the sharp edge of the block. They have replaced the bellows and we collect on Tuesday may (they have had since Jan) they can not confirm what blocks are for but they are not on new ones. But VW have told the dealer they can not remove. The car has now laps out of warranty this week

Warranty end does not matter as you logged this fault when it was under warranty. If they still have not fixed it they should still do it under warranty.

Can you explain further, I don't understand exactly and it would be good to avoid!

When I opened my roof for the first time this year I saw that there is a hole on the upper right by the pole of the bellows and the inner strip is pointing out. I'm most particular about closing the roof and always check many times beside having elastic around the centre to pull inwards. Is this covered under the warranty. The Cali is a 2013 model. Thanks for any updates from above. I also notice that the very front at the top has to be carefully monitored when the roof is almost closed as it gets caught if not tucked in by hand.

When I opened my roof for the first time this year I saw that there is a hole on the upper right by the pole of the bellows and the inner strip is pointing out. I'm most particular about closing the roof and always check many times beside having elastic around the centre to pull inwards. Is this covered under the warranty. The Cali is a 2013 model. Thanks for any updates from above. I also notice that the very front at the top has to be carefully monitored when the roof is almost closed as it gets caught if not tucked in by hand.

Since my first post another 'gap' has appeared which is at the top of the front panel. This looks as if it is due to a small area of the roof bellows becoming detatched from the actual roof panel. I have raised this with VW customer services and after sending images have been advised a) the bellows are not covered under warranty, b) as the van is over 2 years old and we are not the original owners (we bought it when it was 6 months old) they were unable to offer a goodwill payment to help cover any repair cost. Other than the above they did not offer any explanation on how they reached the above decision. I am still pursuing the matter but it is a slow progress and I am currently waiting for a call back from supposedly someone higher up in the customer service department. Not at all impressed with the service so far! I recently posted images of the hole and gap under the 'general California chat' to see if anyone else had encountered any similar problems but have not received a great deal of response so can only assume other members have not had any problems with roof bellows and the warranty issue. Sorry I can't offer you anything more positive.

Since my first post another 'gap' has appeared which is at the top of the front panel. This looks as if it is due to a small area of the roof bellows becoming detatched from the actual roof panel. I have raised this with VW customer services and after sending images have been advised a) the bellows are not covered under warranty, b) as the van is over 2 years old and we are not the original owners (we bought it when it was 6 months old) they were unable to offer a goodwill payment to help cover any repair cost. Other than the above they did not offer any explanation on how they reached the above decision. I am still pursuing the matter but it is a slow progress and I am currently waiting for a call back from supposedly someone higher up in the customer service department. Not at all impressed with the service so far! I recently posted images of the hole and gap under the 'general California chat' to see if anyone else had encountered any similar problems but have not received a great deal of response so can only assume other members have not had any problems with roof bellows and the warranty issue. Sorry I can't offer you anything more positive.

How is your front roof panel, if you have corrosion and are due to be fixed by VW the bellows will be renewed as part of the repair process as I understand it.

Hi again, I'll soon be going home from a long trip and will be going to VW dealer hoping to have the hole in roof canvas fixed. As I wrote before the dark plastic insert rod is sticking out of the hole. Does anyone know what to call these rods? My dealer will have to order them and doesn't know what I mean as few Cali.s are sold in Ireland. I also want the one in front replaced as it is bent and protrudes when The roof is almost closed. If only VW had made the supports circular instead of upright. Thanks for any comments that could help
Aileenonroad

Update to above post. The VW dealers where I bought the Cali said that they couldn't do anything about above problems as probably I hadn't left a door open when lowering roof. This was the response they received from VW headquarters in Dublin to whom they had sent photos. I decided to contact them myself to insist that I was most careful when lowering roof jumping out many times to be sure that all the canvas was blowing inwards and further more the position of the hole meant that it couldn't have been caught by the bellows etc. A very nice man there agreed with me and he arranged for my Cali to be picked up, brought to Dublin where a whole new roof was put on. Couldn't believe it. I was in Thailand at the time in my winter home and they drove to storage, picked it up and returned it three weeks later. Terrific. Now it closes like a dream, no more buckling of the front plastic rod. Just an update that might help someone with similar problem

Result. Well done to you and your dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Update to above post. The VW dealers where I bought the Cali said that they couldn't do anything about above problems as probably I hadn't left a door open when lowering roof. This was the response they received from VW headquarters in Dublin to whom they had sent photos. I decided to contact them myself to insist that I was most careful when lowering roof jumping out many times to be sure that all the canvas was blowing inwards and further more the position of the hole meant that it couldn't have been caught by the bellows etc. A very nice man there agreed with me and he arranged for my Cali to be picked up, brought to Dublin where a whole new roof was put on. Couldn't believe it. I was in Thailand at the time in my winter home and they drove to storage, picked it up and returned it three weeks later. Terrific. Now it closes like a dream, no more buckling of the front plastic rod. Just an update that might help someone with similar problem

Aileen,

So so pleased to read of this outcome.

Hopefully we might soon enjoy that glass of wine in Ireland and we can celebrate victory to common sense :thumb