Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do you price a California Ocean

G

GJO

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Good Morning,

How do you value a California Ocean?
Newbie here and I'm considering a high spec 2016 model with 9k miles, 4motion, dsg with a decent list of extras (insulated glass, nav, towbar, spoiler, cruise etc. but it's £53250!
Versus, I can get a new 150 dsg ocean with a similar spec although only 2wd.....for £62500

Any advice or thoughts on which is the better van to go for?

Thanks
Gareth

I would definitely only buy something in the £45000 plus bracket with at least 12 months left on manufacturers warranty be that the standard 3 years or the previous owner extended it to 5.

Good Morning,

Newbie here and I'm considering a high spec 2016 model with 9k miles, 4motion, dsg with a decent list of extras (insulated glass, nav, towbar, spoiler, cruise etc. but it's £53250!
Versus, I can get a new 150 dsg ocean with a similar spec although only 2wd.....for £62500

Thanks
Gareth

Is it a Blackberry colour by any chance ?

Hi found myself in the same dilemma.
Went for the very high spec 2016 204 DSG a few month ago. Private sale. with 17000K on on the clock, came with VW bike rack, Vango side tent, rear shower curtain, WV roof rails etc. Paid £47000
I'd let someone else take the initial hit. The only draw back is after 3 years u r looking at a DSG oil change plus a service and next year its a water pump/timing belt replacement.
U don't necessary need a 4Motion , all terrain tyres should do the due, in saying that the 204 hp can spin the front tyres easy
Regards
Sean

Reactions: GJO
That is a very good question.

Firstly, do you actually need 4 motion?

Secondly, a 2016 plate vehicle with only 9000 miles isn't necessarily a good thing. These are complicated vehicles that need regular use to keep them in tip top condition. If you do go for that one find out how it's been looked after mechanically, i.e service history and has it had regular DPF regeneration runs at high revs. If it's all been local mileage it could be clogged up!

You could go for a new one in which case hold out for max discount which as far as I've been able to establish, is around the 12% mark at the moment. It's a buyers market at present so you are holding all the cards. It's the end of the season for camper van buying, there's a new model due out soon, sales of Californias are down and Brexit is looming so if you decide to go for new, drive a hard bargain.

There is a third option and that is to look for a pre registered or dealer ex-demo Ocean. Try the VW Commercial web site - used vehicles. There's no shortage of them on there. Also phone round the dealers as not all vehicles are mentioned on that site. Some dealers also advertise their Calis on Ebay. Because they are pre registered they are often as new but in reality they are classed as second hand. The advantage of this is that being second hand the dealer has already had to pay the whopping first years VED. You'll still have to pay the basic £145 and then the over £40k list price premium of £345 on top to tax it though. If you buy it the dealer will get the balance of the first years tax back so don't listen to their stories of having to cover that cost. Buying an ex- demo or pre registered Cali should also give you extra ammunition in the search for extra discount. It's used so you should be paying less than for the same vehicle un-registered. I'd be looking for an extra 2% off list at least. You'll still be eligible to purchase all the same benefits, Factory Extended Warranty and cheap Service Package, providing the van is less than three months old. In addition, VW not the dealers, are currently offering £1200 incl VAT, of VW accessories with every used California. So that should be on top of what ever deal you manage to negotiate.

As to your question, "How do you price a California Ocean", that of course refers to buying second hand. Any estimates of worth from the likes of Webuyanycar.com, Glasses guide, HPI, or dealers are all going to be way off the mark so don't even go there. Instead do a survey of as many Oceans of a similar year, mileage and spec as you can find, noting their condition and price. That should give you a rough idea of what people are asking but not what these same owners are actually selling for. I suspect that in some cases the two figures are wildly different. Some are asking what look to me like reasonable prices whilst others are just chancing their arms. Of course none of that matters because what really counts in the end, when you find the right vehicle, is what are you prepared to pay. Just remember that where the Ocean is concerned, it's a buyers market at present.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Good Morning,

Thanks
Gareth
We have recently gone though the same process. Decided as we were spending so much, and hope to keep for a long time, that we would go for a factory order so exactly how we want it. Due to be made in a couple of weeks. I contacted a number of dealers, achieved just shy of 14% off list. Good luck.

Was in the same dilemma as I was looking to buy mine. For the 10k difference I thought I get a brand new engine with the latest Emissions technology, new tires, full warranty for (extended to) 5yrs, all new interiors, all the bugs worked out and resolved on the T6 Cali, the big front opening on the new type (more waterproof) canvas, split glass over sink/burners, and on top of that I could spec it exactly as I wanted. No services, oil changes and MOT etc for a couple of of years..
So I bought it new, they are priced too high in the second hand market...

