Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to fit side bars

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I'm looking at getting some side bars from Vanstyle, but their next "free fitting" appointment is July! Can anyone give a description of how they're fitted, or photos? I've found a few references in previous threads to it being quite easy, but the bit which worries me is the need to trim something plastic somewhere underneath - is this a drastic job or easily achievable for someone who's not particularly mechanically minded?! I've not really been able to find out exactly what I'm expected to start chopping up... Thanks!

very easy you only need to trim the plastic undertray where the brackets go in 2 places but a small section about the size of a matchbox

As ever, if you have the right tools it's a lot easier. I fitted my sidebars and it was really quite straightforward. I used a Dremel tool with a small cutting disc to trim the plastic under tray. A couple of sockets was all that was needed to tighten the brackets. A number of You Tube videos are available that show the detail. :)

Thanks - doesn't sound too daunting! Can't believe I didn't think to check YouTube. :rolleyes:

Just a note, just fitted angled sidebars the 4 bolts either side holding bracket either need trimming or plastic cutting as they stop tray fitting properly. I just cut circular holes in plastic as is hidden with the bars.
Found the Vanstyle ones indistinguishable form vw side by side so only time will tell.

don't suppose you have a picture of the trimmed under tray do you? I'm fitting mine this weekend and not keen on hacking the tray ..

With bars on you cannot see the cut I probably cut a bit over to allow for adjustment but need to make sure the tray does not pinch between the bracket and the bar otherwise will not sit properlyA9627352-8504-4051-AF67-03CB1796ACC9.jpeg

With bars on you cannot see the cut I probably cut a bit over to allow for adjustment but need to make sure the tray does not pinch between the bracket and the bar otherwise will not sit properlyView attachment 69655
THANK YOU !! Perfect! this is kinda what I thought but going at my new cali with a multi tool was a little daunting .. thanks for the info !!

I like the look of the side bars. Not planning on lowering my van for ground clearance reasons but I guess they make it appear lower. Do the sleek angular ones compromise ground clearance much? Looks like the van may be lower than the sill height on the underside anyway. I’ve not seen them really on t6.1s and wondered if there was a reason for that but if you ever had a change of heart and remove them do you then need to get a new plastic tray?

I like the look of the side bars. Not planning on lowering my van for ground clearance reasons but I guess they make it appear lower. Do the sleek angular ones compromise ground clearance much? Looks like the van may be lower than the sill height on the underside anyway. I’ve not seen them really on t6.1s and wondered if there was a reason for that but if you ever had a change of heart and remove them do you then need to get a new plastic tray?

we picked up our 6.1 a couple of weeks ago and had the dealer fit (and warranted) VW 30mm lowering kit fitted.. to be honest it made a huge difference in looks over stock BUT we did it to give added clearance for barriers as it will be used as a 'daily' also.. I'm fitting the Vanstyle trapezoid (square) bars at the weekend and to be honest I don't think they hang any lower than anything under the car anyways, they will just cover the empty side below the door and clean up the look a little.

ill post a pic when they are fitted. by be aware I've waited over 2 months for the Vanstyle side bars, they have stock now but takes months to get more when they sell out as they are very popular and apparently indistinguishable from OEM.

they ordered 250sets and had 80 left on Wednesday when I called them.

Good luck they do look the part, depending on what length bolts they supply ,mine were a bit long so you may need to cut holes so they protrude through the plastic or cut the bolts shorter I cut holes as this was easier you cannot see the once it’s all fitted.

@Betty67 thanks I plan to cut the bolts down rather than more holes in the undertray..

thanks for your advice

Thanks for the heads up on stock and pics would be good. They‘re relatively inexpensive from van style so would probably just get and fit them to see if I liked the look if it wasn’t for the cutting involved. Any idea of the installed weight as I am a bit concerned about payload already given there is 4 of us?

