Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to access the towing eye

Yorkie

Yorkie

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
we have just returned from a wonderful trip around Pembrokeshire's coast. As we camped on caravan and camping club farm sites we were shocked how expensive they were compared to our commercial stays. £25 farm: £16 commercial.

One field was still farmland and even with snow and mud tyres we got stuck. The farm tractor arrived but I couldn't work out how to get my spot lamp cover off to put in the towing eye so had to be pulled out backwards.

Any tips?

Chillout mate I have used the search engine on some occasions and come up with nothing.

Chillout mate I have used the search engine on some occasions and come up with nothing.

I know some want everything on a silver plate , but unfortunate things are not always that way.
Glad i could help anyway "mate"

Last edited:
Seems yours has a diffrent bumper ,
It must be on the RHside imo , next to the foglight

I had a similar issue 2 weeks ago, thankfully the towing Land Rover driver had just pulled out another T5 otherwise I would have been stumped as I did not have the manual with me.....

I knew it was going to. Be a problem parking as the car park/field marshals had every one reverse back and accelerate into the field!

It looks like you have a sport line front spoiler
If it is a genuine one the black section comes out it just clips in but you will need a towing eye extention if you haven't got one as the spoiler sticks out more than the original. Some aftermarket sport line spoilers are in one piece like mine was. The black grill bits were fixed I drilled a hole in line with the towing eye thread in the bumper and put a black rubber bung in if I needed a tow I just removed the bung.

It looks like you have a sport line front spoiler
If it is a genuine one the black section comes out it just clips in but you will need a towing eye extention if you haven't got one as the spoiler sticks out more than the original. Some aftermarket sport line spoilers are in one piece like mine was. The black grill bits were fixed I drilled a hole in line with the towing eye thread in the bumper and put a black rubber bung in if I needed a tow I just removed the bung.
The chap I bought it from insisted he had only fitted the bottom splitter not the whole bumper so I thought it was original kit, perhaps not.

If you drilled yours was it through the fins? A bung would be difficult if so

I got the fitter to mark where the towing eye
Was before fitting if I remember the hole was in between the fins I used a rubber grommet
Then just glossed it black.

An old thread on this same topic talked about getting a trim removal tool. A couple of weeks ago I asked what some random items in my Cali were. No one knows what the blue items are but ...... as one of them says LH could it be to remove the spotlight cover?

IMG_3189.JPG