How come you own one?

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I asked myself a few questions recently to understand how on earth I ended up with a California Ocean…

What do I need to commute?
Cycling the 22 miles each way daily in all seasons is a bit much to ask for most people I’d guess including me. But not wishing to be on a motorbike either maybe a BMW I3 would be ideal.

How often do I take a break camping or renting a cottage etc?
Pretty much once a year to a destination we’ve flown to and I find insulation far too satisfying to holiday in tents. I love the idea of camping but don’t much like the practicality.

How much am I comfortable with spending on my transport?
A fair bit less than a brand new California ocean costs.

So far then, what the blazers am I doing owning one?

A whole load of bits an pieces have pulled me in I suppose.
I am always drawn to things with a cult status for a start. Don’t get me wrong they don’t burn so hard that I adopt them all but I love to see a scooter craze, I love to see a Harley ride out and yes the many genres of VW in mass at club meets. But that alone would not make me fork out a fortune to own a Camper van.

The older I get the more I realise that I haven’t appreciated the sights around the British Isles or European destination anywhere near enough and I’m pretty rubbish at planning too far ahead so a touch of last minute possibility coming to fruition is an inspiration.

My Daughter is 11 years old and I also figure that the more getaways we can have together before she decides to do things her way the better and genuinely, having a vehicle with the ability to get away parked on the drive means we will take the opportunity far more often.

Although I love a bit of luxury like space, the California is luxury. But it’s luxury as far as the idea of camping goes with it’s fridge, hob, heater, beds, blinds, lights, chairs and tables and all the fact that goes where ever we do makes it 5 star luxury….and there are 2 adults, 1 child and a smallish Cockerpoo so not too bad on space.
On that note, regardless of a BMW I3 being a good fit I can still commute in this with no issues, I can park in plenty of places where I could in a car and its running costs don't worry me either.

On top of that lot ,we added a dog to the family about 18 months ago and it became clear pretty quickly that jetting off abroad was going to be stressful for him and then in turn us as a family by leaving him behind. But hang on…what about those european destinations I ‘d like to explore? well he can come too! That holidays sorted including visists to family far a field.
Suddenly the usage we are planning to get out of this slice of luxury offsets the cost to a degree that makes it a far more comfortable purchase.
I’d hate to tow anything and pitch it in one place and pretty much everything about the california's size on the move rules it in and a motorhome out.
I know a fair few people with some cacophony of van and I never heard any real grumbles about the weather and space spoiling the trip they just had and nobody I know that bought one ever got bored or found the idea being better than the reality.
On top of all this it seemed a long time since I was this interested in an idea. But over the last 3 years it’s something that wouldn’t go away. I never pushed the idea but it just kept finding a way back into the forefront of my mind. The versatility of the van for my running and cycling hobbies etc while out and about. Seeing hoards of them in places where I wanted to be but didn’t want to stop to try to find somewhere to eat or grab a cuppa kept bringing back the idea.
So we hired one just to get the idea out of my head. proving that this vehicle would not take my gear, would not offer enough space and would be no better than camping.
The hired T6 was an instant hit before we even slept in it which turned out to be just as successful.
So when we got home and looked at the figures, I felt we couldn’t lose even if I woke up one day without the passion for all I have just mentioned.
Roughly 4 months in with only 1 spring day in all that time and day trips, commutes and a long week end away have all been brilliant. It is a pleasure and for me it is a luxury.
No looking back.

Last edited:
Great post. Agree with pretty much all of it.

Not too dissimilar story for us. My inspiration came from a rusty old T2 my Dad bought when i was a kid. Worked on it and worked on it but it never left the parking spot. Still gave me many happy evenings and weekends playing in it and dreaming. Always had the desire since but did lots of long haul travel in my 20s. When our daughter arrived a few years ago I knew owning a camper van would be a great way to have the kind of family experiences that are so valuable and I felt very fortunate that the Cali was an option for us.

We've had so many incredible trips in 18months of ownership (just back from the Isle of Wight this weekend) and it has really shaped our outlook as a family. My dad loved it too. And on top of that it's a bloody nice vehicle to commute to work in and safe to drive about in too.

