HOME FAST CHARGERS.

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Just been informed that our ID.BUZZ is on a boat on its way to Sheerness, so something I should have sorted out a while ago was how to get some of that electrickery stuff into it at home. This has been complicated by VW offering me a FREE home charger. As things seldom come as free, the catch is I have to take out a VW Finance Agreement, at 10.8 APR, which I don't need to do.
So, 1/ Do I take out finance, cost over three years, £14,581 - NO.
2/ Do I take out finance and cancel after a short period, and hope VW don't come and repatriate the charger - maybe
3/ Buy my own wall box. If so, recommendations for which type, name of any recommended installers (we're in Herts), and cost indications. I don't need anything too fancy, like being able to pair with solar panels, but like quality and reliability, just like a California!

Point 2 above. Pay off within 14days.

I now have a Zappi but the funtionality of the unit is not fully compatible with the BMW. However the ability to control it is much better than a dumb charger so to me worth the money

Point 2. The dealer said VW are "monitoring people that do this" whatever that means. I have experience of being a milk monitor at school. That enabled you to get an extra bottle of milk free. You have to be in your seventies to understand this.

It depends on the use it's going to get and where the charge comes from,.

My Cupra is not used every day so I use a three pin general home socket. As I have solar as well this means that as the 3 pin only draws 2.5KwH I'm not drawing more charge than is coming from the sun.

No doubt the Buzz will also have the same connectivity as the Cupra which means I can switch the charging on and off wherever I am, as I did on Friday when I was in London and noticed it was rather sunny on the South Coast :)

2 all day long. They chose the game you agreed to play.

I would also go for no.2. I, and many others, have done similar a number of times to get a deposit contribution/service plan etc. - never had any bother cancelling within the cooling off period, and it would be much easier to cancel a service plan or get back the deposit than uninstall a charger, assuming there isn’t a clause in the contract.

I have a Zappi at home, it works well once you get used to the language for programming etc. We don’t have solar yet, but it is meant to be the best for integration of alternative supply / batteries etc.; one off the reasons we went for it. Recommended, if you end up paying for a charger to be installed.

2/ Do I take out finance and cancel after a short period, and hope VW don't come and repatriate the charger - maybe
No need to cancel, just pay it off within a month and pay no interest?

A small amount of interest will be due. I paid £8.25 to BMW for a £500 contribution. Annoyed me slightly as I picked the car up on Saturday, paid it off on Monday. However the dealer took the finance out the previous Wednesday.

Purchased myenergy Zappi charger which works well with mobile App.
If your looking to add solar the Zappi is compatable.
Would also recommend Octopus as a supplier, GO tariff 12p per kw between 12.30-4.30.Screenshot_20221202-184658.png

A friend has brought a car twice on VW Finance to get the deposit contribution and then cancelled within the cooling off period. I think you have to pay the interest for the time you have borrowed the money but it was around £30.

Just make sure you pay the money off before the cooling off period.

Also check the small print as they may want you to have the finance in place for the charger to be fitted.

Good luck with the new Buzz.

I've applied for finance for our ID.Buzz which is currently sitting at Sheerness docks. I've requested to have it delivered and registered in January 2023. Will the wall box be installed by the time the Buzz is delivered, to make cancelling within the two week cooling off period an option ?

VW offer different options for home chargers, so make sure you know which one they are giving you for ‘free’, as you might be better off arranging you own; Ideally you want a charger that does live software updates over your home wifi so that’s future proof:

Surprisingly, Tesla home chargers are not only amongst the cheapest and most reliable, but also work with any type 2 equipped car, which I believe the ID Buzz is. Look at tesla.co.uk. Tesla's EU chargers are absolutely EU type 2 standard.

Surprisingly, Tesla home chargers are not only amongst the cheapest and most reliable, but also work with any type 2 equipped car, which I believe the ID Buzz is. Look at tesla.co.uk. Tesla's EU chargers are absolutely EU type 2 standard.

I got an unused Tesla charger off eBay for £300 - haven’t installed it yet though as we cancelled a Tesla 3 long range lease deal due to both cost and our Cali arriving quicker than anticipated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk