Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Home

James

James

Top Poster
VIP Member
So I picked up the Beach today. Perhaps not the best day, it rained and rained and then it rained some more - we were down to 40 on the m way - I had not driven Betty before and it was a bit squeaky bum time - but okay, just pulled over into the slow lane and took my time.

With 20 miles on the clock the first few miles felt tight and the engine did not loosen up but then it came into it's own. Comfortably sitting at 70 (when not raining).

Quite bouncy - but it is a van - handling still quite fun, steering light and it's quick to turn - again, the bonus of a van i guess.

Very comfortable - like having a space to rest my leg. Made it home no problems and by about half way i had got to that stage where you get used a vehicle and you start to learn about it.

Good exchange at Peterborough - all went smoothly - all very interested in Betty. They are ordering in a white one to replace Betty - they think the yellow is nice, personally I think white, the candy white looks superb on all California's and Caravelles.

There is some wonderful detail in the van and me and my partner spent some time just playing with bits and bobs.

MPG - not bad, about 38, but did not drop significantly in town, so for a new vehicle that is not bad.

Kenwood system lovely to use - very showy - but really nice.

I have ordered some Fogs to be added but decided against fitting folding mirrors - at £900 it just seemed too expensive.

It's not as roomy as the T25/T3/Vanagon - but that's a good thing - it's big enough without being a nightmare to drive around town.

I may sleep on the drive tonight

James

Woooo hoooo. Nice one :thumb :thumb glad you got it ok :barmy

Excellent very exciting.

I have just received my new mattress, so will post a review of that soon.

Also, new mats for the footwell, seem excellent, again, I will post a small review soon.

I achieved a miraculous 49.6MPG on the way home from work tonight, mostly sat on the motorway at 55MPH, though did have some queuing traffic on the M4.

I agree on the white it does look nice, though it still gives the worry of being "White Van Man". A colleague at work also pointed out the risk of Silver looking like a taxi, so I am quite pleased with the yellow,

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks everyone

I wasn't sure of yellow at first but it grows on you - it is a really nice shade.

Betty.jpg

You've all seen a Beach - but here's some Beach on Beach action or a Beach by a Beach so to speak...

We have been saddled with Bof on the number plate - I could go to the DVLA for VW 05 BCH for £800... lol.

The tyres have eco written on them - I know they are part of the blue motion package but that tickled me.

Betty2.jpg

James

Betty looks great.....very jealous, but looking forward to reading your exciting experiences!

I am really keen on the yellow. Good phots. Thanks.

syrup1971 said:
Excellent very exciting.

I have just received my new mattress, so will post a review of that soon.

Also, new mats for the footwell, seem excellent, again, I will post a small review soon.

I achieved a miraculous 49.6MPG on the way home from work tonight, mostly sat on the motorway at 55MPH, though did have some queuing traffic on the M4.

I agree on the white it does look nice, though it still gives the worry of being "White Van Man". A colleague at work also pointed out the risk of Silver looking like a taxi, so I am quite pleased with the yellow,

Cheers,

Chris

Chris

Reviews would be good - I got some lovely grey mats with the van - but any reviews would be welcome :)

I agree with the silver - lol

James

Hi,

Lovin the Beach by the beach!

We also picked up our VW Cali from Cooks in Peterborough back in March and had a problem during handover but reassuringly John in service provided excellent service & couldnt have been more helpful.

Enjoy BC :barmy

Dave and Lisa

Skywalker said:
I am really keen on the yellow. Good phots. Thanks.

Luke - it's a lovely colour - I thought by putting photos up in real world situations it would give a better idea of the colour.

It's quite pastel and creamy - it looks really nice :)

James

inthemidnighthour said:
Hi,

Lovin the Beach by the beach!

We also picked up our VW Cali from Cooks in Peterborough back in March and had a problem during handover but reassuringly John in service provided excellent service & couldnt have been more helpful.

Enjoy BC :barmy

Dave and Lisa

From what I gather Cooks have not really sold Cali's - I was told that some dealers are allowed to sell Cali's and others are not.. They weren't and now they are... My impression of sales were good, helpful, answered all my questions, always answered e mails...

I think the service depends on the salespersons knowledge and how much they put into it. There were bits about the Beach they did not know, yet I did... Granted I am a geek but nonetheless, these are expensive vehicles and I think people expect something of a tailored service.