Dad died unexpectedly last month at 57. No age at all, and it has totally reaffirmed everything I've always felt about making the most of the time you have and it's pretty amazing how a vehicle can help you to achieve that. Now I just need to find a way of working part time as soon as possible so we can do even more.

Great Post @2020 freedom and sorry to hear about your dad @Lewis. I hope you can manage your plans working part time.
I love my van/Cali and a dream came true when I realised I could manage to buy one - used but my first own one. Love it since then and never wanted to change back.

Thanks for that, I enjoyed reading your musings! :thumb

Simple back in 2012 - We decided we wanted a campervan for a daily drive as we retied and a California was the one we liked the most.
Can not think what it would be like without a camper

With a Bedu Grandmother and an Irish traveller Grandfather in my genes I was never going to be static.

Childhood incarceration by authorities for refusing to stay in one place, early adult years travelling and climbing in some of the remote regions of the planet, After tents, caravans, motorhomes,after earning a living as a travel guidebook writer, after a doctorate earned by researching particular human migration patterns, a California is a natural progression for one of the itchiest pairs of feet on the planet.:shocked

It is basically my retirement home on wheels, the hardest thing being remembering where I left the keys! :shocked

What keys?

Oh no. He didn´t tarmac her drive did he.

Thankfully, tinker grandaddy was from paternal side and bedouin granny was from maternal side, and the families were 300 miles apart or all hell would have broken loose :shocked

Roughly 4 months in with only 1 spring day in all that time and day trips, commutes and a long week end away have all been brilliant. It is a pleasure and for me it is a luxury.
No looking back.
Crikey, I starting reading your post and was beginning to wonder if that wet weekend had made you fall out of love with Kylie - but I hung on in there and knew it would turn out good - well done @2020 freedom you know it makes sense.

Didn't someone once say nothing exciting or memorable happens sitting on the sofa, or in front of your computer? Get out there!

We did the try before you buy thing for a couple of years and that really worked out perfectly, then coinciding with retirement it has been the obvious choice.

Funnily enough though it seems as though this camper van lark is in the blood - Mrs @Pete_Hampton has only very recently found this in her family album...
1957 Rolvenden Morris Camper Van 1.jpg
Her Mum, Dad, Brother, Auntie, Uncle, and two Cousins all bundled in for a trip to Camber Sands.

A superb 1957 Morris J Type - in a very trendy two-tone of course! Note the sliding side door too.

So there you go - it is all meant to be.

Why? Probably because I can finally get what I want rather than what I need I guess. Do I really need a California? Not really but after selling my old one a couple of years back I really wanted another one.
It has its downsides when compared to a car (supermarket car parks, less nimble, twice as much fuel used for a similar car trip for instance...) but there is just something wonderful about travelling in it.
Properly hooked...
Farl

Crikey, I starting reading your post and was beginning to wonder if that wet weekend had made you fall out of love with Kylie - but I hung on in there and knew it would turn out good - well done @2020 freedom you know it makes sense.

Didn't someone once say nothing exciting or memorable happens sitting on the sofa, or in front of your computer? Get out there!

We did the try before you buy thing for a couple of years and that really worked out perfectly, then coinciding with retirement it has been the obvious choice.

Funnily enough though it seems as though this camper van lark is in the blood - Mrs @Pete_Hampton has only very recently found this in her family album...
View attachment 32117
Her Mum, Dad, Brother, Auntie, Uncle, and two Cousins all bundled in for a trip to Camber Sands.

A superb 1957 Morris J Type - in a very trendy two-tone of course! Note the sliding side door too.

So there you go - it is all meant to be.
The GPO (telephones engineers department) had those Morris J vans as mobile survey vehicles. My dad was an area planner and often came home to lunch in one. He always smelt of pencils. As a young child I called them Cong cong vans due to the noise they made.
I also have a vivid memory of a trip to Camber Sands in the late fifties with our neighbours in a converted ex GPO Morris Z van that my dad owned. There was eight of us, including four children inside. The tyres were shot so we had several punctures enroute. I remember us four kids being told to go and gather grass from a field to stuff the tyres with. I think the adults just wanted us out of the way whilst they mended the puncture....again. However as children we fell for it and actually thought that a tyre stuffed with grass was a recognised method of emergency puncture repair.

