Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How much???? ABS Warning Light

alstevens

alstevens

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Had the not uncommon abs warning light staying on problem … 2015 SE 180 manual - 18000 miles - took it in today for a diagnostic... Faulty sensor ? well that doesn't sound too bad, how much to replace ? That'll be 435 sterling to you sir …. ?????

Story is that fitting a new sensor (78) requires also a new wheel bearing and much mechanic time....

So what to do ? replace a perfectly good and little used wheel bearing and stump up or ignore the irritating yellow bits on the dash... what do you think folks ???

al

Had the not uncommon abs warning light staying on problem … 2015 SE 180 manual - 18000 miles - took it in today for a diagnostic... Faulty sensor ? well that doesn't sound too bad, how much to replace ? That'll be 435 sterling to you sir …. ?????

Story is that fitting a new sensor (78) requires also a new wheel bearing and much mechanic time....

So what to do ? replace a perfectly good and little used wheel bearing and stump up or ignore the irritating yellow bits on the dash... what do you think folks ???
It will probably fail its MOT.
ABS braking will be disabled.
Tyre Pressure Monitoring disabled.
I'm not sure if anything else might be affected.
You could use an Independant, cheaper labour rates.
At that milage I presume its laid up over winter. Check for rodent damage.

will it pass an MOT with that warning light on? (edit WG got there 1st!)

The part should be cheap. Purchase separately and get another garage to fit and remove fault code.

The downside of having all of the sensors is that if a cable or wire is chewed
through with a rodent it can flag up on the computer that other stuff needs to
be done too, when sometimes just rejoining the wire is good enough.

I doubt that a new wheel bearing is needed.

Its likely a wheel sensor and these can be hard to remove when corroded in. Possibly why the hub needs breaking down and wheel bearing removed. I would take to an independant.

I had an issue on a discovery II with a failed sensor but it turned out to be contamination due to a failing wheel bearing in the hub but unlikely to be both.

Hi at no point in time does the wheel bearing need to be replaced to change the abs sensor even if seized and corroded in the sensor can be removed WITHOUT removal of the wheel bearing.
As would be expected and you have confirmed it. On my my Shogun it meant popping the front driveshaft or drilling /grinding out. No bearing though

I didn't need to do this when changing the front wheel bearings / hubs on my D3. They can corrode in so I had a spare cable just in case I broke it when removing from the ABS "ring".

No ABS on a D3 equates to world on pain.

Did it at my old man place in Wales due to the fact he has a 1in drive socket set (ex HGV fitter)

the dealer seemed very certain that the sensor replacement involved at least removing the bearing commenting on how hard Cali bearings were to shift ….. its Carr's of Exeter who have been good in the past with the assorted warranty issues ( naturally now out of that nice comfort zone...) Just have to pay up I suppose ...

How about getting a quote on clickmechanic to get a ballpark price?

if it’s an ABS wheel speed sensor then, as was said by someone in an earlier post, the aftermarket parts can be cheap to buy and My guess is you’ll get change from £100 fitted using an independent mechanic and a non VW branded part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have had 2 sensors go on 2010 Cali over the past couple of years. . Fixed by local garage, no wheel bearing malarkey. Think the last one cost circa £100. Never go near the dealer (Cardiff).

AGAIN !!!! 8 months on and have the same thing … lights on .. errors on stop start / tire pressure etc. Rang Carr's in Exeter … surely covered ???? Not if its the sensor on the other wheel ..??? igf its the same one again parts only covered.

5 year old se 180 … 20 000 miles only ... . this should surely not be happening … anyone else having this issue ??

al

Can you not find a decent local independent garage...?
It’s basic stuff that a half decent mechanic can tackle.

AGAIN !!!! 8 months on and have the same thing … lights on .. errors on stop start / tire pressure etc. Rang Carr's in Exeter … surely covered ???? Not if its the sensor on the other wheel ..??? igf its the same one again parts only covered.

5 year old se 180 … 20 000 miles only ... . this should surely not be happening … anyone else having this issue ??

al
I'm afraid not and I'm approaching 100k miles.

Check the connection.
Also, check the battery voltage. 20k in 5years is pretty low use.

oddly just had sensor issues with our Golf …. but it has done 150 000 and is 13 years old ...….. that cost 650 at an independent garage !... there was a break in the wiring also that took hours to find.....
Cancelled the booking anyway due to the virus situation … will not be going far and will put up with the yellow lights for a few months … what could happen … just not brake suddenly !!!

al
Speak to Dan at Just Vanz in Ippelpen. Good independent who knows his stuff. He should be able to help.

It’s nothing to do with the wheel bearing it’s the driveshaft/cv joint has like piano keys... the sensors read the speed from this,really simple to be honest if the driveshaft/cv joint is rusty or grimy it can throw up a faulty reading maybe this is where this wheel bearing milarky has come from????
Just restored a td5 defender and having the 3amigos light up(lanny talk)
I’m aware of the pain and headache it can cause

al
I think you have possibly identified the cause.
20,000 miles in 5 years.

Your Golf 150,000 miles in 13 years.

Bit of a thread revival. Had the ABS light staying on as per previous posts. Following a bit of Googling and checking with obd 11, a faulty rear right abs sensor seemed to be the problem.
I bought the part from Euro car parts (£40) and swapped it out on my driveway.
simple job, jack the van up and secure appropriately. Wheel off, one Allen bolt holds the sensor in place. The sensor was stiff to get out, mostly due to 7 years of accumulated grease and dirt. But a bit of persuasion with a screwdriver and mole grips shifted it. Disconnect wiring loom. Refitting was a reversal of removing. It needed gentle persuasion to seat properly (last 5mm). Wheel on, lower vehicle, check and clear fault codes, take for test drive. All good.
All in took about an hour. I’m no mechanic and haven’t messed around with stuff like this for lots of years, but thought I’d give it a go. Very easy and saved a few pennies.
Worth trying yourself before committing to garage costs.

I had the same problem only last week. Bought a Carista and diagnosed a faulty left rear wheel ABS sensor. Bought a new sensor from our local motorfactors for £19. Jacked the van up and put wooden blocks under the suspension. Unplugged the old one, a little tap with a screwdriver and the original came straight out. Put a little grease on the new part so it would go in easy, put everything back together wheel back on. Less than an hour. Cleared the code and everything including Stop/start working perfect.
I’ve heard where people are charged humungus amounts to do this simple job and even been told they need a new ABS unit +. £2k... Have a go yourself it’s so so simple..

Back