Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Horrible ‘Graunching’ noise when opening sliding door

C

Calisand

Guest User
Any advice please?

When opening sliding door mechanism on my 18 month old T6 Ocean (not electric sliding door version) there is a horrible graunching noise as the door begins to open but then it slides easily and closes again without a problem. It happens right at start of process as soon as door mechanism is released and I start to move door.

Noticed it for the first time yesterday when away on a very wet weekend in Norfolk and noise has persisted whenever opening door since.

Not being terribly mechanically minded my usual solution would be to spray WD40 on all moving parts but I’m loathe to do this for fear of making things worse. Also not keen to take to dealer unless absolutely necessary.

Any advice on what this might be and how to cure would be appreciated.

I'd use silicone spray or PTFE spray rather than WD as they are dry lubricants so don't attract/hold dirt.
My powers door mechanism regularly gets a dose of spray which does seem to work.

18months only so your dealer should look at this if it's a mecanical issue .
Mine had dust and stones in the rails afther a few years i cleaned it and sprayed wd40 .

It's not the power latch you hear?

Does it sound like this? Ours has this problem intermittently but the dealer can’t replicate it.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

Does it sound like this? Ours has this problem intermittently but the dealer can’t replicate it.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

Hi Erbsster, yes that’s exactly the same noise. Curiously like yours the noise is intermittent and it happened a lot whilst we were away ( it was very wet).

Once home I cleaned all the rails of dust/grit and haven’t replicated it in the half dozen openings since but it sounds like my problem may not be solved.

Have you tried the silicone spray as suggested by others? I haven’t yet but if/when noise reappears I will try that.

The noise as in the vid by @Erbster is defenatly a mechanical failure and should be solved by dealer under warrenty .

Any advice please?

When opening sliding door mechanism on my 18 month old T6 Ocean (not electric sliding door version) there is a horrible graunching noise as the door begins to open but then it slides easily and closes again without a problem. It happens right at start of process as soon as door mechanism is released and I start to move door.

Noticed it for the first time yesterday when away on a very wet weekend in Norfolk and noise has persisted whenever opening door since.

Not being terribly mechanically minded my usual solution would be to spray WD40 on all moving parts but I’m loathe to do this for fear of making things worse. Also not keen to take to dealer unless absolutely necessary.

Common problem, just needs a bit of lube on the cam. This thread shows where.
I use white grease spray. There are a couple of other rotating parts which pull the door in which also benefit from regular lube.

Any advice please?

Graunching noise that stops abruptly when you open the door indicates someone inside getting up to mischief...

Back