Great post and this lovely spring weekend in Sweden sums up why we are on our 2nd Cali, it acts as a great day van, wonderful vehicle for my racing and taking the family out for a nice day out (buggy in the boot along with all kinds of bike kit).

Doesn't mean we don't take normal holidays or eat out at cafes instead of the van, it's just a wonderful lifestyle compliment.

upload_2018-4-16_12-27-19.png

@Borris brilliant story...love the idea of all that grass gathering in good faith. Now I suspect the cyclists among us may have memories of bike tyre grass stuffing too!
Didn't the J Type also get used by the Post Office as delivery vans,? Using the internal engine cover (in the position of the passenger seat) as a support for trays of sorted letters.

As for your
converted ex GPO Morris Z van
Is this it?
1273802-1945-morris-z-type-post-office-van.jpeg

@Borris brilliant story...love the idea of all that grass gathering in good faith. Now I suspect the cyclists among us may have memories of bike tyre grass stuffing too!
Didn't the J Type also get used by the Post Office as delivery vans,? Using the internal engine cover (in the position of the passenger seat) as a support for trays of sorted letters.

As for your

Is this it?
1273802-1945-morris-z-type-post-office-van.jpeg
Yes, but in GPO dark green with windows cut in the rear side panels. They were indistructable according to my father. The early ones had rubber front wings!

We owned a small (boring) semi-detached house, in a pretty boring commuter town 25miles South of Belfast. We also had an escape holiday apartment on the North Coast.

We decided to sell both, to afford a City Centre apartment, but knew we'd miss our weekends on the coast etc. We had become a bit tired of the same place most weekends, so the holiday apartment would've probably been sold anyway in a bid of greater flexibility.

We then started Airbnb'ing our City Centre apartment during the weekends, when we were out-and-about.... And had started spending most of our Airbnb gains staying in other Airbnbs, a sort of home-exchange scenario, in a round-and-about kind of way.

We had some restrictions. Only one car-park space in the City Centre, which was underground with a 2.1m height restriction.... It had therefore to be our daily driver, our only car and be able to fit in the car-park space.... The Cali decision all happened so fast, within a couple of weeks, as it appeared all the stars-had-aligned with the California, and that has proved to be true.

We ordered August 2016, took delivery January 2017 - 112x nights sleeping in the Hotel California so far. We've paid the remaining loan (had a £25k deposit from selling both previous cars, 2-into-1) much quicker than expected with Airbnb revenues and reducing our Holiday/weekend expenditure.....

We have both also this year, been able to reduce our working hours to part-time. The work/life balance correction that the Cali has afforded us, has been such a breakthrough, and we can only wonder how it happened, and how lucky we've been to stumble across this superb vehicle. We enjoy an exciting city-centre lifestyle midweek, and weekends in the great outdoors - A perfect combo for us.

On another note..... And as I've enjoyed looking at the photos above. Here's a pic of my Dad's 1946 OL Bedford. It's his pride & joy for sure.

IMG_9913.jpg
IMG_5621.jpg

We have only had our California for a year but it’s been a year filled with smiles wonder and delight from our two little monkeys.

We don’t use it for everything but it’s a sage reminder that in today’s fast paced world timeless enjoyment can still be found from fresh air and simple activities savoured as a family.

I really think they’ll grow up with wonderful memories of the paw patroller and for that I smile everytime we get inside.

All the best

1574AFE3-4967-4026-A53C-8D9F9E59AF16.jpeg

7DEA0A1B-6EC1-4795-BCFC-50339EFD7177.jpeg

908A2A25-D3F7-46CA-95AE-5BF095A072CB.jpeg

2C4F0EA5-7554-4FE1-ADEE-6D74E44525C2.jpeg

We owned a small (boring) semi-detached house, in a pretty boring commuter town 25miles South of Belfast. We also had an escape holiday apartment on the North Coast.

