Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do people who own the Grand California 600 clean the roof?

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
How are owners of the Grand California 600 cleaning the roof? If anyone has any safe ideas or innovative ways of getting up there to give the roof a clean please can you share? 3 meters is fairly high!! The simple answer might be we don’t, however, to keep the van in good condition and looking it’s best I would hope there is an easy way??

I had a long wheel base VW T5 Celex until 2020, and looked at the Gran California, before importing a Ducato based La Strada Avanti EB. It is almost exactly 3 metres high with a flat roof, I bought a large but reasonably light Werner step ladder with a safe working height of 3.15m. plus an extended cleaning mop. I take it slowly and steadily on flat ground and when the weather is right, dull and windless. I don't know about the GC roof, but the Ducato is metal (where you can get at it amongst the solar and Heiki's) and once clean if you get some polish on it, it's easy to clean subsequently. I did it yesterday. You need to be good with heights, with good balance, and reasonably fit. If you are not then pay someone's else to do it.

I had a long wheel base VW T5 Celex until 2020, and looked at the Gran California, before importing a Ducato based La Strada Avanti EB. It is almost exactly 3 metres high with a flat roof, I bought a large but reasonably light Werner step ladder with a safe working height of 3.15m. plus an extended cleaning mop. I take it slowly and steadily on flat ground and when the weather is right, dull and windless. I don't know about the GC roof, but the Ducato is metal (where you can get at it amongst the solar and Heiki's) and once clean if you get some polish on it, it's easy to clean subsequently. I did it yesterday. You need to be good with heights, with good balance, and reasonably fit. If you are not then pay someone's else to do it.
Thank you it looks like getting a good pair of high steps and taking your time is the answer!

We had a 3.2 metre great white and always used a telescopic ladder to clean the roof. I now use it to clean the roof of my Ocean, I can't quite reach the middle.

How are owners of the Grand California 600 cleaning the roof? If anyone has any safe ideas or innovative ways of getting up there to give the roof a clean please can you share? 3 meters is fairly high!! The simple answer might be we don’t, however, to keep the van in good condition and looking it’s best I would hope there is an easy way??
I also have a Werner step ladder which is great but really would prefer a platform to work from, also feel a platform would be easy to store unlike the steps. If you find a platform please share.

Will

For a quick clean pop head arms through open skylight in my joker, climb up back on bike rack too.
For a proper clean wrap towels round top of ladder (4way type are great) and lean against van.
Always clean van in small sections, roof wash and rinse, then one side wash and rinse, and so on.
My joker is a little smaller but not much, I would May sure you clean roof now and then. I also use a bit of spray wax on roof to help easy the dead bugs.

Hvordan rengjør eierne av Grand California 600 taket? Hvis noen har noen trygge ideer eller innovative måter å komme seg opp dit for å gi taket en ren, kan du dele? 3 meter er ganske høy!! Det enkle svaret kan være at vi ikke holder varebilen i god stand og ser det best jeg håper det er en enkel måte??
My problem is snow. One can lose the driver's license with snow and ice on the roof.

When I had a Motorhome the only safe way was to use a scaffold tower.
I was lucky in that I could borrow one, actually 2 with planks across to polish the roof. Can't be too safe at that height plus roof damage potential to consider.

Marketplace or other second hand sources worth looking for one.

For a stable multi purpose ladder I found these give great secure feeling at any height with no wobbling at all. Quite heavy.

I use a special brush on an extension pole that you can attach to a hose, so water flows out of the brush. The brush is soft, so it won't scratch and it washes well. This one is from Denmark.
The manufacturer recommends this brush also for cleaning solar panels, as dust layer can significantly reduce efficiency.
brush: https://gfunder.dk/rengoring/bil/multiflow-26-5x8-8-soft.html
pole (available in different lengths): https://gfunder.dk/koste/skafte-vandgennemlob.html

Google translate from the page: "Brush that is super good for solar cells, but can also be used as a car brush etc .. Soft brush that does not scratch, with a hollow head that distributes the water through all soft brush tufts. Self-cleaning polyester brushes. Multiflow brush measuring 26.5 x 8 cm. Fits shaft with water passage."

Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 7.28.38 PM.png

Krause basic package. Small, light and affordable.

586141_4009199305619_.jpg

586141_4009199305619_.jpg

1. Telescopic larder (but any long ladder works)
2. Towel pinned over top so can lean it against the side of GC600 roof &/or awning without scratching anything
3. Cheap pole & cleaning pad combo from Amazon and hot soapy water
4. Also jet washer helps
5. Go at it from both sides
This is my approach and has been stable and safe so far.

Ladder with slit pool noodle clipped over each side of the top of the vertical rail rails so you can lean it against the van. Easy then to reach the entire roof by leaning over with ‘sponge on a stick’ car cleaning mop without risk of falling

Because in my area it is forbidden to wash the car at home, I use a car wash equipped with a walkway 2 levels)
A karcher blow (reduced jet) and not too close (possibility of making an entry of water via the skylight of the toilet or the dome of the high ventilation) to remove dirt, leaves or moss
A good wash (with suitable product) with a telescopic wash broom and a final cleaning with a Karcher or a water jet
There are also truck wash stations, but I haven't tried...

lavage-hauteur-utilitaires-cover 2.jpg

slide1.jpg

lavage-hauteur-utilitaires-cover.jpg

My problem is snow. One can lose the driver's license with snow and ice on the roof.
Personally, to remove snow from the roof, I use:
- An aluminium telescopic ladder (height 3.20 meters) with polyethylene foam protection (Profile U)
- Telescopic wash broom to remove snow from roof

Ladder.jpg

profiles_en_u.jpg

Broom.jpg

Back