Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How much weight can I operate the pop up roof on the 6.1 California van?

M

marek

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I,m planning on theTHULE Force XT Sport 14.7kg (titan grey)

THULE Roof Racks est. 7 kg

surfboard 5.9 kg

bedding and kits in the XT box21 KG

have just got a message from the dealer saying do not operate with ANY weigh on the roof, it all need to come of before raising it

thank you

marek

I think they gave you the answer. From other threads the weight seems to have decreased to 0 over previous models, likely due to warranty claims.

thank for that and did check out before posting. many are old threads and do not apply to the 6.1 roof

It used to be 50kg up or down I reckon. Your close to that limit there . How on earth do you have 21kg of bedding? I only take a quilt and lay on top of that In my morecambes

I,m planning on theTHULE Force XT Sport 14.7kg (titan grey)

THULE Roof Racks est. 7 kg

surfboard 5.9 kg

bedding and kits in the XT box21 KG

have just got a message from the dealer saying do not operate with ANY weigh on the roof, it all need to come of before raising it

thank you

marek

Surfboards & empty roof box will be fine.

I think they gave you the answer. From other threads the weight seems to have decreased to 0 over previous models, likely due to warranty claims.
So that would suggest that even solar panels are a non starter?! I’ll need to be certain before having mine installed.

So that would suggest that even solar panels are a non starter?! I’ll need to be certain before having mine installed.

GGD, there are people who have lots more than a solar panel on the roof and it has been working happily for ages ... and then those, whose roof has failed with nothing on it as well. Keep 50 kg as a guideline and you will be absolutely fine. Remember, you are dealing with a vehicle that is built to be used ... and not babied.

Enjoy! :thumb

thank for that and did check out before posting. many are old threads and do not apply to the 6.1 roof
There has been no structural change to the roof since the introduction of the T5.
The manual Beach roof can carry 50 Kgms but Opening up fully with 50 Kgms is problematic and some owners who do use a supporting stay inside. Not something I would advise but it is their vehicle.

The Hydraulic roof can carry 50 Kgms but I would be wary of opening it fully with that amount of weight unless it is centralised and in calm weather conditions. If you are referring to opening with just the roof box, empty of most weight, then that is probably OK, but in windy conditions the profile of the roof box would add quit a torsional force to the roof structure and hydraulic rams. VW may not cover warranty claims to the roof for such torsional damage.

I am running at around 50kg quite regularly and no issues. Heavier roof box containing generally a mix and match of wing foiling board/ windsurfing masts/sails/booms, plus windsurfing board on the roof box / 1 - 2 paddle boards on the other side of the rack. 8E3E2C7D-FA0C-4AC2-AC05-A2316E39A433.jpegEB7CBD9D-CF4D-4AF4-902A-DA7C50A3FD92.jpeg804C252D-72CE-4FCC-94E3-80E129BCCACE.jpeg3E3047E1-3DEF-4970-A9C7-B903B98EAC8E.jpeg8E3E2C7D-FA0C-4AC2-AC05-A2316E39A433.jpegEB7CBD9D-CF4D-4AF4-902A-DA7C50A3FD92.jpeg804C252D-72CE-4FCC-94E3-80E129BCCACE.jpeg

The manual roof lets you know when its had enough. It will either start to sag, or, and you will see/feel the flex if you have alot more weight on one side.

The trouble with the hydraulic roof is that you might not have full control if things start to go wrong, so I would unload the roof box before opening the top to reduce any risk.

When the roof is down I would guess that it could take 75kgs without any issue.

As mentioned above I don’t raise the roof with more than 50kg, and in windy conditions I would take some of the windage and weight off before raising

thank you to every one who has left a comment, marek

Back