Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to get the tambour roof shutter open...

AlisonF

AlisonF

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Having seen posts about the strength required for the manual roof, I was a little worried for my Beach after having the wonderful powered roof on the Ocean.
In between all the personal issues going on I’m trying to get bits on the Cali tested. Tonight, as it’s crisp and dry, was the awning and roof. Awning I was expecting problems from others experience, but my fastenings were fine.
Roof was a different matter. The tambour roof will not budge. At all. I have the panoramic window ordered - maybe that’s the issue. But I am loathed to force this much more and break it... back to the dealer and ask them to demo it for me?

Once you have beaten the tambour, and released the safety catches each side, don't be afraid to give the roof an almighty shove upwards.

Breaking the seal the first time, especially if not used for a while may seem excessive. Once it starts its easy, just get in a safe lifting position bodywise.

Getting it down is less hassle, it will ease down then reach a point where it just drops in the last few inches. Plenty of time to check the canvas is gathered correctly.

I'm assuming 6.1 has the same short webbing straps you use to keep the safety clips and canvas apart. Obvious once you know, less so until you are told.

I’ll have another go in the morning. Off to bed with wee miss cancer for boobies (Peaches). Sorry, that’s another thread. Feel free to report me...

@AlisonF , if you release both the clips taking away some tention then opening the shutter ?
Can’t move the sliding tambour part - so not got as far as the clips yet... unless I am totally missing something and the sliding part is different than the T6 Ocean

Can’t move the sliding tambour part - so not got as far as the clips yet... unless I am totally missing something and the sliding part is different than the T6 Ocean
So you can't open the roof without opening the hatch?

The hatch needs to be opened first on a Beach.
Thank you. I also just saw another post which shows pics of the clips above the sliding hatch.
It also needs sliding on an Ocean as slides into gaps on the fixed part above the doors.

Thank you. I also just saw another post which shows pics of the clips above the sliding hatch.
It also needs sliding on an Ocean as slides into gaps on the fixed part above the doors.

This is it T6.1 but it may help jump to 4.12 in the video

Given it is brand new I would be going back to the dealer with it for some help. Hopefully that’s not too inconvenient for you. At least this way if they break anything trying to open it, it’s on them. Could be jammed with some canvas stuck in it, I assume they open the roof as part of the pdi checks?

The roof canvas on the T6.1 is heavier than on previous models, which means that opening and closing the shutter can be very tight. It will probably get easier with time, but when mine was new I really struggled. It is important to arrange the canvas evenly so that it does not impede the shutter, especially at the sides. Since yours is absolutely new, it is possible that the canvas has not been correctly arranged, and hence you have a problem!

It really is just brute force that is needed, but I quite understand your reluctance to risk breaking something. If you really cannot move it, I suggest you take a trip to the dealer - if they break it, they will have to fix it!

Due at the dealer tomorrow to get the missing BEACH sticker. It’s not far away. So hopefully can get this sorted as well.
I agree with @Mr T that is makes sense to let the dealer force it in case it gets damaged. Or as @Rololux suggests it has been incorrectly folded and so is stuck.

No, the Ocean Roof can be partially opened without the hatch having to be opened first, if the bellows is impeding the opening of the hatch.

Due at the dealer tomorrow to get the missing BEACH sticker. It’s not far away. So hopefully can get this sorted as well.
I agree with @Mr T that is makes sense to let the dealer force it in case it gets damaged. Or as @Rololux suggests it has been incorrectly folded and so is stuck.
Good luck, hope it’s easily sorted for you tomorrow.

A random thought. Would putting the heater on perhaps help. Was around freezing y’day. Maybe the metal frame would expand a bit and make the sliding of the hatch easier?

Good luck, hope it’s easily sorted for you tomorrow.
I know exactly what you mean. We looked at a brand new Coast demonstrator and I could budge the door even a few mm. It just felt so wrong to be pulling that hard on a piece of brand new plastic. Our Coast is still on order, and having specc'ed the front opening bellows, I am really hoping that it's not the extra bulk that is causing this kind of issue. Will be watching the thread with interest. Hope they sort it for you promptly tomorrow.

I know exactly what you mean. We looked at a brand new Coast demonstrator and I could budge the door even a few mm. It just felt so wrong to be pulling that hard on a piece of brand new plastic. Our Coast is still on order, and having specc'ed the front opening bellows, I am really hoping that it's not the extra bulk that is causing this kind of issue. Will be watching the thread with interest. Hope they sort it for you promptly tomorrow.
From other posts I think it is the panoramic window. So we’ve gone from a hatch that opens itself whilst driving to one that is very difficult to budge. Progress?

Hi Alison,

the straps that attach to the roof securing buckles are similar to seat belt webbing, it is possible that the straps (either side) are touching the tambour hatch causing the tambour hatch ribs to catch on the webbing consequently preventing it from sliding back.
the webbing / buckles are located just in front of the upper bed, try banging the tambour hatch, either side this could pop the webbing up enough to open the hatch, with the added benefit of breaking any seal between that may have formed between the aluminium guide rail and the tambour hatch.

heater on high. may work, worth a try.

If it help visualise the potential issue and the set up of buckle and webbing I can take some photos and post them here ?

Picture of the webbing and location showing the potential for the webbing to catch on the tambour hatch !
as you can see the webbing hangs down at the same level as the tambour hatch

131B941B-0B0E-48AF-AA27-84EF1017D273.jpeg

4955BBBE-D6E6-4DB6-97E3-36C5B3726172.jpeg

25A3BBF4-3385-45E1-8B65-70A311BF7D70.jpeg

Last edited:
If it help visualise the potential issue and the set up of buckle and webbing I can take some photos and post them here ?
I watched the video in link from @BeagleMum so think I know how it works.
Need to wait for rain to stop before I head out to play...

Just seen your post above doh,
hopefully the pics may be of use to others.

one thing Chris doesn’t show in his vid, is that the webbing has a little extension piece on either side, it extends past the securing buckle (roof canvas side) and is used to protect the canvas from being trapped in the roof securing buckle. ( avoid damage to the bellows canvas)

ensure that when the roof is lowered the roof canvas is tucked behind the webbing extension before clipping the roof buckle in. :thumb
good luck with the tambour issue

Back