VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have:
  • 2015 SE
  • Karitek lift assisted canoe rack
  • 4.65m aluminium canoe
  • Thule Raceway 2 bike carrier
I've mounted the Thule bike rack high to clear the number plate and rear wiper arm. It's a bit too high and close to the canoe overhang for my liking. I want to mount it in a lower position.

If I mount the Thule rack lower it will obstruct the rear wiper blade. There is always the risk of accidentally hitting the rear wiper switch or leaving the front wipers on, selecting reverse gear and the rear wiper automatically coming on.

Any advice on how to disable the rear wiper?

I had thought about removing the 15amp fuse in position 10 in the centre console fuse box. However it looks like this fuse covers more than just the rear wiper.

Remove the rear wiper arm entirely? Disconnect the motor? I don't know how to remove the trims and disconnect these and without running the risk of damage.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The nut to remove the wiper arm is easy to access. The cover just pivots towards the wiper arm. It's clipped top and bottom. Probably the easiest option as messing with the electrics could be a challenge. Just remove the wiper arm leaving the spindle
Your Karitek plus ally canoe must be near or over the roof limit of 50kg? I weighed my Karitek and it was about 18kg and my lightweight (by canoe standards!) canoe 27kg.

Many thanks Alec. Arun? I was on the Arun-Wey canal Saturday and Sunday.

My lightweight Linder is 28kg. So yes, not too far off 50kg. Is there a risk? I would never try to raise the roof with the canoe mounted on the roof. I leave the Karitek on permanently as it is a bit of a faff to mount and align for smooth operation. The nose of the canoe in millimetres from the body and wing mirrors when the Karitek is down and I'm lifting the canoe. I'm just waiting for a bash.

I'll give removing the wiper arm a go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a light boat! I had a Grumman for my first canoe. Totally bullet proof but heavy! I think so long as you keep below the 50kg total there's no problem it I am careful when loading so as not to put too much strain on one side of the roof but did manage to bash the door mirror. I'm currently looking for a lighter boat but they start getting very pricey and are a bit fragile.
Yep the Arun, one day they might finish the restoration and rejoin the Wey.

It's getting harder and harder to lift as we get older and older. The standard Linder 4.65m canoe is 33kg! Saw some very nice work being done on the locks and bridges, it would be great if the canal is fully opened up again and so near London. Also noted that farmers and home owners had access over filled in parts of the canal. It will be interesting to see how they deal with this.

Wondering if this should in fact be in T5 Technical Section?

Back