We decided to sell both, to afford a City Centre apartment, but knew we'd miss our weekends on the coast etc. We had become a bit tired of the same place most weekends, so the holiday apartment would've probably been sold anyway in a bid of greater flexibility.

We then started Airbnb'ing our City Centre apartment during the weekends, when we were out-and-about.... And had started spending most of our Airbnb gains staying in other Airbnbs, a sort of home-exchange scenario, in a round-and-about kind of way.

We had some restrictions. Only one car-park space in the City Centre, which was underground with a 2.1m height restriction.... It had therefore to be our daily driver, our only car and be able to fit in the car-park space.... The Cali decision all happened so fast, within a couple of weeks, as it appeared all the stars-had-aligned with the California, and that has proved to be true.

We ordered August 2016, took delivery January 2017 - 112x nights sleeping in the Hotel California so far. We've paid the remaining loan (had a £25k deposit from selling both previous cars, 2-into-1) much quicker than expected with Airbnb revenues and reducing our Holiday/weekend expenditure.....

We have both also this year, been able to reduce our working hours to part-time. The work/life balance correction that the Cali has afforded us, has been such a breakthrough, and we can only wonder how it happened, and how lucky we've been to stumble across this superb vehicle. We enjoy an exciting city-centre lifestyle midweek, and weekends in the great outdoors - A perfect combo for us.

On another note..... And as I've enjoyed looking at the photos above. Here's a pic of my Dad's 1946 OL Bedford. It's his pride & joy for sure.

View attachment 32129
View attachment 32128
That a lovely story. I'm glad that it's all worked out well for you. You can't go wrong with a Beach or with an SE/Ocean for that matter.

Your Dad's Bedford truck looks stunning. Does it get much use? Actually, I have a retired gynecologist friend who has for some time harbored a yearning to own a similar Bedford OB Coach. He once joked, "I want to take leaky old ladies for afternoon drives in the country and I'm going to have it signwritten Incontinental Tours".

Yes, but in GPO dark green with windows cut in the rear side panels. They were indistructable according to my father. The early ones had rubber front wings!
image.jpeg
I remember the GPO J van that my Dad drove was just like the one in the photo below. It had windows, a plans table and extra seats in the back so would have been an ideal base vehicle for an early camper van conversion.
image.jpeg

That ladder looks like it would fit between the Cali seats to get to the roof bed!

I guess that would have been used to get to the rungs on the telegraph poles.

In the mid 80’s number 5 sprog came along. Up until then cars had got bigger, mostly estates ending up with LandRover 110s, an Estate and ultimately a Safari Estate. So 7 for holidays. We purchased a 7 berth 26’ Caravan but needed a tow car that would carry 7 with boot space.
And that’s where this came in as the family car. Loved by everyone. Top speed 80 mph but could it pull.
82C58B7A-B747-4C06-BA02-0AF0940D9CB0.jpeg

Ours was bright red. We travelled all over Europe with the red bus and our caravan.
As the kids grew up and went to Uni and left home I indulged myself, Alfa Romeo, Mitsubishi V6 Sport, RX8 and a new Defender Puma.
Come retirement we didn’t want to tow anymore with all the restrictions that brings and decided on the ultimate vehicle.
Car length, carry 4, go anywhere we wished to drive, keep up with the cars not the HGVs, carry stuff when needed, sleep in if needed, a day van.I could go on and on.
I still hankered after something like the Bedford.
Looked at lots of conversions and basically for virtually the same cost as a New California you could a poverty spec new van base, grey carpet and ply or mfd furniture, fibreglass pop top and fixed bed. None of it tested, a severely compromised warranty for the vehicle and 12 months on the conversion.
Don’t get me wrong there are some good conversions but none of them ticked all the boxes.
So The Van, I don’t name my vehicles, arrived exactly 12 hrs after I retired from the NHS. 65,000 miles later it is the best all-round vehicle by far. It will be replaced by another at some point in the future.

The Van at Nordkapp

0400E1A0-A726-4A3B-B799-2C0BC25968BE.jpeg

That ladder looks like it would fit between the Cali seats to get to the roof bed!

I guess that would have been used to get to the rungs on the telegraph poles.
Or scrumping?

Last edited:
Back