Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How have used prices changed in the last few years?

D

da_murphster

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I'm considering a T6 Beach. Recently they seem to be knocking around the £40k, maybe selling for a touch under. Those for sale seem to have been relatively low spec ones (not many have heater, DSG, only manual ac etc).

T5 Beach seem to start at £30k, again for lowish spec. Although most seem to be £35k+ at the moment.

Pre all this covid malarky what could you buy a used T6 beach for (or even a T5 beach)

Obviously its been a couple of years so rough prices appreciated.

I'm trying to figure out if there is likely to be some big price correction in the next year or so?

Input appreciated.

If only we could predict what was going to happen in the next couple of months let alone into next year and beyond.
Are astronomical energy prices going to put people off buying vehicles? Who knows. What’s going to happen to the price of fuel? It may well now go down because of a recession. It may well go up because of problems in Europe.
I would say if you are one of the lucky ones who can afford it (And there are many who can) then go for it .
As we have learned over the past 3 years you simply cannot make predictions.

I'm trying to figure out if there is likely to be some big price correction in the next year or so?

Input appreciated.
Currently 3 or 4 vans in the For Sale section listed as “Redued” or “Priced to sell “.

Wait until winter when the energy rises bite, we’re in recession and reality dawns. There will be plenty of over leveraged folk juggling finances looking at a van sat there going nowhere who’ll want / need to liquidate IMHO. Once you start getting a number of motivated / forced sellers, a market can move just as quickly as when there are motivated buyers. Prices are set on the margin.

Plenty have seen £8k / £9k increases on their van. Everything has been dragged up, primarily from unavailability of new ones, which fed into nearly new, then the early ones. Obviously list prices have continued their meteoric rise too.
In late 2017, an almost new Ocean was £50k. 5 years on, that appears to be £75k or more.
For comparison, list on a 2008 SE was mid £30s, so things have certainly accelerated.
Standard spec has increased over the years, but the cost to vw of those changes won't have been too much (led headlights today over posh halogens in 2006 etc).

Wait until winter when the energy rises bite, we’re in recession and reality dawns. There will be plenty of over leveraged folk juggling finances looking at a van sat there going nowhere who’ll want / need to liquidate IMHO. Once you start getting a number of motivated / forced sellers, a market can move just as quickly as when there are motivated buyers. Prices are set on the margin.
I want something for next summer so I'm happy to wait a bit.

When I see people paid early £40's for a new beach that makes me uncomfortable when they are more than that second hand how!

So were T6 Beaches ever below £40k?

I want something for next summer so I'm happy to wait a bit.

When I see people paid early £40's for a new beach that makes me uncomfortable when they are more than that second hand how!

Yes. I paid under 40k for mine new with very good discount in 2016. It had about 6-7 grands worth of options on it.

At the time, I recall pre reg basic Beaches were circa 37-38k.

That's what people are pricing T5 Beaches for at the moment. I'm not convinced any are actually selling though.

3 years ago a nicely specced T6 Beach could be had for circa £35K. I remember new base spec Beaches at £37K in 2019. What goes up…

January 2020, there were lots of 9 month old basic spec beaches available for around 37/38k (I assume ex VW employee lease ones)

Plenty of basic (but DSG) beaches went through car supermarkets at 6 months old for £29999. I don't have a date for you but guessing late 2019
Edit... The price was £37k. I've linked to that discussion in my next post.

Last edited:
Plenty of basic (but DSG) beaches went through car supermarkets at 6 months old for £29999. I don't have a date for you but guessing late 2019.
Wow, that shows how times have changed!

The cheapest T5 were around that.

Plenty of basic (but DSG) beaches went through car supermarkets at 6 months old for £29999. I don't have a date for you but guessing late 2019.
The winter 2019/ 20 glut of basic but cheap Beaches were in the £37/38 range as per @paul_f post. I remember as it marginally undercut what we had paid for our high spec prereg mid winter a couple of years before.

