Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to remove rear seat headrests?

R

Racingt

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all, we don’t take rear seat passengers, and want the storage space, how can we remove these on a T6? Thx!

Hi all, we don’t take rear seat passengers, and want the storage space, how can we remove these on a T6? Thx!
Interested to see how you gain extra storage?

We fold them down, hence they take boot space

If you don't fold them down when the seat is upright, they only take the lower boot space that was occupied by the seat base before you slid it forwards. Hence, they only take the lower boot space when you're storing stuff behind the seat after you slid it forwards.

My take on this is that when you make up the bed the folded back headrests will occupy a fair bit of space under the bed which could be used for storage of essentials like really useful boxes....full of ???

My take on this is that when you make up the bed the folded back headrests will occupy a fair bit of space under the bed which could be used for storage of essentials like really useful boxes....full of ???
Is that not the space normally occupied by the drawer?

No !
Or.. on reflection Yes !!
Rather that space is either drawer seat mode or headrests bed mode

Last edited:
If you don't fold them down when the seat is upright, they only take the lower boot space that was occupied by the seat base before you slid it forwards. Hence, they only take the lower boot space when you're storing stuff behind the seat after you slid it forwards.
I’m sorry, I’ve read this five times, and I cannot understand what you are saying.

I’m sorry, I’ve read this five times, and I cannot understand what you are saying.

What I’m saying is, the space where the headrests go when the bed it laid flat isn’t space that you can use to store stuff when the seat is upright and slid back, so you’re not losing day storage space.

The headrests do project slightly into the above bed shelf storage area if you fold them down when the seat is upright but that problem can be solved by keeping them up whilst travelling iykwim.

We have removed ours for the same reason. Normally we sleep upstairs but when conditions don't allow it then downstairs so all the stuff in the boot has to be moved. As much as possible goes in the space vacated by moving the seat forward and if the headrests are still on then this space is limited. Also it gives a better view out of the rear window

If the rear seat is used when travelling... with passengers, I would expect that in the event of an accident which resulted in injury , that the insurance company and possibly the police would take a dim view. I see them as head restraints not head rests.

If the rear seat is used when travelling... with passengers, I would expect that in the event of an accident which resulted in injury , that the insurance company and possibly the police would take a dim view. I see them as head restraints not head rests.
Agree entirely, replaced for passengers

Yes, but if only travel two people in the Cali, you can take them off, nobody will site when traveling.