Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to fill the freshwater tank with a hopepipe......

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I have a simple question. How do you fill the freshwater tank with a hosepipe when travelling alone? I must be doing something wrong. I put the hose into the water tank (not too far to avoid risk of damaging level sensor) go and turn on the tap to fill that tank and the hosepipe promptly falls out of the tank and falls to the ground picking up grit/grass/sand etc.
Last time this happened I gave up and asked a fellow Cali owner if they had a Brandrup Water Fill-in Set. Fortunately they had one, but in my haste forgot to ask them my question above. Anyone help me?

I wonder if I am not helped by the fact that my hosepipe is a "flat" type?

Only ever filled by my self - as said above you need to push in the pipe further.

(Edit own hose and fit for purpose)

Last edited:
I would never use a hose to fill my water tank, hoses are a magnet for bacteria, even worse if the hose is not your own as I have seen people putting the hoses on campsites within the cassette of their toilets to clean them out.

We use a Brandrup water filler which we regularly sterilise

I would never use a hose to fill my water tank, hoses are a magnet for bacteria, even worse if the hose is not your own as I have seen people putting the hoses on campsites within the cassette of their toilets to clean them out.
Agree, it is my own hose and gets a flush after each trip.:thumb

Hold end of hose doubled over turn tap on the put pipe in tank, reverse when full.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I just thought there may/must be a more sophisticated way........

I just thought there may/must be a more sophisticated way........
I also fold the hose pipe near the end and then turn the tap on, you will get a dribble but it's manageable, of course I take the cap off before this starts, the inlet pipe seems to turn to the rear of the van and once the hose is in there will fill fine. I have used this 20' length of hose without any problems over many years. Dip the ends in disinfectant at the start of the season and then as long as you are the only person who uses it you shouldn't contaminate the hose.

We use a Brandrup water filler which we regularly sterilise
:Iamsorry But. :offtopic
The OP was asking " How to use a Hose to fill the water tank. ". Having used campsite hoses frequently over the past 50 years I have yet to suffer any consequences. Also I have never seen a Motorhome user using the fresh water hose at a dedicated campsite " Motorhome Service Point " for anything other than filling their vehicle fresh water tank.
I trust if you saw someone doing that, from a drinking water supply point, then you would educate them as I would and I'm sure many others, or inform the campsite owners accordingly!

Never use a hose , always a flunnel and a collapseble bucket witch the two are only allowed to use to fill up the water in the Cali ....nothing else !
A collapseble bucket of 5 liter takes abour 6-7 times to fill the tank easy handy and super clean ...no risk of filt or dirt coming in the tank

Never use a hose , always a flunnel and a collapseble bucket witch the two are only allowed to use to fill up the water in the Cali ....nothing else !
A collapseble bucket of 5 liter takes abour 6-7 times to fill the tank easy handy and super clean ...no risk of filt or dirt coming in the tank
Thanks HC, I can see how this would work and thanks for your experience too but I would rather not use a bucket as I have had a couple of slipped discs in last two years. I am OK with using the hose (It's mine and I am fastidious at keeping it clean) but I just wanted a way to stop the damn thing falling out of the filler hole when I turn on the tap when I am on my own. I can see I will have to invent something!

I use a hose gun on the end of the hose, spraying it down a short filler tube, but it does mean you have to stand there while it fills.

You can put a special HEOS connector on your watertank :
heos1.JPG heos2.JPG

heos3.JPG heos4.JPG

This works really well, but I also find out that my Gardena/Hozelock connector itself fits perfectly tight the fillinghole :

heos5.JPG
(Also easy filling, but no HEOS connector needed)

I hold the hose folded back against its self about 18 inches down from the end. This will stop most of the water.

Turn on the tap, poke the end of the hose down the filler and release the bend.
Reverse the process when the tank is full.

Alan

Now some will think : thats why we don't use the watertank ....:D

How do you get the funnel to stay in the inlet please?

How do you get the funnel to stay in the inlet please?
One hand holding funnel
One hand holding / pooring bucket , it is only 5 liter

When I fill up at home I use a large water carrier to get the water to the van. Then use a submersible 12v pump with a short length of hose to pump the water into the tank. I fitted a 12v plug to the pump and plug into the socket in the rear of van. Although it's a bit heavy to lug the water carrier it does mean I can fill the van in one go and it's easy to keep this "filling kit" clean.

You can put a special HEOS connector on your watertank :
View attachment 22368 View attachment 22369

View attachment 22370 View attachment 22371

This works really well, but I also find out that my Gardena/Hozelock connector itself fits perfectly tight the fillinghole :

View attachment 22372
(Also easy filling, but no HEOS connector needed)
Great. Thanks for that. Looks a good solution. I just looked this up at HEOS and found it has an auto "over pressure" relief mechanism. Good thought.

We use the black Brandrup solar shower bucket. It hangs into the roof rail with a special cord and has an extra long hose that fits in the water inlet. Only 20 liters, which is enough for us boiling coffee, brushing tooths and washing dishes. Not suitable for people with slipping discs. After use the folded bucket fits into one of the chairs in the tailgate (filling opening up, against dripping...)

Aqueous regards from Amsterdam,

Marc

solar_shower.jpg

Back