Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do you find the manual poptop? (Beach and 'Coast', in Europe)

PeterE

PeterE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
The Ocean has the electric poptop as standard. The Beach has manual as standard. In Belgium, and I presume elsewhere in Europe, there is also a 'Coast'. Its very much like the Ocean, but generally lower spec, including that the poptop is manual as standard. I currently have a T25/T3 1989 poptop (manual poptop of course), and never found it difficult to open or close (the hardest part being to make sure you don't pinch the tent cloth).
However, I find closing the manual poptop on the T6 California very difficult. You have to pull down on the bar with all your weight to have a chance of it reaching the clips. This turns what could be a straight forward task (as on the T25/T3) to a big struggle!
Am I doing something wrong? Is there a knack to it. (I did this in the showroom and the expert salesman admitted its difficult and had no 'knack' to offer.)
This on its own would be reason enough to not buy a manual poptop - which seems ridiculous given its not an issue on the 1989 model!

Although the manual top can be a bit more labour intensive to close, I preferred that option to the aded complexity (and costs) of a computer controlled electric over hydraulic system to do what takes not 5 seconds on my T3. Such an effort you describe seems a lot, did you try more than one roof with the same results? It doesn't stand out in my mind when I was testing prior to order, maybe I'm in for a surprise when my new bus gets delivered this week? The old westy poptops were a nice (some would argue better) design.

Welcome to the forum by the way :thumb

I would agree the poptop is far easier on my 1985 VW camper than this one but I still prefer manual to the complex electric version. I find I can pretty quickly drop it down these days without much issue .

I don't have to pull down very hard, if anything I slow its descent to ensure its in the right place. As long as the fabric is out of the way it should fall into the right place.

I do find that sometimes it doesnt slot into place easily but that usually mean its not entirely straight. A little sideways wiggle usually lets it drop into place. It shouldnt need pulling hard into place from my experience..

I'd film it but I imagine it would be quite hard to film.

I have a T6 Beach, I can't compare it to previous T25 or T3/T4/T5 but can say mine has gotten easier over-time. In the early days stiff to close the clasp/locks, but now quite easy. The tightness, was due to the rubber roof edge strip, rubbing against the front awning-housing bracket. There's a bit of a knack, to get the awning side seated first I think. Or, if you don't have an awning, this shouldn't be an issue.

If its too hard push it back up and start again as something maybe caught or out of line. Mine was very hard first time but I know take it very slowly and it shuts relatively easily.

I also much prefer the manual roof on our Beach to the electro hydraulic version. However, as others have said it does require a small degree of strength to close so if you don't have that then it's not for you. It's certainly much more simple in construction and much less likely to go wrong down the line and that I like a lot.

When closing the roof you have to stand up to reach the strap hanging from the transverse roof closing bar and pull down. It does take a little effort to overcome the upward pressure of the gas struts but once moving it closes easily to an almost closed position. As it comes down to this position you can actually pull the canvas in on either side. This is easy, especially if you have a canvas elastic band fitted. In my experience the canvas seems to fold in much easier on the manual version even with a Brandrup Isotop fitted. Once in this almost closed position you have to pull down the transverse roof bar until its almost closed then push the canvas (and inner liner if fitted) outwards beyond the overlock catches before attempting to fasten them. You have to ensure that both canvas and liner are not fouling the overlock catch otherwise you'll punch two neat little holes through them both when the catch is snapped shut. You can fasten one side at a time by pulling down on the roof bar and engaging the overlock catch before snapping it closed. The catches can be quite hard to close so if you haven't got the strength in your hands or suffer from arthritis then the you'll need/prefer the electro hydraulic version. Once both sides are fastened, clip on the security straps. Then tidy the canvas and liner if fitted and close the roof hatch blind. In my experience that can be a little fiddly as the security straps can sometimes foul the roof hatch blind when you are trying to slide it closed. Some furniture polish or silicon on the runners could help easier closure but might also make it rattle open when it shouldn't when driving so I haven't bothered. So sometimes it's necessary to give the security strap buckles a poke to ensure the hatch closes without problem.

IMO the manual version is a much more practical solution that will stand the test of time better. They don't suffer from sagging on one side in the same way that the electro hydraulic version sometimes does. They won't conk out in the up position which has also been reported by some owners on occasions and therefore there won't be any need to start dismantling the control panel to access the hydraulic valve to let it down. Also the manual version doesn't have an electronic control panel for raising the roof, has no hydraulic pump, pipes, electric motor or wiring to go west either. These components have all featured as having become faulty by owners on various threads in the past. So in essence, it is much less compilcated and that has to be a good thing for long term ownership.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. As with most things, you will always get used to it. If it was as easy as my T3, I would prefer a manual. The arguments of less electronics and less to go wrong are strong.
I think its a bit of a lazy design flaw - disappointing given how much attention they pay to detail generally. All it needs is some kind of leverage mechanism to make it easier - which is what in effect, the T3 has.
I suspect a handy engineer/inventor could create a retrofit lever, to sell as an option.

I don't think anyone has mentioned to close the roof with the windows open....this may help with your issue

Yes windows in canvas unzipped a bit & at least one door or the slider open! The only time I had any resistance closing was when I trapped the canvas & kinked the roof :(

I don't think anyone has mentioned to close the roof with the windows open....this may help with your issue
Good tip, which had never occurred to me with my T3. But not the issue in this case, as was in showroom with side door open.

I now have the T6 canvas on my T5.1
I have found the T6 is perhaps marginally thicker and does make closing the roof a bit harder.

If I’m honest, I think the old canvas felt and looks better than the current T6, however people say the new canvas is more water resistant...?

Overall, my preference is manual.
I prefer mechanicals to be as simple as possible

you can adjust the clasps if they are tight. undo the 2 screws holding the clasps. I think they are torx head but I forget now. they have elongated slots so you can alter them slightly to give a less hard pull. as time and newness wears off you can re adjust them. it doesn't take long. I found this out when my roof annoyed me by looking like 1 side was down tighter than the other.

Our was a little stiff and squeaked as it was pulled down after being up a few days for the first few times but soon loosened up and drops quite easily now,the bed also squeaked as it was dropped down. I just pull on the bar.
I did wander if it was related to the weather but no squeaking at all now.

Side door open , front windows open - no problem

Side door open , front windows open - no problem
And the 6 interior integral tensioning straps are doing a very good job pulling in the new thicker bellows fabric. There is a little more resistance at the very end of the travel and then its necessary to apply a little bodyweight to get the straps attached. I have only raised the poptop 3x so hopefully it will loosen up with time.

Back