Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

how to fix? ... bonked new VW T6 door hanging bike rack

Canary Bird

Canary Bird

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I got home last night after a trip from Australia (jetlagged) and took my mother-in-law to the airport early this morning ... AND backed into a column in the airport parking garage. :( It hangs so far off the back door and I feel like I heard the sensor at the same time I heard the bonk.

VW will fix the door, but act initially like they won't touch the bike rack. The bike rack only seems damaged on the one bar (bent) and that is why it won't now connect.

How would you try to fix this bike rack? ... bending back the PB090006.JPG PB090005.JPG bar.

Doh! :headbang

It should bend back if you're careful, but best fill it with sand, if you can, to prevent it kinking.

Well thats the problem with aluminium stuff. You kind of can't bend it back without fracturing.
One ebay seller was selling a bike rack with bent arm stating it works perfectly.
After travelling to Berlin and mounting it we found it it doesn't open and bends into the door. So we even dented my new cali door.
Had to explain him that you can't bend it back easily.
P.S. if you are into skiing, should know that there is almost no way to straighten bent aluminium sticks back.

Thanks for the great tip!
And apply plenty of heat, preferably from a heat gun \ paint stripper. Obviously not enough to blister the paint on the tube!

Given how little you have to bend it back it should be no problem, but go slowly and apply more heat if needs be.

If bending back does not work, maybe you can get the tube as a spare? Probably not the first that bend the thing.