Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do you price a California Ocean

I’ve just paid 52800 for a brand new Ocean. Ok, only 150ps manual but comes with 3 years warranty, 2 free services. It has cruise control, tow bar prep, app connect so you can use your phone for sat nav.
Congratulations. The 150 engine is just fine. Have fun.

I’ve just paid 52800 for a brand new Ocean. Ok, only 150ps manual but comes with 3 years warranty, 2 free services. It has cruise control, tow bar prep, app connect so you can use your phone for sat nav.
You should extend that warranty to 5 years. It’s a bargain and there is a very limited time window to buy it.

I'm sorry. I must be missing something here.

If it's new then fine, he will have to pay the £1870 for first years VED and registration fee.

However Karlos said:
"So following on from Boris. I have been discussing a 19 pre reg with a dealer as below, Good Price? and they are still charging Road Fund Licence and First Registration Fee: £ 1,870.00".

My comment was specifically addressed to this above mentioned statement. If he has been discussing a "19 pre reg" with a dealer, why are they charging a first registration fee and the full first years VED?

Also I don't follow your logic. Leaving aside dealer margins, why would purchasing a pre registered vehicle with a lower VED rate be more expensive than buying a brand new one?

It’s brand new, unregistered and they’ve discounted the hell out of it to the point there is nowhere to go. If they had pre registered it and therefore stumped up the £1870 to get it on the road, there is no way a dealer would / could write this off at this discount level. It would be reflected in the asking price of the van which is now ‘only’ circa £450 to tax i.e. I’d expect the pre VED price to be circa £1400 more (£1870 less their refund on the unused tax). The overall price paid by the customer would be the same. I know this because I’ve been through it. Am I making any sense?

[QUOTE="Elmo the Ocean, post: 369183, member: “I’d expect the pre VED price to be circa £1400 more (£1870 less their refund on the unused tax).
[/QUOTE]
I understood that if a tax refund was requested in the first year, all that was refunded was the £145+ £350 over £40k proportionally, but not the first registration portion.

It’s brand new, unregistered and they’ve discounted the hell out of it to the point there is nowhere to go. If they had pre registered it and therefore stumped up the £1870 to get it on the road, there is no way a dealer would / could write this off at this discount level. It would be reflected in the asking price of the van which is now ‘only’ circa £450 to tax i.e. I’d expect the pre VED price to be circa £1400 more (£1870 less their refund on the unused tax). The overall price paid by the customer would be the same. I know this because I’ve been through it. Am I making any sense?
Dealers pre-register vans for a reason; usually to do with sales targets/bonuses. They know what they are doing. You pay tax to the government, not to the dealer. The price is what it is.

[QUOTE="Elmo the Ocean, post: 369183, member: “I’d expect the pre VED price to be circa £1400 more (£1870 less their refund on the unused tax).
I understood that if a tax refund was requested in the first year, all that was refunded was the £145+ £350 over £40k proportionally, but not the first registration portion.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, which is why the pre VED price of a pre reg will be higher than if it was unregistered (assuming maximum discount level meaning the dealer can’t absorb).

Dealers pre-register vans for a reason; usually to do with sales targets/bonuses. They know what they are doing. You pay tax to the government, not to the dealer. The price is what it is.

Of course. However, you’ll find that the ‘pre reg’ vans from this dealer are all actually unregistered for the reasons I’ve explained.

I am going there this morning, the cali is advertised with a 19 reg so hopefully all will become clear and I will update later. Could it be the dealer has that 19 reg available but it has not been applied to that vehicle so if I buy today should be able to get a 69 plate even though I will want my T6 reg on it but a 69 v 19 may help a little with re sale.

It’s just the way they have to advertise them. They’ll explain when you talk to them.
It’s a great deal by the way, good luck!

I have heard quite a few people getting 14% off list price, is this pretty standard at the moment as I am just waiting on some prices back. Also does anyone know when T6.1 is shipping ?

I have heard quite a few people getting 14% off list price, is this pretty standard at the moment as I am just waiting on some prices back. Also does anyone know when T6.1 is shipping ?
I wouldn't say "standard". Our 14% was achieved by starting with 5 dealers which then ended up at 2. 3 declined to go less than about 12%, that's fine - they all have different targets to achieve. Please don't assume the well known dealer in the North West is always the cheapest, they offered the least discount for our factory order.

