Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hope we've done the right thing...

Benjo

Benjo

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We're a family of four with two young kids. One of our cars is about to give up on us so we've just bitten the bullet and put down a holding deposit on a nearly new Beach. We've been agonising over the decision for months given it's such a big purchase but are really excited and very much looking forwards to many family adventures to come!

Yes you have done the right thing for sure

We're a family of four with two young kids. One of our cars is about to give up on us so we've just bitten the bullet and put down a holding deposit on a nearly new Beach. We've been agonising over the decision for months given it's such a big purchase but are really excited and very much looking forwards to many family adventures to come!
No doubt about it. You have done the right thing - absolutely.

Yes you have. My 3 kids still love the family bus.

3 kids here and they love going away in it.

The only thing you’ll regret is not having done it sooner. Let the adventures begin!

Welcome!
Might be one of our best decisions so far! Happy camping!

Like everyone else has said you have made the right decision, especially for the kids they will never forget the time spent on holiday.

Not only done the right thing, but one of the best things you will have done, ever!!

I have had my California now with 2 kiddies for nearly 8 months, just amazing memories and experiences.

Only last Saturday, looked at the kids and my wife at 1pm as we were all bored in house, so said, sod it, who fancies a last minute holiday, so packed Cali by 1.30pm, booked a campsite and then we were all set up for the night and in an outdoor heated pool by 3.30pm, cooking pizzas under the Cali canopy by 5pm and all 4 of us walking on a beach by 6pm. Just Amazing! Then had breakfast in cali next to an airport watching planes and helicopters taking off/ landing whilst having warm crossiants & cappuccinos for mum and dad and hot chocolate for kiddies (all breakfast prepared using a jetboil and a ridge monkey) as we also have a beach.

The mini holiday site for 2 nights with electric hook up was only £54 :thumb and all this within an hour and twenty minutes drive away from our house. You don't even have to go far or spend a fortune to have stunning holidays!

And ask away if you need any advice on this forum when you get your Cali, they really are a very friendly and helpful bunch. What they don't know about Calis, aint worth knowing!!!
20190901_165335.jpg

20190901_171805.jpg

20190902_135031.jpg

Don't worry. I'll bet it will be one of the best decisions you'll every make.

Has it got a parking heater? The best option ever.

Hi benji, we're a family of four too and were in the same boat but replaced the boat for a beach for about 6 months ago. I think it's right to give it a lot thought, its makes it all the more special when you get it. 6 months and 8 countries later, it's not going back! :D

Not only done the right thing, but one of the best things you will have done, ever!!

I have had my California now with 2 kiddies for nearly 8 months, just amazing memories and experiences.

Only last Saturday, looked at the kids and my wife at 1pm as we were all bored in house, so said, sod it, who fancies a last minute holiday, so packed Cali by 1.30pm, booked a campsite and then we were all set up for the night and in an outdoor heated pool by 3.30pm, cooking pizzas under the Cali canopy by 5pm and all 4 of us walking on a beach by 6pm. Just Amazing! Then had breakfast in cali next to an airport watching planes and helicopters taking off/ landing whilst having warm crossiants & cappuccinos for mum and dad and hot chocolate for kiddies (all breakfast prepared using a jetboil and a ridge monkey) as we also have a beach.

The mini holiday site for 2 nights with electric hook up was only £54 :thumb and all this within an hour and twenty minutes drive away from our house. You don't even have to go far or spend a fortune to have stunning holidays!

And ask away if you need any advice on this forum when you get your Cali, they really are a very friendly and helpful bunch. What they don't know about Calis, aint worth knowing!!!
View attachment 50142

View attachment 50143

View attachment 50146
Your Cali looks really lovely good choice

You won’t regret it. Your only regret may be why you didn’t do this earlier. Happy adventuring!

The thing is Benjo, your not just buying another car, your investing in a life changing experience. Sounds far fetched but these vehicles can have that effect on your life. Yes a Beach is a very comfortable family car but it's also a mobile beach hut, a sports pavilion, an all weather picnic facility, mobile lounge, reading room, multi seater bus, removal van and a whole host of other things all in one brilliant vehicle. And yes it's also an utterly superb camper van as well with a king size bed downstairs and another double upstairs. Your kids will adore it.

It will take a little time to work out what you need to take with you and how best to stow it but that is all part of the fun.

Good luck and let us know how you all get on.