As many have speculated before there are a lot of us who would want to stretch to today's prices for what you get.

I think you are way out on the 2019 beach prices with good options prices about 48k and that is with good discount.

I was talking about early T6 Beaches (ie 2016) at the time (2019).

That's what people are pricing T5 Beaches for at the moment. I'm not convinced any are actually selling though.
Yep, you’re right - they’re not.. ones at those kind of insane prices aren’t at least - seen a few choice examples lately, but the best is someone chancing a silver t5 2013 beach on eBay for £39k (which has been for sale since November ..)

I guess some sellers (dealers?) are still dreaming that covid cash dream..

I can’t see it going back to pre covid prices (I saw a few t5 beaches at around £25k late 2019/ early 2020), but with all that’s happening right now (and to come this year) I think T5 prices at least will definitely drop..

Last edited:
I was talking about early T6 Beaches (ie 2016) at the time (2019).
I read your original post and was about to respond to your post, then you corrected your post:
so a 2016 basic (poverty spec beach) was 30k some three years after its new price would have been £ 30k ?
that is more the reality of it, prices raise every year! Hence the depreciation is minimal

Yep, you’re right - they’re not.. ones at those kind of insane prices aren’t at least - seen a few choice examples lately, but the best is someone chancing a silver t5 2013 beach on eBay for £39k (which has been for sale since November ..)

I guess some sellers (dealers?) are still dreaming that covid cash dream..

I can’t see it going back to pre covid prices (I saw a few t5 beaches at around £25k late 2019/ early 2020), but with all that’s happening right now (and to come this year) I think T5 prices at least will definitely drop..
Are you hoping or basing this on anything tangible?

if you have tracked prices over many years you will know that these vehicles hold their value relative to the original price.

I agree we have an tough period coming up, I have no doubt that you will see fire sales prices by those who have been burned by over commitments , but I would think that will be the minority.

I read your original post and was about to respond to your post, then you corrected your post:
so a 2016 basic (poverty spec beach) was 30k some three years after its new price would have been £ 30k ?
that is more the reality of it, prices raise every year! Hence the depreciation is minimal

To clarify, in mid 2019, you could buy a very well specced early T6 (2016) Beach for £35K. That would have been mid - high 40’s new. in late 2019 you could buy a pre reg base spec Beach for £37K.

Well done for finding the thread @2into1

My own post must be up for an understatement award. The guy hummed and hawed about buying essentially a new Beach for £37k just as the pandemic sh1t hit the fan. Impressive timing. Screenshot_20220810-232624_Chrome.jpg

I'm considering a T6 Beach. Recently they seem to be knocking around the £40k, maybe selling for a touch under. Those for sale seem to have been relatively low spec ones (not many have heater, DSG, only manual ac etc).

T5 Beach seem to start at £30k, again for lowish spec. Although most seem to be £35k+ at the moment.

Pre all this covid malarky what could you buy a used T6 beach for (or even a T5 beach)

Obviously its been a couple of years so rough prices appreciated.

Input appreciated.

Doesn’t really matter what they cost originally.

The main factor is what a replacement costs.

When a new beach costs £70k when it used to be £50k it will have an impact on used prices.

5 years ago we were offered £28k trade in at Sinclairs against a new California. Now 5 years on our vehicle is valued around £40k cash .
What does that say about what’s happened to the used Camper van market in that time. The price of fuel doesn’t seem to have put people off, they just accept it. Covid didn’t help, Not much else we can do really.
Compared to a hotel/resort summer holiday the camper van one is still much better value and you are not stuck in the same place for 2 weeks. I understand a campervan holiday is not for everyone but for some it’s the best time ever..

Popped into the local CamperKing converter dealer nearby yesterday. I just needed something from the shop. Struck by the sheer number of new vans sat in the car park. Had to be fifty at least.
Looked decidedly like a buyers market to me.

Back