£53K for a 3 year old van with no warranty. Drum up a bit more and get a new one with a decent discount (right now) and put a 5 year warranty on it. In 3 years time you’ll either have a 6 year old van which is going to start costing (if it hasn’t already) or a very saleable 3 year old van with 2 years warranty remaining. Not much to think about in my opinion.

So following on from Boris. I have been discussing a 19 pre reg with a dealer as below, Good Price? and they are still charging Road Fund Licence and First Registration Fee: £ 1,870.00.

Basic Retail Price (excl. VAT): £ 45,205.00 Factory Fitted Options (excl. VAT): 0 2. Black Awning £ 395.00 3. Privacy Glass £ 285.00 4. 6.33" Touch Screen £ 285.00 5. Comfort Mattress £ 235.00 6. Front and Rear Parking Sensors £ 415.00 7. Cruise Control £ 210.00 8. App Connect £ 145.00 Sub Total (excl. VAT): £ 47,175.00 Discount (excl. VAT): £ 6,155.83 Total (excl. VAT): £ 41,019.17 Van Centre Fitted Accessories and other costs – including fitting (excl. VAT): Delivery to Van Centre and Number Plates (excl. VAT): £ 640.00 Total excluding VAT: £ 41,659.17 VAT: £ 8,331.83 Road Fund Licence and First Registration Fee: £ 1,870.00 Total Price excluding VAT and including OTR package*: £ 43,529.17 Total Price including VAT and OTR package*: £ 51,861.00

Found a new one that's got app connect but no nav....I know you can use an app but what happens if you lose phone signal?

Found a new one that's got app connect but no nav....I know you can use an app but what happens if you lose phone signal?
I've done this and I find what happens is it sort of guesses where you are until the signal returns. Like through tunnels etc the app connect on Google maps still shows you moving

They
So following on from Boris. I have been discussing a 19 pre reg with a dealer as below, Good Price? and they are still charging Road Fund Licence and First Registration Fee: £ 1,870.00.

Basic Retail Price (excl. VAT): £ 45,205.00 Factory Fitted Options (excl. VAT): 0 2. Black Awning £ 395.00 3. Privacy Glass £ 285.00 4. 6.33" Touch Screen £ 285.00 5. Comfort Mattress £ 235.00 6. Front and Rear Parking Sensors £ 415.00 7. Cruise Control £ 210.00 8. App Connect £ 145.00 Sub Total (excl. VAT): £ 47,175.00 Discount (excl. VAT): £ 6,155.83 Total (excl. VAT): £ 41,019.17 Van Centre Fitted Accessories and other costs – including fitting (excl. VAT): Delivery to Van Centre and Number Plates (excl. VAT): £ 640.00 Total excluding VAT: £ 41,659.17 VAT: £ 8,331.83 Road Fund Licence and First Registration Fee: £ 1,870.00 Total Price excluding VAT and including OTR package*: £ 43,529.17 Total Price including VAT and OTR package*: £ 51,861.00
They can't charge you the road tax, surely. If it's prereg you'll be the second owner and will have to pay about £450 yourself to tax it.

They (or rather the Government) will be charging the ridiculous first year tax because it will be a brand new unregistered vehicle with you as the first owner, not a pre-reg. The white one? Doubt you’ll find one cheaper.

So if its new I should be able get the new reg in September? The only thing it hasn't got that I wanted is heated screen as I found it useful on my Highline. How's your new ocean?

How to price an Ocean / SE?

Start at £47k for a 2017 150 DSG with a couple of goodies Inc metallic. Knock £2k off for every year older than 2017. Knock an extra £1k when they drop out of warranty.
Assumes about 10k miles a year. Manual not DSG knock off about £800.
204 / 199hp add £500
180 vs 140, no premium.
4 motion? No idea but premium stays strong early on but reduces as they get older.

Newer than 2017 it's a bit more difficult.

Formula gives :
2013 DSG at £38k
2010 Facelift DSG at £32k
2008 man / tip at £27k
2004 LHD at £19k

Low miles doesn't add much. High miles are punished

I've drunk wine so there may be an error or too but its not far off.

So if its new I should be able get the new reg in September? The only thing it hasn't got that I wanted is heated screen as I found it useful on my Highline. How's your new ocean?

