Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to empty waste water tank

marjjeffs

marjjeffs

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi All, Daisy Bus , Monty Dog and I have been away together for the first time at last . I jiggered my back just after I bought her in early summer. I realise I am being thick but I can't figure out how to empty the waste water tank. My handbook suggests the lever is where the gas canister is - or am I being even more thick? It is driving me bonkers. Where please good folk is the lever to empty it? I don't want it freezing in our lovely Scottish winter. In anticipation Marj

The waste tank tap is at the bottom of the left side kitchen cupboard
The freshwater drain tap is in the rear cupboard to the left of the gas bottle compartment lid

The waste tank tap is at the bottom of the left side kitchen cupboard
The freshwater drain tap is in the rear cupboard to the left of the gas bottle compartment lid

Thanks so much. No more sleepless nights!!!! I can't turn the freshwater tap for the life of me having found it but I am draining down through the waste tank tap on. What a wonderful forum you run. I have learned so much and am sure will be asking many more questions in the future.

Thanks so much. No more sleepless nights!!!! I can't turn the freshwater tap for the life of me having found it but I am draining down through the waste tank tap on. What a wonderful forum you run. I have learned so much and am sure will be asking many more questions in the future.
The fresh water tap only turns through 90 deg. Closed is pointing N/S of Van, open is pointing front of van.

The fresh water tap only turns through 90 deg. Closed is pointing N/S of Van, open is pointing front of van.

And opening the filler cap on the outside makes the draining go faster allowing air getting in ....:thumb

And removing the sink plug allows the waste water to drain quicker.

After emptying the fresh water tank, don't forget to run the tap until all the water is out as this can also freeze. Takes only a few seconds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all, just drained my tanks. The VW manual talks about removing the water pump fuse so you can then open tap with no pump running and drain the pipe. Is it ok just to run the tap dry instead?

Hi all, just drained my tanks. The VW manual talks about removing the water pump fuse so you can then open tap with no pump running and drain the pipe. Is it ok just to run the tap dry instead?
Best not to run submersible pump dry. If you take the fuse out or disconnect the tap ( there's a connector under the sink ) you can leave the tap in the on position, allowing any water to run back down into tank, rather than trap it in the pump.

Running the tap dry with no water running through it would overheat and damage the pump. VW recommends keeping the tap open and no fuse so any residual expansion in freezing can find its way out without the tap running and ruining the pump.

It does of course depend on how often you intend using the Van and where you live, i.e. chances of freezing. As mine is used most weeks I never bother draining down. If a really hard frost is predicted then I just run the van heater a few times overnight, opening all the cupboard doors so the warm air circulates around the kitchen pipes. I do empty both tanks in the normal way.

When is it time to panic and take this action regarding the outside temperature?
Zero deg's? or lower given the fact the tank, pump and pipes have a smidgen of protection from the elements?

When is it time to panic and take this action regarding the outside temperature?
Zero deg's? or lower given the fact the tank, pump and pipes have a smidgen of protection from the elements?
Last year I put a thermometer between the water tank and body panel to see if/when to panic. As you say there is only a smidgen of protection! I'm probably over cautious but I tend to drain the tank once we start to get a few sub zero nights.

sounds sensible...
I'd like to avoid panic too early, too often as that must be a right pain.

Drained my fresh water tap today. I couldn’t get the fuse out easily so followed WG’s advice and disconnected the wiring to the tap. This was tucked behind the unit under the sink. The connector had a bit of grey foam covering it, presumably to reduce rattles (T6). Much easier than getting the fuse out.

Just opened the tap, heard it glug back into the tank, closed the tap and reconnected the wire.

Removing the fuse is quite tricky. I've managed to drop mine in amongst all the wiring under the seat and my fat fingers won't fit in to try to retrieve the fuse. I can't even see it!

Top tip for others attempting this...

Don't drop the fuse!

Thought I'd posted this on saturday but some how the post wasn't there...probably my error.
Anyway here goes....
Available on online and in Halfords etc....
Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 19.20.53.png

Yes. That's what I needed!

That smal plastic pliers comes with a Cali ....

That smal plastic pliers comes with a Cali ....
I got the idea because the pliers come with my current car so glad to hear they also come with a Cali. I assume they are housed in the fuse box it's self and some owners haven't recognised them as pliers?

Got one in my 2013.... But it doesn't work with the fuse box under the seat! The fuse holders have lugs at each end which need prising with a small screwdriver at the same time as pulling the fuse. So looking on eBay for the right tool.

Hi, can anyone tell me where the clean water tank drain pipe should pop out from the underside of the van? Following the pipe it seems to double back on itself, but i can't locate the end. The water just seems to be leaking through a hole, seeping from the middle of the pipe. Not sure this is how it should be? Thanks.

Hi, can anyone tell me where the clean water tank drain pipe should pop out from the underside of the van? Following the pipe it seems to double back on itself, but i can't locate the end. The water just seems to be leaking through a hole, seeping from the middle of the pipe. Not sure this is how it should be? Thanks.
The clean water exits by the Gas Locker dropout, onto the Near Side rear underbody plastic under shield. The water will run out onto the under shield and onto the ground dependant on how level the vehicle is it can hit the ground rear NS, mid NS, rear middle or centre of the vehicle.
It empties on the under shield so that it doesn't get contaminated with road water/muck.

Part 21 is the water outlet and gas ventilator for gas locker.

452068300.png

The clean water exits by the Gas Locker dropout, onto the Near Side rear underbody plastic under shield. The water will run out onto the under shield and onto the ground dependant on how level the vehicle is it can hit the ground rear NS, mid NS, rear middle or centre of the vehicle.
It empties on the under shield so that it doesn't get contaminated with road water/muck.

Part 21 is the water outlet and gas ventilator for gas locker.

View attachment 76050

Ah, thanks, so there is no end to the pipe, to avoid contamination... The emptied water just bleeds out? Thanks again.

Ah, thanks, so there is no end to the pipe, to avoid contamination... The emptied water just bleeds out? Thanks again.
If you get under the van and remove the plastic
undercarriage it is possible to fit a small funnel in place
and have it protruding through the hole that you would expect
the water to flow through.

Connecting a piece of hose isn't possible cos the drain out valve is
combined with the gas release.

A pic of a funnel -
images-193.jpeg

Back