Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How many Cali owners fit winter tyres?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
In recent years there have been more and more references in the motoring press to the use of winter tyres. In days of old their use was extremely uncommon in the less extreme areas of the UK but now more people seem to be fitting them despite our winters now becoming increasingly mild, grey and wet. Last year I changed to winter tyres on steels wheels at the beginning of November and changed back to summers at the beginning of April. I can't say that the exercise was worth it because here in the south east the temperatures rarely dropped below zero and we didn't get much if any snow and ice. So far this year I haven't bothered to fit them as the temperatures haven't dropped sufficiently to warrant there use.

Leaving aside the more extreme areas of the uk or continent where winter tyres are either mandatory or a practical necessity, how many California owners swop to winter tyres and when?

Always keen to drive on the most appropriate rubber, I got the dealer to include a set of winters as part of the deal. However, I am now starting to question whether they are really worth all the hassle?

Last edited:
Depends on what 'summer' tyres are on already and what the intended use is over winter and where.
The 'All Seasons' (e.g. Goodyear 4 seasons, or Cross Climates) these days are winter rated anyway, so if using those and you are UK based there is little reason to swap and even more so if you have 4WD also. Fine for a trip to the alps for example.

Also, as campervans will likely often be visiting muddy fields, a set of all season M&S tyres on all the time makes a lot of sense. They won't be the last word in dry grip handling, but that's not really a issue for a California.

We do. But we regularly go to places below 7 degrees Centigrade, which is where we have understood the rubber composition of our winters is already providing for better grip than summer tyres.

We often come in areas with lower temperatures and snow and such. This Xmas holiday period we are planning Poland.
This year we had our first serious snow on Sept 1, in the Alps. On our summer AT tyres...

Here in Switzerland we have to fit Winter tyres. Bit of a pain having to change twice a year but its great peace of mind.

up until the Arrival of Alfie I always swapped tyres.

I now have summer tyres on Alfie and in "suck it and see mode", with a little apprehension. However my mileage this year/ early next year is not going to be venturing off road in a highland winter so my apprehension is probably misplaced.

Don't do very much travel outside UK with the Cali (in winter, anyway) so it's "all seasons" tyres for us (Goodyear Vectors).

Don't do very much travel outside UK with the Cali (in winter, anyway) so it's "all seasons" tyres for us (Goodyear Vectors).

I thought Alfie came with 4 season tyres, in fact quite relieved when told, but it appears it is just another of those "not very clear" communications between spec sheets and dealer and I have in fact Bridgestone Turanza's

You must admit, very diplomatic speak for me, unusually, especially as I am just back from SMG Cowfold because Alfie first came with no keys for the water cap followed by keys that didn't fit the water cap. Thankfully Jason with a wrench, screwdriver and new cap solved all my problems in 5 minutes .... thank you SMG Cowfold - again!

I have a set this year, mainly for frequent trips over the Woodhead Pass. The other benefit of swapping to steel wheels and winters, is it keeps your posh alloys better for longer, away from the salt.

Our first few years ran summer set and a second of winter tyres. I then changed to all weather tyres. When our T6 summer tyres wear out will replace with all weather set. (we live in the sunny South of England and not planning on any winter Europe or far North tours winter tours.

I still have OEM's All Season Tyres fitted. Have been thinking of buying some steels with winter tyres but so far been too lazy/mean.:embarrased
In the midlands the weather is, well has been over the last few winters, very mild. We have snow occasionally but nothing to cause any long term difficulties. Often when snow falls overnight its gone by lunch time.
Can't remember the last time we had frost so bad that the council gritting service did not take care of it.
Will I travel in my Cali to mainland Europe during winter? Doubtful. To the outlying Northern areas, more prone to extreme weather, of the UK. Also doubtful at this point.
For the time being I think I will continue being lazy/mean!!
Bring on the Spring and Summer.:)

End of October till March/April. ( insurance requirement )
i change to steel winter ones, will do it until they´re worn out then
get all weather and use a steel as spare.
The new law over here is the all weather must have a snowflake symbol on them to run them
in the winter months.
I change them myself with my OEM jack, it´s brill.