That's my thoughts - I would happily by from Cooks - not least because the person i dealt with, David, was helpful and answered my questions as well as holding the van until finances came through.

thank you - yes, we've been out tonight, found myself on some of Essex's finest twisty unlit roads. Was a bit unexpected and I am not fully use to the Beach yet but it was fine. It's a surprisingly fun vehicle to drive, relativity good feedback from the steering. I would not say you can attack corner with speed but it turns in nicely.

James

davefevs said:
Betty looks great.....very jealous, but looking forward to reading your exciting experiences!

Thank you :)

I am not sure when VW designed their Beach brochures with perfect sand covered beaches, toned men doing some sporting activity and adoring women doing whatever adoring women do when buff men pull up in their van and go surfing. I am not sure that they ever imagined I would by one, park by the side of the Thames Estuary with its dank dark water with the worlds longest pleasure pier and take photos.

I am not sure that's the image they imagined lol.

James

syrup1971 said:
I agree on the white it does look nice, though it still gives the worry of being "White Van Man". A colleague at work also pointed out the risk of Silver looking like a taxi

Just realised I possibly upset all the forum members with white & silver Calis - not my intention, I like both those colours :oops: :oops:

syrup1971 said:
syrup1971 said:
I agree on the white it does look nice, though it still gives the worry of being "White Van Man". A colleague at work also pointed out the risk of Silver looking like a taxi

Just realised I possibly upset all the forum members with white & silver Calis - not my intention, I like both those colours :oops: :oops:

lol I think people would have been more upset if you'd said you hated Toffee Brown - that seems to be very popular.

I actually wish there were some more pastel retro colours to choose from with Cali's but I guess there is a limited market here. Something like the light blue Mini do for example.

James

Wow! How excited - picked up our lovely 'candy white' beach today. She's an absolute pleasure to drive. Love the height, love how quiet it is, and it's just so comfy! My 11 year old wanted to also sleep out on the drive on it tonight - but he'll have to wait until the weekend! (if he can!!!!).

So we got the mats from VW, we got a carpet which covers the front carpet, and then some rubber mats. But we do need some mats for the back of the car, as the 'grey' colour seems to get quite dirty, really quickly.

We've got the three seats in the back, and whilst they are all like little cupboards underneath. The middle one has a sliding tray on it - does anybody else have more trays or just the one tray?

Our's is called Bertha Bus and she's beautiful. We bought her from VW at York, the service was brilliant. Chris who we bought it from spent ages today talking me through it, giving loads of tips etc! I'd defo go back to them.

I've also read through some postings about car insurance. We went through Priveledge - which I think is part of direct line. They have the beach listed, so was easy to insure.

Any tips or info from anybody would be fab!!!!

Kimmhu said:
Wow! How excited - picked up our lovely 'candy white' beach today. She's an absolute pleasure to drive. Love the height, love how quiet it is, and it's just so comfy! My 11 year old wanted to also sleep out on the drive on it tonight - but he'll have to wait until the weekend! (if he can!!!!).

So we got the mats from VW, we got a carpet which covers the front carpet, and then some rubber mats. But we do need some mats for the back of the car, as the 'grey' colour seems to get quite dirty, really quickly.

We've got the three seats in the back, and whilst they are all like little cupboards underneath. The middle one has a sliding tray on it - does anybody else have more trays or just the one tray?

Our's is called Bertha Bus and she's beautiful. We bought her from VW at York, the service was brilliant. Chris who we bought it from spent ages today talking me through it, giving loads of tips etc! I'd defo go back to them.

I've also read through some postings about car insurance. We went through Priveledge - which I think is part of direct line. They have the beach listed, so was easy to insure.

Any tips or info from anybody would be fab!!!!

Hey that's great :)

I also got some lovely VW mats but I have covered with a Megavan mats front mat - it's lovely on the feet and has yellow and black edging.

I am thinking of placing a carpet in the middle or a mat and any tips would also be grateful.

All my seats in the rear (three bench) have trays - I can also claim to have the optional 'waste bin' (£16) which sits in the drivers door pocket, it's nothing to get excited or envious about :) lol

I have quite a basic spec on mine - Multi Function Steering Wheel, Privacy Glass and Awning. I added Kenwood Satnav and I will be adding front fogs soon. For a 30k+ vehicle in basic spec the amount of toys is not great - but then as a vehicle it is hard to compare to anything else? And what else for the money gives you what the Beach does?

There are a couple of Velles used a daily drivers round here - not sure what they will make of it lol

What are your plans then?

James

Wow your Beach looks lovely. We are picking up ours on Friday and are very excited. Just one thing, the folding mirrors are quite cheap when ordered with a new van, about £125 I think. Sounds like £900 is for an aftermarket fit?

