Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Homemade mattress topper

RedCali

RedCali

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I've been trying out a mattress topper that l made, and have slept soundly in the roof on it for the last three nights. I used two layers of 3d spacer fabric from an online chandler, one on top of the other, to give a depth of about 1". Conveniently it is sold 60cm wide, so l just made a simple bag cover out of an old sheet and that's it. It feels a tiny bit like sleeping on a string vest :shocked, but is surprisingly comfy. The spacer fabric doesn't fully compress when you lie on it and doesn't make you hot. It would be very easy to add a padded layer to the top, but l'm fine without. The spacer fabric is machine washable, although I'll just wash the cover with the rest of the bedding. It cost about £40 to make and it just rolls up like a foam mat for camping.

Hi
Any chance of posting a link for the chandler please,
Thanks

Superb stuff RedCali :thumb What a MASSIVE saving over manufactured alternatives:bananadance

So, you bought 4 strips of 60cm wide x half inch thick (x how long?) and joined them?
How did you do that?
Can you leave it in place up top?
A link to the supplier would be handy if you can get away with it, or PM me if not;)

I'm working on some other home made accessories and solutions, so watch this space...

Hi Shaun,
Think l used 'shipshape', but if you Google ' stop condensation under mattress' several firms come up. There is a good clear photo on 'baltex'. Hope this helps.

Sorry Calikev, had already posted before l saw your post.

Last edited:
Can't seem to find the same 60cm stuff you got, so would you mind sharing a PM with exact details please? Such a shame that this has to go via the underground:rolleyes:

Lateral thinking, like it :thumb

Do you have diamond markings all over you when you wake though? :D

RedCali,

Hi, I've also been looking at making my own topper. I was interested in the 3D spacer fabric as it looked the best option. There are numerous suppliers on ebay etc, but the cost was more like £80 with no joins?
I'd be grateful if you could also PM me the details of what size you used etc?

We are currently sleeping on a heavy king size duvet folded in half (on the downstairs bed) and although better than the bare seat base I wouldn't say it was comfy by any means.

Thanks

John.