View attachment 50142

View attachment 50143

View attachment 50146

Newborough?

You and the kids will love it! No doubt about it. The Beach is perfect for a family of 4 :cheers

Look forward to seeing pics...

The thing is Benjo, your not just buying another car, your investing in a life changing experience. Sounds far fetched but these vehicles can have that effect on your life. Yes a Beach is a very comfortable family car but it's also a mobile beach hut, a sports pavilion, an all weather picnic facility, mobile lounge, reading room, multi seater bus, removal van and a whole host of other things all in one brilliant vehicle. And yes it's also an utterly superb camper van as well with a king size bed downstairs and another double upstairs. Your kids will adore it.

It will take a little time to work out what you need to take with you and how best to stow it but that is all part of the fun.

I’m playing at the Film Music Festival in Bremen this month, will spend a few days driving up in the van. Wild camping means I can practice the scores, try that in a hotel room! Afterwards, Denmark, Norway, then Baltics and Poland. Total freedom.

Hi Benjo
:welcome To the Beach club :bananadance2

You will not regret the decision, only that you didn’t do it sooner.
Start planning all those adventures, big and small
Let the adventures begin :pinkbanana:cheers

Post a piccy or two when the Cali has landed
and don’t forget to wave

We all had to take a deep breath before the plunge of ownership but as you can see from posts knowone regrets it.
I’ve owned one from end June and done over 3.000 mikes touring Scotland wales and southwold.
As @Perfectos says don’t forget to post a picture
:welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome

Thanks for your reassurance and warm welcome everyone. All being well picking it up on Friday and hoping for our first mini-adventure on Friday night.

Last edited:

And it also makes a brilliant mobile office. It powers my laptop, and mobile phone which serves as a mobile hotspot, and I have a desk and coffee as I work.

So we picked up our new van on Friday - absolutely delighted with it so far and no regrets :thumb

Must say our experience at VW Liverpool was fantastic.

We went for a Cali Beach and it seems to fit the bill perfectly. After picking it up we pretty much went straight out for an overnight test run.

A few lessons from our first experience:

The van came with the extra 2nd row swivel seats figuring they'd be really useful for carting around friends/cousins, etc. Putting the downstairs bed flat is a bit of a kerfuffle with them in so I took them out for the first trip away. They're certainly heavy and a bit of a fiddle to get out!

We managed to break the retainer on the folding table on first use :rolleyes: - completely our fault but easy to do. Thankfully have managed to find the part number on the forum so will hopefully be able to get a replacement (and spare) relatively quickly.

The parking heater is just awesome! It wasn't particularly cold outside but it was still a welcome addition - nice and toasty and fairly unobtrusive.

In summary we left home at 6:30pm, had a great night away where we felt we'd got away from it all, the kids had a good dose of fresh air and a bit of an adventure and we were home for 11:30 am the next morning. Perfect!

IMG_3026.jpeg

IMG_3020.jpeg

So we picked up our new van on Friday - absolutely delighted with it so far and no regrets :thumb

Must say our experience at VW Liverpool was fantastic.

We went for a Cali Beach and it seems to fit the bill perfectly. After picking it up we pretty much went straight out for an overnight test run.

A few lessons from our first experience:

The van came with the extra 2nd row swivel seats figuring they'd be really useful for carting around friends/cousins, etc. Putting the downstairs bed flat is a bit of a kerfuffle with them in so I took them out for the first trip away. They're certainly heavy and a bit of a fiddle to get out!

We managed to break the retainer on the folding table on first use :rolleyes: - completely our fault but easy to do. Thankfully have managed to find the part number on the forum so will hopefully be able to get a replacement (and spare) relatively quickly.

The parking heater is just awesome! It wasn't particularly cold outside but it was still a welcome addition - nice and toasty and fairly unobtrusive.

In summary we left home at 6:30pm, had a great night away where we felt we'd got away from it all, the kids had a good dose of fresh air and a bit of an adventure and we were home for 11:30 am the next morning. Perfect!

View attachment 50374

View attachment 50375

So the fun begins. Has that "have we done the right thing" feeling gone yet?

You and your family are going to have so much fun in your new van.

As for those seats, I found that a small fold away trolley was a useful thing to have when moving them around. They aren't expensive and might just save your back. We don't use our chairs that much but when we do they are superb. They come out for weddings, airport transfers, family party's etc etc and we wouldn't be without them.

Back