Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to get rid of Moths?

chrissmit

chrissmit

Vehicle
T5 HighTop
last night, while camping in the wild, I was woke up by what turned out to be moths.
They or it was happily pecking and plucking away at our roof awning.
Result: 12 holes of which the biggest is about 5mm in diameter.

Question:
How best to close the holes?
How to prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks for the help!
Chris

My understanding of Moths, --- Only the larvae have chewing or biting mandibles which allow them to eat fabrics.The adult moths do not have the mouth parts necessary to chew on material

Do you refer to (1) the canvas in the pop up roof (2} the plastic in the wind out awning or (3) a drive away / tent type awning? (unlikely if you were wild camping!)

Do you refer to (1) the canvas in the pop up roof (2} the plastic in the wind out awning or (3) a drive away / tent type awning? (unlikely if you were wild camping!)
It says T5 hightop so it would seem (1) not relevant (?), and as you say (3) not likely for wild camping, so that would leave us with (2)...
I've not come across this issue before???

My T5 has a roof that goes up electrically.
The awning that I'm talking about connects the car to the roof and is made of a thick (cotton?) fabric.
There are about 12 small and bigger holes in there now. All on one side.
Definitely done by an insect, because I heard it doing it.

Maybe I've set my T5 as the wrong version.

Still remains the question, how do I close the holes in the cloth, and how do I prevent this from happening?

Picture of the biggest hole. Aprox 5 mm

image.jpg

TearAid is the repair method but it is worth seeing if this problem has occurred to anyone before, and if some kind of insect repellent spray might stop it happening again?

Edit: was this your first night out for a while? Could something have been trapped in there for a while?

Cannot find anything on the WWW regarding insect/moth damage to canvas tents.

I just find it strange they simply attack the canvas and the wind out awning ( witch is plastic!)
Are you sure those holes are caused by mots?

Back