Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How many awning-type things does one 'need'?!

Dottie

Dottie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I want to use CLs with no facilities and so am looking into what I need in addition to a van!

i have several scenarios and several things I already own or am researching but the reality is that I like to travel 'light' (and with a few creature comforts), so if I can combine their use and manage with fewer things, PRACTICALLY, that would be great.

So, the scenarios:
1 storage [currently using queque shelter which is perfect]
2 shower/loo for stays on CL sites [thinking of a Khyam-sturdy, easy to put up/down]
3 shelter from sun [canopy]...I have a tarp too but that was a joke, it took up half the site! The poles made for a good washing line though!
4 midge shelter [i have a Coleman 10x10, not yet tried!

OR would a quechua base 2 do for all of the above, if on a longer trip and want to cover all bases? Good for sun shelter..does it get a sufficient through breeze and sun protection? Can a midge proof net be made to zip into doors?
Problem here is the hassle, but it might be worth it if a shower/loo was required....that being the instigator of the dilemma.

I might just stick to 1 for normal weekend site camping in UK.

Last edited:
Hi Dottie,

We bought a Khyam Motor Dome Classic but sold it within months. Although quick to put up and easy to connect to the van using the awning, it was very heavy and awkward when bagged and so big it had to live on the floor when traveling. I found it heavy to heave into the van when packed and Liz certainly wouldn't have managed it without a lot of trouble.

We finally settled on a Quechua MSH Living Room (now no longer available) and also have a couple of bedrooms which attach to it. The Living Room is great when we camp with the family and we can add as many bedrooms as they need, or spread these separately if site space allows. One bedroom on its own works for us when we are away without them. Much lighter and flexible. The Quechua Base 2 is similar but smaller. We watched a 10 strong youth group fold one up when in Italy and it didn't seem easy, although was rather amusing. I suspect there is a twist technique which once learned solves this problem.

I have always fancied the Brandrup sun shades that attach to the awing and peg out at an angle. Usual Brandrup pricing though.

http://tinyurl.com/htbgyav

Alan

Same Setup as Geezso

We have a Khyam Motordome Tourer as Drive away and the Fiamma F45S with two sides for single nights .

The Khym Tourer got more then enough space for us two and the dogs and its not to big/heavy when packed.

Hi Dottie

We have a Quechua MSH Living Room and I thought it was great (there is a thread on here somewhere), but Margaret for some reason took a dislike to it and consequently we have only used it twice. They go up very quickly (air pump) and there are basically only 4 pegs (apart from the guys). It is quite a large living space but it is a bit of a faff getting it back in the bag, and it takes up half of the boot space. As AlanC says, they are no longer available, but you may find one on eBay or on the for sale section here.

We picked up a Comfortz awning room at Tewkesbury. This is nowhere near as big as the MSH but takes up far less space in the van. You can put one, two or three sides up to suit the conditions. It is easy to put up, but there are quite a few pegs. Obviously, you have to take it down when you move the van. If you wanted, you could put the loo/shower in there in a corner, with a curtain across if you thought it necessary. En suite loo! :) (Better also for nocturnal use as you don't have to go outside!)

We have the Khyam Classic for longer/multi-night stays, and the Quechua Base Seconds for single night stays. More than enough for us. I should add, we do take a pop-a-loo tent for festivals just in case the public loos get to that "you'll never get me in there" state :)

We used to have a drive away awning with our old Bongo. Useful when the boys were younger. It was a bit of a faff.
Now just us & 2 westies. Really pleased with Quechua base second ,use as an awning in front of the sliding door. Step from the van straight into the tent. Very quick to put up & take down, once we watched the you tube video & practised in the garden beforehand.
Great seating/ storage area. Good ventilation on the sides . Used for a week recently. Great loo tent at night with my Boginabag .

No floor ,we have put a breathable ground sheet in it. No good for a shower sadly.

We're another Cali with the awning dilemma...we need more space so we can leave bikes on site when we're off for the day and not using them. It's a choice between a Quechua air base or what I will call the "Living Room pop up tent thing" ... don't really want to trial them both, I'd welcome thoughts on which would win a place in your Cali?

Does it have a floor? Thinking about showering in it!

So am I right in thinking that when you use your awning /tent for a shower you leave a soggy/wet patch containing shower gel,shampoo and body fluids you have washed off for the next unfortunate pitch occupier to paddle in?

We have a Khyam which we rarely use. The Comfortz sides and front for the wind out awning and a Base Seconds.
On our Norway trip we are taking the Base Seconds so that we can leave stuff on site and drive away if we want to and also the Comfortz kit which is split into two bags which go in the with the chairs in the tailgate), handy to just put up one end or front to keep the wind/rain off.

There are alternatives to showering, such as this product.

There is also a product called Action Wipes, but they only seem to be available in the USA.

A search on Amazon for body wipes brings up a number of similar products. Or you could use a flannel and a bowl of water ...

All good options if you have no hair ;) :D

Sorry for hijacking this thread...should have posted my own!

I have 2. A drive away for longer stays and the awning with sides for single nights at each location.
What sides are you using? We're after something cheap and cheerful to see how we get on with them as the Thule jobbie is £850, expensive mistake if it doesn't work for us!

Comfortz leisure ones. They are half that with windows etc and a storm skirt

Comfortz leisure ones. They are half that with windows etc and a storm skirt
We made our own, from some spare material we had from making covers for the outside furniture.

Measure up (Mrs B did this, I'm crap at measuring apparently). Cut the material to the right size, bind the edges and put ties every foot or so along the top and the sides. (We only made one so it has to double as a left and a right hand side.) Along the bottom make some small material loops and attach about 6 inches up from the bottom edge, then put some bungee loops on these, so that you can peg the bottom edge down with a bit of give.

We put some additional longer ties on each of the top corners so that you can tie the inside edge at the top to the roll out awning casing which keeps the inside top edge from moving to the middle.

Cost us nothing because we had the material but I'm sure you could do it for less one of your favourite tipples.

To be fair the comfortz ones have doors and windows

We're another Cali with the awning dilemma...we need more space so we can leave bikes on site when we're off for the day and not using them. It's a choice between a Quechua air base or what I will call the "Living Room pop up tent thing" ... don't really want to trial them both, I'd welcome thoughts on which would win a place in your Cali?
Why do you need a standalone awning for bicycles. Not very secure. Wouldn't a good security system and a simple weatherproof cover be a simpler alternative.
I lock the bicycles together with good locks/cables, nothing is guaranteed, and then lock the bicycles to a screw in ground anchor, with a large Barbecue cover over the lot.
Using the screw in ground anchor means unless you cut the lock etc: you cannot get the thing out of the ground while the bicycles are still attached.

http://www.ukbolt.co.uk/500mm-600mm...-anchor-canel-boat-marquees-bikes-84054-p.asp

We have the cheapest and smallest rigid pole Kyham drivaway for weekends on site or longer and the amazing Comfortz awning sides for quick use. The latter is especially versatile but the Kyham was a blessing for winter camping in Glenmore last December. TBH if I 'd known about rage Decathlon thingy I would have got that rather than the a kyham, albeit it is very well made and comfy when up, just it takes a good 20 minutes.

Back