Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hook up

Derry

Derry

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi All

Over the winter I garage me Westy and it comes out for the odd trip/day out with the kids and was wondering if I should leave it plugged in to the electric or not?

I normally plug it in when the leisure battery goes flat when the center display goes blank should I leave it plugged in and if its left plugged in for to long will damage the battery?

When I do plug in because of flat battery it's usually for around 3 days then un plug it and over time of it sitting it loses charge then plug back in.

Mine's plugged in most of the time it's sat on the drive. Seems quite happy.

Don't think they like being completely discharged, that will shorten their life.

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:

Don't think they like being completely discharged, that will shorten their life.

That is right. Lead Acid batteries should always be kept fully charged for a long life. Leaving them to be discharged to flat will damage them and reduce their life.

I would keep your Westy hooked up all of the time while you are not using it. The charger will adjust the charge available, according to the condition of the batteries, automatically.

Alan

AlanC said:
TwentyOneThirtyFive said:

That is right. Lead Acid batteries should always be kept fully charged for a long life. Leaving them to be discharged to flat will damage them and reduce their life.

I would keep your Westy hooked up all of the time while you are not using it. The charger will adjust the charge available, according to the condition of the batteries, automatically.

Alan

Lead acid !!! Gel surely in a camper?

Mines plugged in when its not being driven.

Pod.

Ours is kept on the drive and pluged in when not in use, I put a note on the clocks saying unplug hook up, which I then put in the door pocket, would hate to drive off with the cable trailing :doh

Driving away whilst still hooked up would be just stupid, just like driving under a steel barrier with bikes on the roof. What kind of muppet would do su……..ah, that'll be me then :crazy

S.

sidepod said:
Driving away whilst still hooked up would be just stupid, just like driving under a steel barrier with bikes on the roof. What kind of muppet would do su……..ah, that'll be me then :crazy

S.

That's why I put a note on the dash :help so I don't do it I'm 50 now don't trust myself not to do stupid things :doh

Sandyvan said:
That's why I put a note on the dash :help so I don't do it I'm 50 now don't trust myself not to do stupid things :doh

Ditto the note on the dash - after driving away with plug in when camping in wales.

Lucky no damage to van, but needed to replace the plug that goes into the van.

Apparently replacing the socket on the side of the van is a nightmare!!!

T

Here is an idea for the cali shop (are you watching Martin/Kev)

Make a round bag - the size of a steering wheel, which you can slide over the steering wheel when you are hooked up. Then when you unplug you can put your hookup wire in the bag.

If you make the opening of the bag a slit across the back of the circle it will just slide over the top half of the steering wheel.

I am sure Mr Comfortz could make that with a logo on it, or a rude message saying "Don't forget to unplug...."

I will take 10% commission :D (or maybe just a test version of the bag)

T

Sounds like a plan :thumb have you not got a loud bleeping from the control panel when you start the engine on hook up :?:

teeboy said:
Here is an idea for the cali shop (are you watching Martin/Kev)

Make a round bag - the size of a steering wheel, which you can slide over the steering wheel when you are hooked up. Then when you unplug you can put your hookup wire in the bag.

If you make the opening of the bag a slit across the back of the circle it will just slide over the top half of the steering wheel.

I am sure Mr Comfortz could make that with a logo on it, or a rude message saying "Don't forget to unplug...."

I will take 10% commission :D (or maybe just a test version of the bag)

T

As a campsite owner, that is a brilliant idea. I get fed up of people driving away and taking 1/2 a hook up bollard with them. It happens a couple of times every year. :headbang

Calikev said:
Sounds like a plan :thumb have you not got a loud bleeping from the control panel when you start the engine on hook up :?:

I have lots of loud bleepings - I was moving the van with the roof up - so I ignored the bleepings.

I am an idiot!

Hi guys...

The driving away whilst on hook up is surprisingly common... I have to admit to having done it once. No damage done as I stopped beofe it puled too tight, but a rude awakener.

My daugter made up a pin badge on an old Camerjam Bracelet... Saying "On Hook Up" which we larks head knot onto the top of the steering wheel. VERY difficult to ingore and kind of cool.

Trying to go one step further... I made a blank key with a plastic button saying the same thing that I stick in the ignition when parked on hook up. Can't put the key in without actively removing it.

Tend to use Alexandra's and not mine. Got one in all three of the vans.

Rgds

M

Back