Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How painful will the repair bill be...?

SailSki

SailSki

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all, through a totally preventable and stupid manœuvre I managed to dent my 2016 Ocean by very slowly turning left against a curved concrete lump.
Would appreciate thoughts as to how much work needed to repair.
Really hope can be pulled out rather than anything major.
None of the paint seems to have cracked and the bodywork seam still seems intact.
Thanks in advance, Mike

F928F2E2-BFD5-4CCB-B1EF-B1360B13C858.jpeg

36182FE8-AE74-4E65-AD90-587D496B2B91.jpeg

F23E4883-F317-4295-8075-E01B45FDA7DD.jpeg

1A7E05E2-7224-4F8B-A542-73C5D7993A8B.jpeg

7B6FC6C6-9B0D-4B4A-A19C-D158210F77FF.jpeg

Looks like a proficient body repair shop would be able to 'pull' that out for a relatively low cost.

Not a major creased panel to repair.

An example of 'blind spot' damage, always set mirrors as low as possible and still have normal carriageway rearward vision. If in doubt motor them down when reversing.
Pity they don't do that automatically as some/many VW cars do when reverse is selected.

Oh what an awful thing to happen :(

You must be gutted, all very well to say "my stupid fault" but still gutting and still deserving of commiserations.

I had more than that fixed for under £400.

I sympathise. Was this caused by whilst driving forward and not allowing enough clearance?
It looks as if it will be a straightforward repair, but I don't know at what cost.

Paintless repair is possible

Thanks everyone for your replies - it was inflicted when trying to get a better parking space to have a view for lunch by the side of the lake after paddle boarding - most of the car park currently blocked with some major construction so was doing a 10 point turn to double back on myself - saw the sign above and was taking care of that but hadn’t noticed the lump below as I moved forward and heard this horrid sound. Then had to reverse back off it too.
Checking under the car I see it has scuffed off some of the underseal and pushed the seam in but nothing is split.

F4257BD0-C6C2-4CC2-B4D7-D6510351DF24.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh I sympathize! That 'having to reverse back off it to' sounds familiair. Horrible.

Best thing you can do is decide a.s.a.p. that you are not going to worry about it. Pay whatever painfull sum is needed to get it fixxed and try not to think about it again. Good luck!

I can't tell for sure but it looks like the cill (? Sill) might have been pushed in too?

I can't tell for sure but it looks like the cill (? Sill) might have been pushed in too?
I certainly hope not, but a friend who does car paint repairs thinks it needs a well-equipped body shop pull it out with tig pullers to keep it straight

The cill has been deformed, it will require pulling, but it’s not beyond an easyish repair for an experienced operative, rule of thumb is it is not broke (split) it can be repaired
i.e. The metal is intact, I can be put back into shape with some skill

Agree with the above.

3k when I did something similar on our old Cali. It was worse than that though.

3k when I did something similar on our old Cali. It was worse than that though.
Ouchhhh. Have been hoping to keep it clear of the insurance but if it gets to that level will think again....

Ouchhhh. Have been hoping to keep it clear of the insurance but if it gets to that level will think again....
My daughter had similar damage on her polo and that cost £260 small independent body shop

Shame it's the kitchen side, it's a pain to take that out if needed.

.... non è necessario smontare la cucina, si fa dall'esterno, ma poi bisogna ridipingere

Would side bars have helped? The previous owner of my van fitted some for this reason but they look so thin can't see them doing much good.
i reckon you would have heard the bars scrape first yes. maybe bend the bar and brackets and hopefully stop before you wreck the sill. hind sight in this case though. good luck with the repair.

Back