Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to reach the top box!

S

Sleepytortoise

Vehicle
Looking to buy
We had an old to box which luckily fits our new (to us) Cali. But how do people reach it to get stuff in and out when off camping? I've seen people using those folding work platforms and bought one of those but it's fairly chunky - which obviously takes to a date bit of storage that the top box was supposed to be saving us! So wondered if there was another note compact option that people have tried? I've seen small step Ladders but not sure they'd be much less bulky than the work platform which at least can be used as a small child's table as a secondary use.

Thank you. I'm only 5ft 8 and husband about 5ft 11 so don't think that will work for us! Where do you store your platform in transit/overnight? Just in the boot or somewhere clever I haven't thought of? We wouldn't need it for an overnight or two but planning a three week trip to Scotland in the summer so figure we'll need it then.

Stand on the wheels, box mounted on the left hand side of the roof - it's hinged on the r/h side, half width box. Can easily access contents.

Stand on the wheels, box mounted on the left hand side of the roof - it's hinged on the r/h side, half width box. Can easily access contents.
Will give this a go thanks though it's a full width box

I don't have a roof box, but I bring a fold up stool in our California. Ours is taller than a standard fold up stool (about the same height as the wheel) and is handy for a number of jobs. I can stand on it to reach the roof of the van. It folds up flat and is kept at the side of the boot. It also earns its keep as an additional seat when eating outside. Purchased for about €14 in our local Woodies DIY shop (we're in Ireland).

We had an old to box which luckily fits our new (to us) Cali. But how do people reach it to get stuff in and out when off camping? I've seen people using those folding work platforms and bought one of those but it's fairly chunky - which obviously takes to a date bit of storage that the top box was supposed to be saving us! So wondered if there was another note compact option that people have tried? I've seen small step Ladders but not sure they'd be much less bulky than the work platform which at least can be used as a small child's table as a secondary use.
I bought a small aluminium ladder, sawed it in half and stow it mounted behind my bike rack -> Held in place with 2 bungy cords. Perfect. (I’m also 6ft)

Back