Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How long to keep your drinking water .

It's not a garden hose - so I'm not sure why it would be more relevant to that thread!

Thats the tread where is showed how others fill theire tank on site like you showed

Where are you going where you are unsure about water quality enough to warrant that. I have been pretty much all over western Europe and not really worried.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Thats the tread where is showed how others fill theire tank on site like you showed
Ah, OK - I hadn't read that thread because I wouldn't have considered using a garden hose to fill the tank (for the reasons that were discussed in the thread, as it happens!)

Where are you going where you are unsure about water quality enough to warrant that. I have been pretty much all over western Europe and not really worried.

Well, frankly, I've not really perceived the need to use it since I bought the parts.

It was partly prompted the sight of a chap in France using the fresh water hose on a bourne to rinse out his chemical toilet (and very thoroughly, too - he had the hose almost completely inside the cassette). But the solution in that instance was to find another bourne, and to hope that the previous user had been a bit more considerate...

We've not had any problem with drinking water from the tank over the last eight years, but like others I use Puritabs/Milton every so often, and take sensible precautions about not storing water more than a few days.

I do quite like the idea that I could refill from a fast-flowing stream if I needed to, however unlikely the scenario is to arise in which that's the only option!

I am clearly a bit more on the beaten track. If in doubt I tend to head for carreforre and buy bottles of mineral water :)

I am clearly a bit more on the beaten track. If in doubt I tend to head for carreforre and buy bottles of mineral water :)

Always a good solution.
On campsites taking water in with a bucket at the tap in the wash-up place should be ok 99% .
I never fill up using a provided hose or at a "flot bleu " in France.
As said above you could be using the hose a other just putted in his chem. toilet!

But actually this tread was started wondering " how long to keep your drinkng water"
So we are way off-topic , if you use plenty water there's no problem at all , the 30l is gone in a few days....
When returning home , drain the tank and refill it before taking off again.

We are just on the way back from 10 days in France - we filled up the water in the UK (using a hose - but run it through first) and it ran out today on the way home - I guess I rehydrate using other methods!

We always empty the tank when we get home and cook,wash,drink, wash ourselves from the tank so in never lasts more than 2 days but I wouldn't have a problem if it stayed in there a couple of weeks.
Just to add to the poll ;)
We drink from the tap and have never been ill (I sterilise with tables approx every 10 fills).

Last edited:
In the end even if you don't use the water to drink , you always get it in you mounth while brushing teeth or wash up vegtables,....coocking food in water should kill most bacteries.
We don't drink from the tap bu use the water for everything else.
If you drain the tank frequent and fill up with clean water(ok you can't see the bacteries but you know what i mean) should be no problem
Those who only use botlles water ...do you use them at home also to brush teeth?
The risk of getting baceries in your home water is as high as in the Cali...

Last edited:
Agree with lots of the above, common sense etc, we use our water from the tank for most things but drain/ refill when we can....always use our specific hose which we carry with us having seen quite a few washing out portable toilets with the freshwater hosepipes at campsite service points ( completely out of order)....

This is an interesting thread.... I always use a purifying tablet before each seasons use, never use the tank water for fresh drinking water, but used my tank water for the first three years I had my Cali for boiling for tea and coffee and cooking and while never really ill, I did have regular discomfort and sometimes had to reach for the Imodium.....
This year I invested in a large plastic jug container and only used fresh water from the campsite tap for boiling for drinks and coffee......this has solved the problem so I know what I will be doing in the future .........and I do have quite a high tolerance for a few bacteria!!!!!!!!

If in the future I end up building my own 'conversion', I'm wondering whether to bother with water. I will add a sink and a drain, but the front door pockets seem designed to carry several large bottles, and may go that route.

At the moment I carry water as the designers envisaged, but more often dive for a 2l water bottle that lives in a cupboard. Occasionally I'll draw the water from the tap, but not frequently enough to dedicate that amount of space / weight / complexity (level senders, frost risk etc) if I was starting over.

I like plenty of storage in my van (a place for everything and everything in its place).....and always use the gas, so dropping the water doesn't point ME towards a Beach

This is an interesting thread.... I always use a purifying tablet before each seasons use, never use the tank water for fresh drinking water, but used my tank water for the first three years I had my Cali for boiling for tea and coffee and cooking and while never really ill, I did have regular discomfort and sometimes had to reach for the Imodium.....
This year I invested in a large plastic jug container and only used fresh water from the campsite tap for boiling for drinks and coffee......this has solved the problem so I know what I will be doing in the future .........and I do have quite a high tolerance for a few bacteria!!!!!!!!
So boiled water from the tank gave you an upset tummy and boiled water from the tap doesn't?
If that is the case then bacterial contamination is not the problem I'm afraid.:thumb

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of different ways of doing it then.
I had a look at my household plumbing, and discovered that all our water sits in a tank! It is an old house, and we don't even have a fresh feed to the kitchen sink, as is now in the regs.We have had not problems in 18 yrs
Anyway, we have continued to use the water tank in the van, as it is so convenient, and it empties in 3 days or so.
5 weeks in the van this summer didn't seem to do us any harm

Anyway, we have continued to use the water tank in the van, as it is so convenient, and it empties in 3 days or so.

What on earth do you use all that water for in 3 days?
A tank last us all season !

What on earth do you use all that water for in 3 days?
A tank last us all season !

If we only use the tap it would last less than 3days if not topped up.....
Dog takes a lot water, thats why i carry a few botlles just for her and fill them up at gasstations,...

If you wash yourselfs (2pers.) brush teeth , cook and disches wash-up , dog water , ...three days would be fair

Good question snowy, I wonder where it all goes.
We tend to avoid sites if possible, so It is morning tea ,a wash, washing up breakfast, teeth, bottle filling for the hike or ride, more tea , then coffee
Wash up lunch if not out. Evening wash, supper, wash up supper
It all goes.
I did try only filling to one bar when going for two nights, and ran out
I guess when we use sites, and use their washing up facilities, loos etc, it goes less, but for me, the indépendance of the Cali is why I love it so much

Back