Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do you think 9" alpine headunit.

studioTUNGSTEN

studioTUNGSTEN

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
I am seriously thinking to replace myRNS510 to Alpine iLX-F903 (Halo9) after tasting Carplay on a hired golf.
Bit of pain as I might end up spending the headunit £700 plus various connectors £200ish (as I have MFSW, a rear view camera, parking sensors) and lost Satnav, disabled OEM BT module(as the unit itself has BT module in). hmm..

But I love the fact of 9" responsive display with easy of use on Carplay.

How do you think?

Do it.
I’ve had CarPlay for 3 years on a smaller 7” Alpine head unit (replaces my 510) and it’s an incredible bit of kit. Used it on our trip down to the South of France at the moment and it worked flawlessly. Audiobooks, all my music, (proper) digital radio and 3 satnavs with super accurate traffic info. Able to use France Passion and ACSI to check out sites on my phone, then just tap it to navigate there.
I’m running iOS 13 which has an updated layout with a great new dashboard. If you like CarPlay now you’ll love the new version (keeps getting better and you don’t pay for the updates!). Now phone companies are giving decent data plans and data roaming is included it’s a no brainer (unless you live or work in a very remote area).
That 9” display looks great and I am lusting after one. The fact you can angle the head unit to prevent glare etc is a big advantage.
You’ll also be able to pass on your 510 and recoup quite a chunk of your outlay too.

Oh and the Alpine retains the parking sensor display plus you can connect a rear camera (a shop with some cabling skills may be able to convert the existing camera you have?)

Good point,

I found that need Alpine APX-X300VW to connect MFSW & parking sensors and CAM-VW2-RT to retain current rear view camera.

The manufacturer of CAM-VW2-RT does not confirm if its working on T5 2015, but Alpine uk says it is working so I will try.

Will update how it is going. :cool:

@AndyFromTheBrac is that the beta version?

Yep. Bit risky as we’re on a trip at the moment but it’s been fine for weeks (and my wife’s phone has 12). Couldn’t wait for the public release
685b9a33bccecf2f992ffc79697d55f1.jpg

Apologies for the dodgy pic, but you get the idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it has some really good features coming with it.

REALLY pleased that you can now use the phone without it changing from the Nav screen. Annoys the life out of me when my other half decides to use the phone just at the point I'm coming up to an important junction!!

Looks like it has some really good features coming with it.

REALLY pleased that you can now use the phone without it changing from the Nav screen. Annoys the life out of me when my other half decides to use the phone just at the point I'm coming up to an important junction!!

That updates better in a bigger screen! ;-)

I am seriously thinking to replace myRNS510 to Alpine iLX-F903 (Halo9) after tasting Carplay on a hired golf.
Bit of pain as I might end up spending the headunit £700 plus various connectors £200ish (as I have MFSW, a rear view camera, parking sensors) and lost Satnav, disabled OEM BT module(as the unit itself has BT module in). hmm..

But I love the fact of 9" responsive display with easy of use on Carplay.

How do you think?

@studioTUNGSTEN
Did you purchase the F903?
I am seriously considering it and this part number seems to include all VW fittings https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/headunits-for-volkswagen/ilx-f903t6r

I don't want to lose any heating or parking display and, it seems, this unit would retain MFSW functions and the dash display. I quite like the idea of having a tiny bit more storage space with the change to single DIN fitting.
Anyone have any experience of the F903?
Thanks

@studioTUNGSTEN
I am seriously considering it and this part number seems to include all VW fittings https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/headunits-for-volkswagen/ilx-f903t6r

I don't want to lose any heating or parking display and, it seems, this unit would retain MFSW functions and the dash display. I quite like the idea of having a tiny bit more storage space with the change to single DIN fitting.
Thanks
I had to return it as it turned out it has a very low resolution display, a fair unit with all supported functions but I hate to see the pixels. ;-)

@studioTUNGSTEN

Thanks

By a strange quirk I ended up swapping out my iLX700 for the 903 and I have to say I love it. The resolution isn’t as sharp as my wife’s A5, but I don’t notice this when I’m using it on the road and the larger icons make it easier for my fat fingers to find the right spot. The fact it “hovers” in place and can be angled means there’s zero glare on the screen (a real problem on my old 700 unit) and it sits a little higher which is naturally easier to view (can be adjusted & dropped down). The little cubby hole underneath is ideal to place your phone and has a neat backlight.

28dbc89a0445a96a2f9097c965c3c806.jpg

That's quite an interesting unit, Im seriously pondering upgrading my 315 now but want something that still supports my parking sensors. Does this one?

That's quite an interesting unit, Im seriously pondering upgrading my 315 now but want something that still supports my parking sensors. Does this one?

Yep does the job quite nicely...

4948ebe51113e2671982f515f5dd64c7.jpg

If you use an alpine reversing camera, the display splits 80/20 camera and parking display. I’ve got a camera in the rear view mirror so didn’t go for that.

Yep does the job quite nicely...

4948ebe51113e2671982f515f5dd64c7.jpg

If you use an alpine reversing camera, the display splits 80/20 camera and parking display. I’ve got a camera in the rear view mirror so didn’t go for that.

And possibly another interesting feature support are side sensors .. at least based on the graphic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That looks good, so its a fitting kit to allow the single DIN unit to go into the double din slot? You get a little cubby?

Yeah that’s right. I got mine all packaged up including fitting kit and glass mount DAB aerial (which I never use so didn’t fit) from Tim at Advanced In Car Tech http://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/

Great bloke and super service can’t recommend them enough. Was quite a simple fit even for ol sausage fingers here

Yeah that’s right. I got mine all packaged up including fitting kit and glass mount DAB aerial (which I never use so didn’t fit) from Tim at Advanced In Car Tech http://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/

Great bloke and super service can’t recommend them enough. Was quite a simple fit even for ol sausage fingers here

Andy, if you don't mind me asking - did you get this done recently?

For me too large and hence too distracting. I recommend concentrating on driving, being aware of what is going on in front, to the side and behind rather than be tempted to look at a screen. Just my opinion, each to their own, not my cup of tea - could having this screen lead to "driving without due care and attention?"

For me too large and hence too distracting. I recommend concentrating on driving, being aware of what is going on in front, to the side and behind rather than be tempted to look at a screen. Just my opinion, each to their own, not my cup of tea - could having this screen lead to "driving without due care and attention?"

It’s not that big. The angle of the photo exaggerates somewhat. 9” isn’t much by modern standards and it means you don’t have to stare at a small screen but can rely on peripheral vision. CarPlay means I rarely have to touch it at all, as Siri responds well most of the time. Plus you can lower it right down if you’re a bit vertically challenged.

It does look nice but I don't think I can justify £900 before fitting, maybe Ill wait until it comes down a little?

It’s not that big. The angle of the photo exaggerates somewhat. 9” isn’t much by modern standards and it means you don’t have to stare at a small screen but can rely on peripheral vision. CarPlay means I rarely have to touch it at all, as Siri responds well most of the time. Plus you can lower it right down if you’re a bit vertically challenged.

Each to their own, if you are happy with 9" then fine. My opinion remains it is too big. I never touch or look at the sat nav, phone turned off, once moving (voice instructions only) and aim for the minimum of distractions. I have driven for 45 years without hitting any thing or person. I wish this to continue.

At the moment I have a Garmin Camper camera (Bluetooth) installed. So when I put the car in reverse the Garmin shows the rear view

Do you know whether you can use a Bluetooth camera with the Halo9 ?

Back