Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How many nights a year?

B

Big Ron

Guest User
Sorry if this has been covered before ....I’ve already proven I’m rubbish with ‘Search’ and also virtually immune from ‘Same Thread Scorn’......

I see a lot of “Beach vs Ocean”, “Big White vs Cali” etc... threads, where lots of people say “I prefer this because I do, and I’m right” type of stuff but....I’m starting to question whether I should rationally have an Se/Ocean or Beach, or have a Cali at all instead of just a Big Van and a tent etc....
I can’t make any sense of it really.....and then realised I have no idea whether I spend many less/same/many more nights in my Cali compared to you lot....
What is the ‘average‘ number of nights spent by people on this forum -is there a smarter way of asking this question and/or getting an answer?

I’m not asking for your view on what you want, nor am I asking for sage words on ‘decide what you want yourself you Numpty Big Ron’.....I think knowing how normal/abnormal I am on camping nights is suddenly important to me....I’ll work out why later....
Anyone willing to help....how many nights a year?

Around 90 .... 380 nights in Albert - just under 4 years

194 so far in Alfie .... 2.2 years

This year going to struggle to get to 40 :(

I’m still in full time employment which is massively inconvenient when it comes to racking up nights away, but ignoring this year so far (for obvious reasons) I managed around 40 nights away in a 12 month period last year. Not enough!
This year so far =1 and that was on the driveway.

If i do search it always gives answers doh ;)
Typed : how many nights , in the search function and some older threads came up.

As said above , nights away this year will be very low compared to previous years .

My first year of Cali ownership saw about 60 nights in first 6 mths ownership. And another 20-30 away (UK / Europe) staying at friends with Cali as transport. Then Ellie got pregnant, and life changed... I then had spine surgery and again life changed...
This year with the intro of an Eriba we had trips planned for 2-3 nights most weekends from April to August, some week long agility competitions as well...
I’m hoping next year will be good

10 nights this year
12 by this Wednesday...

I would say a typical year is around 50-70 nights.

Typed : how many nights , in the search function and some older threads came up.

As said above , nights away this year will be very low compared to previous years .
Did I say I was immune to ‘same thread scorn’?
The sad thing is I did do a Search and found nothing....I think maybe I type too fast?
Dead helpful hotel California!

Nice to get up to date answers though, those threads were started 4 and 7 years ago respectively.
I know there are always cries of “use the search function” but a bit of human interaction is what makes this forum a good place to be.

@Mr T
There's nothing wrong adding new posts to older threads to get human interaction.
Those two threads (for you : prehistoric threads) do give a average number of nights away in a normal year so thats a start , but seems some are never happy when help is given .
I know what the forum can give me , and what i can give to this forum .

Edit: did you not just now replied in a other thread advising others to browse arround and use the search function ? Bit ironic no ?

Last edited:
@Mr T
There's nothing wrong adding new posts to older threads to get human interaction.
Those two threads (for you : prehistoric threads) do give a average number of nights away in a normal year so thats a start , but seems some are never happy when help is given .
I know what the forum can give me , and what i can give to this forum .

Edit: did you not just now replied in a other thread advising others to browse arround and use the search function ? Bit ironic no ?
Mr T, hotel california.....
Kiss and make up. If I feel responsible for starting a thread which causes an argument I am likely to cry.....I’m very sensitive.
:mad:

Mr T, hotel california.....
Kiss and make up. If I feel responsible for starting a thread which causes an argument I am likely to cry.....I’m very sensitive.
:mad:

I’m certainly not arguing. I’m still learning forum etiquette. Happy to be educated, thank you @hotel california and my polite response to a new member on another thread (once I’d given them the answer to their question) was
“have a good browse around, use the search function to help find info on specific issues and of course ask away!”

Apologies for any irony caused by my two separate posts.

12 before lockdown.
40ish last year.
It’s not so much the number, it allows us to do the stuff we do. We do a lot of dog agility shows, and running stuff, where camping is really the only option.

I agree with @willwander , i could easy sleep every night in the Cali parked on my driveway. To me it’s more where you spent it ...
We did no trips so far this year other than a daytrip to the beach the 1st jan ...seems like a long time ago.
But in the 8y ownership we did spent nights in beautiul and remote places in about 10diffrent countries.

must be less than last year as gas bottle lasting longer!

'Thanks' to Covid-19 we have been away a lot more this year then in other years. Strangely enough. 2 kids on a 2m2 balcony with no garden ain't no fun. Normally I guess we'd do 40, maybe 50 nights. And some years we won't reach that number. Since Covid came around, we've done 20+ nights already. Expecting to go well over 50 this year, assuming there won't be a 'second wave'.

Over the last three years we've had 47, 58 & 62 nights in Cali. This year we've had 8 nights, but subject to sites opening we have another 48 booked this year. Mr B retires next year and we've already got 90 sites either booked or on our list for booking!

Over the past 5 years we've done between 61 and 75 nights each year. This includes a long(ish) winter stay in Spain or Portugal (one month last winter). Outside the winter holiday we tend to make regular 2-day trips not too far from home (we live in France).

We thought we did well achieving around 50 nights a year, and we are retired, but it seems we are light weighs. In or defence, we do have to to fit those nights around childcare for our grandchildren. On reflection, l think with 50 nights away, we're getting pretty good use out of our Cali.

Thanks very much everybody for replying. These plus the old threads is missed suggest to me that at c. 40 Nights/year I use this a little less than your average forum punter.

I’m thinking that with new grand-parenting duties (with more anticipated) I also may struggle to increase that number.

So....starting to think my priority may be BIG transport plus little camping rather than vice-versa. Beach may have been a better future compromise but VW ruining that option.

Undecided. Will have to mull it over.

I would estimate my usage as 40 nights a year

2020 the year Cali camping forgot :confused::(:rolleyes::rage

Back