My steel wheels and winter tyres went on last week

Still with the factory fitted Bridgestone Turanza and will make the switch to all weather when these are worn out.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

In recent years there have been more and more references in the motoring press to the use of winter tyres. In days of old their use was extremely uncommon in the less extreme areas of the UK but now more people seem to be fitting them despite our winters now becoming increasingly mild, grey and wet

If the MET office could get some long term sense out of their latest super-duper computer it would help. Failing that I assume it will be the normal south coast damp long autumn and early spring thing. I am old enough to remember skating around my paper round for months in the winter of 62/3, weather hey.

Heading for the alps next month; just switched the Conti Eco-contacts summertyres to Bridgestone Blizzak wintertyres.....

In recent years there have been more and more references in the motoring press to the use of winter tyres. In days of old their use was extremely uncommon in the less extreme areas of the UK but now more people seem to be fitting them despite our winters now becoming increasingly mild, grey and wet. Last year I changed to winter tyres on steels wheels at the beginning of November and changed back to summers at the beginning of April. I can't say that the exercise was worth it because here in the south east the temperatures rarely dropped below zero and we didn't get much if any snow and ice. So far this year I haven't bothered to fit them as the temperatures haven't dropped sufficiently to warrant there use.

Leaving aside the more extreme areas of the uk or continent where winter tyres are either mandatory or a practical necessity, how many California owners swop to winter tyres and when?

Always keen to drive on the most appropriate rubber, I got the dealer to include a set of winters as part of the deal. However, I am now starting to question whether they are really worth all the hassle?

Hi Boris . Good to meet up on the Micro Brewery Trip . I looked into this a couple of years ago and the issue is that if you’re going to the Alps in Winter where you are legally required to carry chains there’s a problem . The Cali handbook says that you can’t fit chains to the Vw supplied Goodyear all seasons on Vw 17 in ally’s presumably because there is insufficient clearance . You have to fit narrower tyres . So I got a set of Dunlop Winter Sports on 17 in steels . These should be used at 7 deg C and below . They work very well . Narrower tyres work better in snow . I remember driving a Citroen 2 cv in the Cairngorms in the 1970s in mid winter on thick ice with summer tyres . They were great ( bit less power though ) .

As an aside I find I get 3 or 4 more mpg on the narrrower Winter tyres .

Ps Merribel was full of T5s and T6s 4 motions ferrying people to chalets last February . The drivers said they were the best . Our T5 4 motion stuck to the ice like glue even on steep hills ! And we were camping .

Last edited:
I'm in Belfast..... Summer tyres all-year for me..... On the rare occasion, when winter or all-season tyres would be useful/needed, I just call into work and tell them there's no chance I'll make it in, as everyone else is out there driving at 5mph on Summer tyres and the traffic is a nightmare..... I can walk to a pub, and work-remote from there instead.
:cheers

Last edited:
I'm still in the do I don't I phase but previous driving experience of 'summer' tread tyres in proper winter conditions have produced some pretty white nuckle experiences where only the camber has decreed where I was actually heading. No actual crashes as I drive to the conditions but black ice and ice under snow leave no friction contact.

This may help anyone else trying to decide, (looking at tyre types used by 4x4's all year round)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Dunlop/Winter-Sport-5-SUV.htm

I'm trying to put a case together for winter tyres on the current 17" wheels and a new set of 255's on 18" rims next spring. SWMBO doesn't follow my logic, a male thing?

I spec'd the original 16s on winter tyres from the factory, and then bought some shiny 18s for summer use.

Also changing them over is good practice in case of a puncture!

I fit winters following bad experiences with a previous car that twice slid away from me on ice when I got out to put some salt down with normal tyres on. Winters made a massive difference on the same car.

We do live up a steep track in the Pennines, and can’t always get up in the snow even with 4WD. I think the problem is that modern standard tyres have become more suitable for summer, in the past they were more multi season. Undoubtedly down to reducing rolling resistance and hence fuel consumption.

Main road drivers at lower levels probably don’t need them.

Back