Thanks for the heads up on stock and pics would be good. They‘re relatively inexpensive from van style so would probably just get and fit them to see if I liked the look if it wasn’t for the cutting involved. Any idea of the installed weight as I am a bit concerned about payload already given there is 4 of us?

I can confirm they are incredibly easy to fit.. and my worry about the cutting was not necessary..

so what I noticed is that its quite easy to cut correctly the size of the bracket out (size of a matchbox) without hacking the under tray like I have seen on other forums, and the brackets fit in the bungs as described perfectly..

the only gotcha I found was the brackets are not only difference from front and back they are also front and back themselves and if you get the brackets round the wrong way the bar doesn't sit in the middle of the van :). I found this out the hard way..

anyways fitted and incredibly hard to show in pictures but overall very happy with them .. for the price I can see why they are always sold out .. and look 100% the same as the OEM £600 versions right down to the brackets being the same.

IMG_2585.jpegIMG_2586.jpeg

Looking good. I'll be after a set myself soon.
Were the brackets marked to where they go or was it try an error?

Looking good. I'll be after a set myself soon.
Were the brackets marked to where they go or was it try an error?

to be fair it may have said in the instructions BUT they are so easy to fit its easy to overlook .. I've watched so many videos online stressing about the cutting but really not an issue. its just a case of making sure the longer leg points towards the back of the van on all brackets.

I have attached the instructions for anyone interested.

Attachments

• VWT59 (T5100101S3) VWT59BLK (T5100101A).pdf
    6 MB · Views: 89
Just ordered some from Vanstyle. Very helpful on the phone and advised me to buy them from their eBay shop as they have a sale on. £127 including delivery & VAT.
:thumb:thumb

Looks great! Have to get brave and give it a go. I see the bolt issue from the instructions seems a bit daft they don't supply them shorter - do you need a grinder to cut them or just a hacksaw? Also what did you cut the undertray with?

Looks great! Have to get brave and give it a go. I see the bolt issue from the instructions seems a bit daft they don't supply them shorter - do you need a grinder to cut them or just a hacksaw? Also what did you cut the undertray with?
Hey ferryman

well for the rear I just notched out a little bit of the under tray as hacking the bolts after fitting wasn’t an option. (Not much room and I wasn’t taking it apart again!) front didn’t need anything and was hidden under the tray.. and the undertray just cut like butter with a multi tool . It’s really not that thick and only there for cosmetics as my van is only a couple of weeks old and it was dirty underneath it

do it! It’s really not as bad as you may think.. the only thing is you could do with a spare pair of hands when offering up the bars on final install as it’s a bit of a juggling game otherwise

Hey ferryman

well for the rear I just notched out a little bit of the under tray as hacking the bolts after fitting wasn’t an option. (Not much room and I wasn’t taking it apart again!) front didn’t need anything and was hidden under the tray.. and the undertray just cut like butter with a multi tool . It’s really not that thick and only there for cosmetics as my van is only a couple of weeks old and it was dirty underneath it

do it! It’s really not as bad as you may think.. the only thing is you could do with a spare pair of hands when offering up the bars on final install as it’s a bit of a juggling game otherwise
Thanks for the tips hadn’t thought of the multi tool and it should give a neat cut. Now just to decide black or chrome against indium grey!

Thanks for the tips hadn’t thought of the multi tool and it should give a neat cut. Now just to decide black or chrome against indium grey!

#GLOSSBLACKFORTHEWIN!

whatever you choose they will look awesome !

Also, don't do what I did and accidentally knock the T-piece inside the bodywork through the mounting hole as you're offering up the bar. :rolleyes: There are some little plastic clips to stop such foolishness but I didn't find them of much use.

Mine have been on for six months now and are rock solid. Interestingly, anyone who comes over to discuss the van feels it necessary to give them a kick or grab them and waggle them - I'm not entirely sure what they are expecting to happen!

@haydnw2 I used the plastic clips and as flimsy and pointless as I initially thought they were they held the bolt firm and allowed me to do the brackets up with no issue..twice in fact as I had them around the wrong way!