Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hot water system

David Marsh

David Marsh

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
My question is what about hot water? I don’t pick my ‘New to me’ Cali up until next Friday and having been used to hot water on tap got me thinking.
Is there a way of having a system fitted?
I’m sure the motorhome I have at present, an Autosleeper Sandhurst, has a system that works off either the gas or the electric when on a mains hook up and even when the diesel heater is in use.
Or do I just have to boil the water on the hob?
HELP.

The vehicle is crammed enough and I think hot water, if required, is best provided by boiling a kettle as suggested by previous contributors.

Next you’ll want central heating, lights and windows.
Nah, just the one home comfort will do for me. At my age it’s the on tap hot water that gets me started on a morning!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A pal bought a Cali that had an electric hot shower plumbed in the rear wardrobe.

Easy to do. Standard electric shower unit from B and Q hooked up to the fresh water tank. It would obvs only work on hook up.

There are a few 'on-demand' style gas hot water heaters, portable and are generally for showers.

Like this: https://www.wowcamping.co.uk/produc...CZRKA7eexQSQHJmVdj_VvGqraHTuA0rhoCv-sQAvD_BwE

This is a 12v one and needs a gas supply. You could plumb this in somewhere in the Cali i suppose but it would take quite a bit of space. Not seen one in person.

We haven't really missed the hot water. It's only when not on a campsite it's a bit annoying but we just tend to boil a bit more water for our tea than we need, then use the cooler water to wash up after.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
There are a few 'on-demand' style gas hot water heaters, portable and are generally for showers.

Like this: https://www.wowcamping.co.uk/produc...CZRKA7eexQSQHJmVdj_VvGqraHTuA0rhoCv-sQAvD_BwE

This is a 12v one and needs a gas supply. You could plumb this in somewhere in the Cali i suppose but it would take quite a bit of space. Not seen one in person.

We haven't really missed the hot water. It's only when not on a campsite it's a bit annoying but we just tend to boil a bit more water for our tea than we need, then use the cooler water to wash up after.
You could fit a small calorifier under the sink, marine suppliers have them down to 12 ltr but a big faff to connect and with a main tank of only 30 ltr slightly hairy.

We use an ADDIS Thermopot, runs off the mains, available in 3.5 or 5 litre versions for about £70, no additional plumbing or wiring needed and it provides hot water instantly 'on tap'.

Reactions: TAl
A pal bought a Cali that had an electric hot shower plumbed in the rear wardrobe.

Easy to do. Standard electric shower unit from B and Q hooked up to the fresh water tank. It would obvs only work on hook up.
That’s a bit drastic, but I guess could be manageable.

That looks very good indeed, like you say though it would compromise space.

You could fit a small calorifier under the sink, marine suppliers have them down to 12 ltr but a big faff to connect and with a main tank of only 30 ltr slightly hairy.
Thanks, just like the one in another post. Looks more and more like an extra large kettle going on the shopping list.

The vehicle is crammed enough and I think hot water, if required, is best provided by boiling a kettle as suggested by previous contributors.
It is looking that way. So long as we can get into the simple straight forward ways, as was the way back in the day, we will be just fine. Fingers crossed.

Next you’ll want central heating, lights and windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been there, lovely as it was things just got out of hand. Back to simplicity is the way it looks like we’re heading. She who must be obeyed will love it!!!

We use an ADDIS Thermopot, runs off the mains, available in 3.5 or 5 litre versions for about £70, no additional plumbing or wiring needed and it provides hot water instantly 'on tap'.
Many thanks for that Richard, I’m pretty sure we already have one of the small ones tucked away in the deepest darkest area of my man cave. From memory it did take up a bit of worktop space. I’ll have a look round and see if I can find it.

Hi David, I'm not far from you and work near Garstang. Happy to help if you get stuck with anything Cali related although you have a lot of camper experience. :thumb

I seem to remember having read once about a project where someone made their own heat exchanger by winding a length of copper water pipe around the exhaust, and thus feed an under-floor hot water container. A boiler system that heated the water while underway: great!

Back