Yep, if it’s registered in September it will be the new reg. Have a chat with them, I’d sure they’d wait a week if you secured it now.

Loving the new Ocean, thanks. White is a great colour for it. Can’t wait to get away again but decided to avoid the bank holiday traffic and enjoy the weather at home this weekend!

I thought you said it was pre registered?

I am unaware if motor dealers are treated any differently from Jo public when it comes to paying VED on new vehicles but I doubt if they are. My understanding is that if you purchase a pre registered vehicle, it is in effect, second hand with the dealer having been the first registered keeper. The same applies to ex demo vehicles. Pre registered means just that, it's already been registered! It will therefore have number plates and the dealer will have had to have paid the first years VED. If you then buy it then you become the second registered keeper. Once the DVLA have been notified then the dealer will get a VED refund. How much of a refund depends on how long ago it was registered. You will then have to pay the basic rate VED, which I think is now £145 pa, plus an additional £ 325 just because your vehicles list price exceeded £40,000 when new. So if your dealer is selling you their pre registered vehicle and charging you for the full first years VED in full, then I would walk and find another dealer.

If it hasn't yet been registered then it's new and you will have to fork out for the entire hefty first years VED which is enough to make anyones eyes water.

Here is an explanatory article on pre reg vehicles:

I thought you said it was pre registered?

I am unaware if motor dealers are treated any differently from Jo public when it comes to paying VED on new vehicles but I doubt if they are. My understanding is that if you purchase a pre registered vehicle, it is in effect, second hand with the dealer having been the first registered keeper. The same applies to ex demo vehicles. Pre registered means just that, it's already been registered! It will therefore have number plates and the dealer will have had to have paid the first years VED. If you then buy it then you become the second registered keeper. Once the DVLA have been notified then the dealer will get a VED refund. How much of a refund depends on how long ago it was registered. You will then have to pay the basic rate VED, which I think is now £145 pa, plus an additional £ 325 just because your vehicles list price exceeded £40,000 when new. So if your dealer is selling you their pre registered vehicle and charging you for the full first years VED in full, then I would walk and find another dealer.

If it hasn't yet been registered then it's new and you will have to fork out for the entire hefty first years VED which is enough to make anyones eyes water.

Here is an explanatory article on pre reg vehicles:

It’s brand new, unregistered. Exactly the same as my new one. If it was already registered and therefore attracted the ‘reduced’ VED, the asking price would reflect this i.e. would be higher. It’s a brand new Ocean with all the essential options, on the road including first year VED for £51,861. It won’t hang around.

I've done this and I find what happens is it sort of guesses where you are until the signal returns. Like through tunnels etc the app connect on Google maps still shows you moving
If I have questions about the coverage, I download the google maps onto my phone before leaving home. Works for navigating by car only (not public transportation, etc.) without connection.

Reactions: GJO
It’s brand new, unregistered. Exactly the same as my new one. If it was already registered and therefore attracted the ‘reduced’ VED, the asking price would reflect this i.e. would be higher. It’s a brand new Ocean with all the essential options, on the road including first year VED for £51,861. It won’t hang around.
I'm sorry. I must be missing something here.

If it's new then fine, he will have to pay the £1870 for first years VED and registration fee.

However Karlos said:
"So following on from Boris. I have been discussing a 19 pre reg with a dealer as below, Good Price? and they are still charging Road Fund Licence and First Registration Fee: £ 1,870.00".

My comment was specifically addressed to this above mentioned statement. If he has been discussing a "19 pre reg" with a dealer, why are they charging a first registration fee and the full first years VED?

Also I don't follow your logic. Leaving aside dealer margins, why would purchasing a pre registered vehicle with a lower VED rate be more expensive than buying a brand new one?

If I have questions about the coverage, I download the google maps onto my phone before leaving home. Works for navigating by car only (not public transportation, etc.) without connection.
Uses GPS, which works without connection, even in airplane mode (I use airplane mode with offline downloaded maps on my phone while hiking to save battery).

I am going there this morning, the cali is advertised with a 19 reg so hopefully all will become clear and I will update later. Could it be the dealer has that 19 reg available but it has not been applied to that vehicle so if I buy today should be able to get a 69 plate even though I will want my T6 reg on it but a 69 v 19 may help a little with re sale.

I’ve just paid 52800 for a brand new Ocean. Ok, only 150ps manual but comes with 3 years warranty, 2 free services. It has cruise control, tow bar prep, app connect so you can use your phone for sat nav.

Back