One thing, we found it took about six calls to sort the free 7 day insurance. They seem to keep losing the Beach from their underwriting list. Just watch out!

Happy camping...

rupertpoon said:
Wow your Beach looks lovely. We are picking up ours on Friday and are very excited. Just one thing, the folding mirrors are quite cheap when ordered with a new van, about £125 I think. Sounds like £900 is for an aftermarket fit?

One thing, we found it took about six calls to sort the free 7 day insurance. They seem to keep losing the Beach from their underwriting list. Just watch out!

Happy camping...

That's correct - my plans were to add the folding mirrors and the fogs but at £900 - not a chance, also having a yellow beach means no colour coded mirrors and in my mind, damage will be scuffs. It just will not be worth it for me.

I set a budget for a few bits after buying it. Most retrofit items are more expensive than they would be from the factory.

I had folding mirrors on my previous car, never really used them, I guess in a larger van they would be handy.

Despite the expense and the possible repairs I am toying with xenons but that and fogs will be my lot - anything i add will have to add to the driving experience or safety.

i can assure you once you have it - you will really love it and be happy to drive it around whatever equipment they have :)

Keep us updated for Friday :) :thumb

I also got some lovely VW mats but I have covered with a Megavan mats front mat - it's lovely on the feet and has yellow and black edging.

I am thinking of placing a carpet in the middle or a mat and any tips would also be grateful.

All my seats in the rear (three bench) have trays - I can also claim to have the optional 'waste bin' (£16) which sits in the drivers door pocket, it's nothing to get excited or envious about :) lol

I have quite a basic spec on mine - Multi Function Steering Wheel, Privacy Glass and Awning. I added Kenwood Satnav and I will be adding front fogs soon. For a 30k+ vehicle in basic spec the amount of toys is not great - but then as a vehicle it is hard to compare to anything else? And what else for the money gives you what the Beach does?

There are a couple of Velles used a daily drivers round here - not sure what they will make of it lol

James[/quote]

For the back I've bought a house rug & put an anti-slip rug under it. The rug's black & grey & looks lovely. I'll add some pictures later.

I'll go back to VW about the trays, he said he'd get some for us.

No real plans yet, other than family fun :D

Your van looks lovely, & has more than ours!!! Btw - if you don't mind me asking, how much are the fog lights?

Thanks

Kimmhu said:

James

For the back I've bought a house rug & put an anti-slip rug under it. The rug's black & grey & looks lovely. I'll add some pictures later.

I'll go back to VW about the trays, he said he'd get some for us.

No real plans yet, other than family fun :D

Your van looks lovely, & has more than ours!!! Btw - if you don't mind me asking, how much are the fog lights?

Thanks[/quote]

They all look lovely - I think all the pre reg dealer vans have similar equipment - I will be honest, had I ordered from the factory I would have added climtronic and auto lights/wipers. The multi function steering wheel is good - but had i realised that being a van the stereo is within easy reach I might not have bothered that said, it's great to control the ipod from the steering wheel.

Chris who bought the van in Tonbridge - has a lovely spec - the parking heater and extra seats.

The fogs are an eye watering £650 (thereabouts) - that's in part because they are the static cornering lights, I am not sure, but I think you could have standard lights for less.

The rug sounds like a good idea - some pics would be great? I need some inspiration!

The trays should be there - they are part of the vehicle - you should also have the good night set of blinds which should be in the trays. I did make sure mine were all there because when I saw the Beach in Tonbridge they were in the trays.

Looking forward to the pics

James

Thank you again for this info. I spoke to 'superstar' Chris at vw York & he's going to get us some more trays. By good night blinds, do you mean the ones for the front windows? We did get those in a lovely bag. Have to say though we haven't tried doing the front window yet!

We find ourselves sat at a skatepark - the main reason for getting! Sat lovely & comfortable! Perfect!

Kimmhu said:
Thank you again for this info. I spoke to 'superstar' Chris at vw York & he's going to get us some more trays. By good night blinds, do you mean the ones for the front windows? We did get those in a lovely bag. Have to say though we haven't tried doing the front window yet!

We find ourselves sat at a skatepark - the main reason for getting! Sat lovely & comfortable! Perfect!

Cool :0 Are you are away at the moment?

I drove out to the middle of somewhere in Essex the other day and just chilled in the van :)

We've got two bags of goodies - we have not opened them yet :) I am going to go and check what we have

James

As promised a couple of piccies - not brilliant, but I will add better ones when I take them :D

no reg.jpg back no reg.png