How long to load

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I’ve just loaded four bikes - 2 adult and 2 children’s - onto our Quasi bike rack. It took 6 minutes 5 seconds. I think that’s pretty good.
11815f53b1492fbfc0ae8fe910b8e4d6.jpg

Nice job Tom , but then again you are a frequent user...;)
Out of curiosity , how old is your Cali and milage ?
Guess it was one of the early T6's

6283A4DC-B2FC-4F9B-869F-BF304588B0BD.jpeg
didn’t time it but under 10 mins for sure. Having 3 little sprogs doesn’t afford you any more time.

the fiddliest bit for me is positioning with pedal placement and chocks under wheels (you can’t leave them in place when pushed up so have to redo each time).

Good morning,

We using the bike rack not very often. Maybe I am to short for it, to lift the bikes up and fix it is a bit of a pain for me. I would have prefered the rack sitting on the tow bar (but that ship sailed, because to get this installed and a new bike rack would be to expensive).

Have I said all this, may I ask a question (while we talk about bike racks :) )? My wife loves cycling and we decided to get 2x electric folding bikes. I know they are folding bikes, but I still want to put them on the bike rack.

My question now is, has somebody put folding bikes on the bike rack? Normal frame size is different and I haven't thought it through if they actually can be nicely secured on the VW bike rack.

Happy California,
Eberhrad

I keep changing my mind about the best way to load 4 bikes, if I put the biggest framed bike first it's a pain getting the arms to where I want them for the rest of the bikes.

If one was a lot heavier I'd put that on first but these are all pretty similar so I don't think that is a factor. I still ended up removing the saddle from the two adult bikes to make it work

Ended up small/big/small/big

I want to find the perfect arrangement and stick to it, at least I have this picture for reference.

IMG_1493.jpeg

View attachment 65046
didn’t time it but under 10 mins for sure. Having 3 little sprogs doesn’t afford you any more time.

the fiddliest bit for me is positioning with pedal placement and chocks under wheels (you can’t leave them in place when pushed up so have to redo each time).

I push the chocks to the ends when the rack is not in use.

Before loading the bikes I push chocks on rails 1, 2 and 3 to the middle.

I secure bike 1 to the first arm with outermost pedal downward, then slide chocks in place. Repeat with bikes 2 and 3.

Rail 4 has the chocks reversed to take a very small bike.

The heaviest bike goes closest to the van in the expectation that it generates less force through the rack.

Good morning,

We using the bike rack not very often. Maybe I am to short for it, to lift the bikes up and fix it is a bit of a pain for me. I would have prefered the rack sitting on the tow bar (but that ship sailed, because to get this installed and a new bike rack would be to expensive).

Have I said all this, may I ask a question (while we talk about bike racks :) )? My wife loves cycling and we decided to get 2x electric folding bikes. I know they are folding bikes, but I still want to put them on the bike rack.

My question now is, has somebody put folding bikes on the bike rack? Normal frame size is different and I haven't thought it through if they actually can be nicely secured on the VW bike rack.

Happy California,
Eberhrad

I have put unfolded and semi-folded Bromptons on the rack. I have not been successful in finding a way to load fully folded Bromptons securely.

Semi-folded is with handlebars down and saddle down.

700e1a21a9d66f0c9a8327d964e1e8d9.jpg

I’ve just loaded four bikes - 2 adult and 2 children’s - onto our Quasi bike rack. It took 6 minutes 5 seconds. I think that’s pretty good.
11815f53b1492fbfc0ae8fe910b8e4d6.jpg

What happens when you forget to put something in the boot...?
All off, start again ;)

I don't time it, but I think it doesn't take me over 6 minutes to put on the bike rack and load the 3 bikes.
foto (100).JPG

I wonder what difference the Towbar or tailgate racks make to the Centre of Gravity of the California, when fully loaded with bicycles?

I wonder what difference the Towbar or tailgate racks make to the Centre of Gravity of the California, when fully loaded with bicycles?
The lower the weight (higher weight, but lower to the ground!), the more stable.
The higher the weight is positioned, the more body roll.
So for stabler ride, you will need the weight lower, and thus have the towbar rack.

With the heavy top of the California, due to the roof, you experience more body roll than a fully loaded Transporter, because the weight will be placed lower in the Transporter, instead of against the roof, like the California.

Good question.

Both are behind the rear axel so will transfer weight from the front axel to the rear axel. The higher rack by marginally less than the lower one.

I think...

Good question.

Both are behind the rear axel so will transfer weight from the front axel to the rear axel. The higher rack by marginally less than the lower one.

I think...
At least half a bike height.

Dub loading challenge! Sounds like some groundrules needed.

Timestarts when rack and bikes all lined up nearby? Same for rack in up or down position?
Assistance from a loading crew or not?
All buckles/straps open and ready or not?
2 adult/2 child bike class, ebike class, 4 adult bike class etc. Need an independent to decide the time handicaps.

Is this an international series or will there be regional/national champions?

I nominate @Amarillo as founding President.

Didn't bother timing putting 2 Bromptons and an inflatable kayak into my Beach boot, didn't seem fair. Far too quick.

Good question.

I think...
Not so much the forward or backward movement of the C of G but its height above road level.
Higher the C of G then more body roll side to side and fore to aft on braking and acceleration.

Its good to see how the natural evolution of competition is progressing. Surely those old traditions like discus and javelin can be dropped (pun intended) and replaced for next years olympics. Rack loading needs no special training facilities and is more relevant to camper owning society.

Personally, I’ve taken the performance-enhancing measure of installing a bike-store in front of the house, in the hope of reaching ‘the regionals’ or possibly even ‘the nationals’.

Prior to this game-changer, much of my 6 minutes 4 seconds was taken up with sprinting up and down the garden path with bikes, tripping over the hound.

I do take the time to turn the handlebars when I put 4 full sized bikes on the tailgate rack. Slower, but easier. Learned that after one handlebar perforated the seat of another bike on a long trip.

No prep.

Starting from in the house with van locked and bike rack closed. Outdoor shoes on.

Bikes in shed at front of house.

06.32 minutes

Hindered by kite string tangled in handlebars and life jackets left to dry over cross bars.