We’ve recently had a quote from the same dealer and a similarly poor discount was offered. Gave the same spec to another further afield dealer who immediately offered 7% before any negotiation. You will get a better price for your spec elsewhere unless you can negotiate a much better deal on the current offering. I’d be interested to hear how you get on with regards to them increasing their discount significantly. Have you looked on here at the dealer reviews as the dealer you have approached is on there?

T
Good Morning,

How do you value a California Ocean?
Newbie here and I'm considering a high spec 2016 model with 9k miles, 4motion, dsg with a decent list of extras (insulated glass, nav, towbar, spoiler, cruise etc. but it's £53250!
Versus, I can get a new 150 dsg ocean with a similar spec although only 2wd.....for £62500

Any advice or thoughts on which is the better van to go for?

Thanks
Gareth

We’ve recently had a quote from the same dealer and a similarly poor discount was offered. Gave the same spec to another further afield dealer who immediately offered 7% before any negotiation. You will get a better price for your spec elsewhere unless you can negotiate a much better deal on the current offering. I’d be interested to hear how you get on with regards to them increasing their discount significantly. Have you looked on here at the dealer reviews as the dealer you have approached is on there?

This was Inverness.....gave up with Aberdeen

Ok Bought a new 150 today with the extras already mentioned plus a bike rack and a spare wheel lock and the discount off list was over 7K so happy with that. I have been pushing several dealers for the last couple of weeks and one by one they stopped communicating. Also bought the extended warranty as I thought that was a no brainer. Re my earlier post re the pre reg it turns out they advertise their new stock as pre reg, sorry for the confusion.

Back to the original question from GJO. Personally I always wanted a new cali. My last camper was a LWB T6 which I had converted to a high spec and loved but due to personal family circumstances it wasn't being used as I had intended. So we now have the spec we want except heated screen on a new van with 5 yrs warranty 2 free services. I would say to GJO that find the used Cali with the spec you want and then see how close in price you get with a new one. and make your decision.

Re the above quote the RFL looks wrong mine was Road Fund Licence and First Registration Fee: £ 1,870.00 I presume this is correct on a new vehicle..

Yes you are. Actually I went into our dealer three weeks ago to negotiate a deal on their pre registered showroom Queen. That vehicle was sold before we could bag it so we ended up ordering a new one instead. Now you mention it, I remember him saying that he could give us a much better deal on a new one rather than an ex demo or pre reg job which I thought odd at the time as that has not been our experience. He gave us +14% on our last pre reg Cali!.
However, I don't know how much to believe. Dealers often buy batches of heavily discounted cars from the manufacturers to pre register. Apparently they do this to keep their sales figures up. I don't know what their margins are on both new and pre reg cars and they are unlikely to tell you.

Last edited:
Try autoEbid. I bought a Cali Ocean in jan new (ordered last September), 150 dsg with a decent amt of extras + a 5yr/160,000 warranty, at less than £53k
Better value than a 3yr old 204 dsg in my opinion

Reactions: GJO
AutoEBid was a great price guide on what is achievable as I don’t like buying vehicles as I always feel I am getting ripped off! We eventually went to A1 Campers near us. We dealt with Andrew who was super helpful and just paid the deposit on a new (our first) Cali arriving in a few weeks with the spec we wanted. This thread has been great in getting us to the point we have placed the order so thank you.

AutoEBid was a great price guide on what is achievable as I don’t like buying vehicles as I always feel I am getting ripped off! We eventually went to A1 Campers near us. We dealt with Andrew who was super helpful and just paid the deposit on a new (our first) Cali arriving in a few weeks with the spec we wanted. This thread has been great in getting us to the point we have placed the order so thank you.
A1 Campers can order new Cali's directly from VW? I thought they were a van conversation outfit?

A1 Campers can order new Cali's directly from VW? I thought they were a van conversation outfit?
They do conversions, normally have two or three Calis for sale and can order new. We have a 150 DSG in indium grey/glacier blue bellows arriving in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
How to price an Ocean / SE?

Start at £47k for a 2017 150 DSG with a couple of goodies Inc metallic. Knock £2k off for every year older than 2017. Knock an extra £1k when they drop out of warranty.
Assumes about 10k miles a year. Manual not DSG knock off about £800.
204 / 199hp add £500
180 vs 140, no premium.
4 motion? No idea but premium stays strong early on but reduces as they get older.

Newer than 2017 it's a bit more difficult.

Formula gives :
2013 DSG at £38k
2010 Facelift DSG at £32k
2008 man / tip at £27k
2004 LHD at £19k

Low miles doesn't add much. High miles are punished

I've drunk wine so there may be an error or too but its not far off.
Nice logic

Back